Paul Bearer

King Charles III

Coronation set for 6 May then, four weeks earlier than many expected. A man in a hurry I guess ... 

At least in terms of short-lived heads of state, he's already outdone William H Harrison and John Paul I. 

• Like 4

Has a British monarch ever died before their official coronation?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, markb4 said:

The short answer is no, if you take 'British' to mean after the Act of Union in 1701. Prior to that, Edward V (April to June 1483) was deposed by his uncle Richard, confined in the Tower with his brother and never seen again. Sweyn Forkbeard (40 days in 1013-14) and Lady Jane Grey (July 1553) also went uncrowned, but they are disputed monarchs who don't appear on every list.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, markb4 said:

Nearly Edward VII. 

His was postponed for a couple months in 1902 after he was forced to have an operation. If he didn’t have it he would’ve died. 

Charles is in fairly robust health for 74. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Edward VIII abdicated before he was officially crowned so technically yes.

In other news according to Meghan Markle stans Archie's birthday is on May 6th and so they put it at that date to overshadow her and Harry.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

Edward VIII abdicated before he was officially crowned so technically yes.

In other news according to Meghan Markle stans Archie's birthday is on May 6th and so they put it at that date to overshadow her and Harry.

Maybe he chose that date so they couldn’t leave the kids behind in America this time for one or two reasons:

1) The King knows they won’t bother coming.

2) The King knows they will have to bring his grandchildren so he actually gets to meet them. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Maybe he chose that date so they couldn’t leave the kids behind in America this time for one or two reasons:

1) The King knows they won’t bother coming.

2) The King knows they will have to bring his grandchildren so he actually gets to meet them. 

It’s hard to imagine them not coming. Charles is sensitive to the fact that while they pretty  unpopular in the UK and haven’t been politicised that much they still quite popular in some majority non white commonwealth countries where the Oprah interview went down well and was politicised. So if they not there it will be exploited in those countries as royal racism, 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It’s hard to imagine them not coming. Charles is sensitive to the fact that while they pretty  unpopular in the UK and haven’t been politicised that much they still quite popular in some majority non white commonwealth countries where the Oprah interview went down well and was politicised. So if they not there it will be exploited in those countries as royal racism, 

Aye, he hates the gingers sure enough.   

• Like 1

I suppose Harry could come on his own, but is a child's birthday really such a big deal? Archie will have many more birthdays, a Coronation comes along once in a generation. No doubt he will have to choose between his wife and his family, again. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

I suppose Harry could come on his own, but is a child's birthday really such a big deal?

It is when you are influencers like Harry and Meghan. 

Mind you, I suppose it depends what their therapist thinks. 

• Like 1

I’d love to have him on the 2023 list just out of wishful thinking. But alas these Windsors tend to rack up the years into their 90’s. This meddling, tetchy old fart will probably last for a good 20 years yet. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Coronation set for 6 May then, four weeks earlier than many expected. A man in a hurry I guess ...

I suspect this was decided by government as much as anything else. They don't like Bank Holidays due to the cost to the economy so the idea of creating another next year is not very appealing. This way, they can move the early May Bank Holiday from Monday to Friday and cover it that way.

Just another way Loopy Liz is standing firm to the new King, having already told him that he can't got to COP 27. Because, of course, caring for the planet is not a politically neutral viewpoint. :facepalm:

• Like 2

At this rate, he will easily beat his mother's record of seeing prime ministers come and go.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

He meets the new PM on Tuesday, so he should be dead by Friday? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

He meets the new PM on Tuesday, so he should be dead by Friday? 

Perhaps Liz will do for him on her way out. "I'll 'dear oh dear' you." 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cerberus said:

Perhaps Liz will do for him on her way out. "I'll 'dear oh dear' you." 

As long as he doesn’t confuse Rushi as his shoe buffer…

#TheWindsors

• Like 1

Charles' staff led a "smear campaign" against Diana, it is claimed: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-11439665/King-Charles-staff-led-smear-campaigns-Diana-expert-claims.html

I look forward to William, coming out and reading a long condemnation and demanding justice, just as he did with Bashir.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Charles' staff led a "smear campaign" against Diana, it is claimed: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/galleries/article-11439665/King-Charles-staff-led-smear-campaigns-Diana-expert-claims.html

I look forward to William, coming out and reading a long condemnation and demanding justice, just as he did with Bashir.

As I remember it, Diana's own pity plays did a lot to suggest that she was unstable.

12 minutes ago, Toast said:

As I remember it, Diana's own pity plays did a lot to suggest that she was unstable.

No doubt they were both at it. By the time of the split, Diana had learned everything she needed to know about how to play the media, the paparazzi and the public - but from the masters of that, the Royals themselves.

As I say, if there was such a smear campaign, William should come out and condemn it publicly, as he did with Bashir. Otherwise he's as much a hypocrite as anyone. And he won't, will he? :P

2 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

As I say, if there was such a smear campaign, William should come out and condemn it publicly, as he did with Bashir. Otherwise he's as much a hypocrite as anyone. And he won't, will he? :P

can-of-worms.jpg.8b6293a5798a39106fedfdf3acb03ba3.jpg

• Like 2

I loved that the King banned Foie Gras in the royal house, and I was very happy to know that he is an animal advocate CONGRATULATIONS King Charles III

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, diego said:

I loved that the King banned Foie Gras in the royal house, and I was very happy to know that he is an animal advocate CONGRATULATIONS King Charles III

Gonna ditch the Bearskin hat as well is he? The animal lover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redrumours said:

Vai abandonar o chapéu Bearskin também é? O amante dos animais.

I hope so, and as soon as possible, not only there but all over the world, as it is totally unnecessary, as well as Foie Gras, which is very cruel

• Like 2

New 50p coins in circulation as of today (previously only available at an inflated mark-up from the Royal Mint).

4.9 million isn't very many in terms of a coin mintage though - roughly one in 14 in the UK will be able to get one. Less than that in practice, as I suspect they get hoovered up by Post Office and bank staff. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63888781

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

4.9 million isn't very many in terms of a coin mintage though - roughly one in 14 in the UK will be able to get one. Less than that in practice, as I suspect they get hoovered up by Post Office and bank staff.

It's only the first batch.  You're right about them not making it into general circulation though - look out for them on Ebay.

• Like 2