CastAway

Notable Coronavirus Victims

15 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

American lawyer Fred Levin dead from COVID at 83. Would list some of his achievements here, but you need to click on his Wikipedia page as it is an all time HoF-er for "he clearly wrote his own Wiki".

Change the pronouns from "he" to "I" and it's an autobiography. 8000 words!

On 14/01/2021 at 11:03, CoffinLodger said:

Andy Murray tests positive...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/55641670

Well, there's a first time for everything...

• Like 2

On 25/03/2020 at 18:23, Il Magneto said:

Basketballer Karl Anthony Towns mother is in induced coma with Corona. Appealing to a generation of unconcerned American kids to take this thing seriously

Karl-Anthony Towns, who lost half of his family (6 members) to COVID, tests positive to COVID-19.

On 03/10/2020 at 18:06, Joey Russ said:

Not only did Robin Hanbury-Tenison beat COVID, but he has now climbed another mountain. Great for him!

Very good short doc on Robin H-T on iplayer here.

Came so close to dying. Only reason he survived was because his lungs were used to being put under added strain from his mountaineering. The extent of his recovery is incredible though he has “long COVID”. He’s fundraising to create more recovery gardens in hospitals around the U.K. as he believes this was key to his recovery.

37 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

He’s not fundraising to create more recovery gardens in hospitals around the U.K. as he believes this was key to his recovery.

Ungrateful bastard! 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Ungrateful bastard! 

For some reason my phone sticks that “not” in front time to time! No idea why!

A former mayor of the South Carolina city of Myrtle Beach has died of complications from COVID-19, the city reported Sunday.

The city’s website says John Rhodes died Saturday night.  Rhodes served as mayor from January 2006 through December 2017.

SC

• Like 1

On 27/08/2020 at 19:19, drol said:

Varavara Rao discharged.

In hospital again.

15 minutes ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Zimbabwean politician Aeneas Chigwedere, who served as the Minister of Education, Sports, and Culture from 2001 to 2008, died at 81 years. another Covid-victim.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/africa/zimbabwe-s-former-education-minister-dies-of-covid-19/2119254

Could be my imagination but I think I keep reading about African politicians dying of Covid - officially only 83,000 people have died of Covid across the whole continent of Africa  since this started so considering population size seems unusual we should keep getting public figure hits (unless numbers are not correct).

Also seems strange that the WHO were bothered about Africans and poor countries getting the virus when according to the official figures the vast majority of people dying are in the rich countries.

In summary - wonder if the African numbers are massively understated? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Could be my imagination but I think I keep reading about African politicians dying of Covid - officially only 83,000 people have died of Covid across the whole continent of Africa  since this started so considering population size seems unusual we should keep getting public figure hits (unless numbers are not correct).

Also seems strange that the WHO were bothered about Africans and poor countries getting the virus when according to the official figures the vast majority of people dying are in the rich countries.

Given the Russian numbers are still being counted as circa 60k when they admitted it was over 180k 3 weeks ago (worldometer hasn't counted those and most news sourcs are using them...) I think most countries figures are probaby rubbish.  (Just rubbish in that they're low. Imagine how big the UK's would be if they were still counting deaths from covid after 28 days of first test - and as much as the joke about folk getting hit by buses and being counted exists, folk dropping off the government figures because they die 2 months later are still dying because of covid.)

Also with the amount of announced cases, and a standard 0.5% death rate (that's a low estimate of course), you'd have about 5 million deaths - and we have 2.1 million announced. So either despite the visible effects on the worlds health services and communities, covid doesn't harm as many, or there's a lot of fudging of figures going on. And given our cash strapped health service doesn't collapse any time there's a basic flu outbreak with a lower death rate, I'm forced to assume the latter, old chap!

So the virus is currently ravaging cabinet level politicians in Zimbabwe.

19 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

I think, that's definitely the case. Many African countries (also poor regions of India, Pakistan, etc....) might lack the diagnostic tools to discover the COVID cases.

If you look at the statistics of very developed countries, take Switzerland for example, about 6% of the population had Covid. Now, Switzerland was fairly liberal until quite recently, but they have the ability to diagnose almost all of their COVID cases. I think it's reasonable to assume that about 5-6% of the world population has had COVID by now.

Which means that instead of the 100 Million official cases, we have had about 350 Million cases. In terms of death rates, even in developed countries, we have a death rate of roughly 1-2%. So think we have had about 3,5-7 Million COVID deaths by now, instead of the roughly 2 Million "official" deaths.

• Like 2

Something tells me there will be a lot more prominent African COVID deaths to come.

Waka waka, eh eh.

A0E2AC9B-6F56-406F-9239-24B703220B02.jpeg

• Haha 2

Indeed it is spreading to Africaa and data are dramatically underestimated. Among nations heavily hit are Swaziland (both Prime Minister and Anglican Bishop of eSwatini dead from it), South Africa, Namibia (disappointed Nujoma survived), Zimbabwe (two government ministers dead), Burundi (likely Nkurunziza himself and former President Buyoya) and Ghana (former president Rawlings). Kenya and Tanzania seems to have been spared for now. Notable deaths are quite the only way to monitor the pandemic in those places, sadly death of common people is not really noted.

• Like 1

Speaking of Africa being hard hit, Zimbabwean Transport Minister Joel Biggie Matiza has died. Will there be a Cabinet left by the end of the month?

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Speaking of Africa being hard hit, Zimbabwean Transport Minister Joel Biggie Matiza has died. Will there be a Cabinet left by the end of the month?

"He becomes the fourth Minister to perish as a result of Covid-19 related complications following the demise of Perrance Shiri, Dr Ellen Gwaradzimba and Dr Sibusiso Moyo"

I smell a Cup theme team there....