msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Absolutely love this team name, ngl: VIRUS? WHAT VIRUS? CORONA'S A BEER!

7 hours ago, Predictor said:

I see that there are still a few questionable "theme" teams. Take the random category one, for instance. Not only do the 20 celebrities have nothing in common with each other, once the randomization was done, all the names then went through an active selection process to weed out the bad ones. How the fuck is a specific selection process considered a theme team? It's one thing if you have no choice but to go with the first 20 names that come up. :lol:

It's a team with a clear and specific premise that obviously disqualifies it from serious competition, with a narrow enough purview that it has 13 unique picks. Sorry for coming up with a theme team concept more creative than 20 Cunts With The Same Career, I guess?

A big thank you to the Holy Trinity of DDP! :bow:

You did a great job and I cannot imagine how much work that was and how much time you've invested!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

My teams all look to be correctly transcribed, thanks for all the effort put into this.

• Thanks 1

On ‎07‎/‎01‎/‎2021 at 16:24, Ulitzer95 said:

Not trying to burden you guys with more work but any chance you could copy and paste the list of rejected names here once you’ve finished? 

I’d be really interested to see where the line has been drawn and for the sake of picking appropriately towards future entries for myself and others etc. etc.

The full list of picks rejected (other than because they died before kick off or were duplicate entries) is as follows:-

Dorothy Pollack

Claude Guyon (although would probably have been allowed if we had been able to identify who this was soon enough)

Margaret Keenan

Laura Nuttall

Dr Zuzuna Brabcova

Khalid Bin Mohnsin Shaeri

Andrea Swift

Nikki Jenkins

Julian Fiano

Bhad Bhabie (on age though so would have been disqualified in previous years too)

Katie Brickell

Sammy Basso

Allan Jordan

Andy Hoffman

William Shakespeare (the jab one)

Vivienne Player

Danielle Rosher

Bryson Foster

Of those the multiple picks were Margaret Keenan, Andrea Swift and Julian Fiano. The rest were just picked once.

These were all agreed by the Committee - feel free to discuss amongst yourselves but please don't expect the Committee to justify every single decision versus a pick that was allowed because the new rules have definitely improved the game and picking where that line should be drawn is always going to be difficult PLUS there are still a lot of proper DDP jobs to be getting on with.

Cheers, GUN

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Well I have 16 uniques on my Theme team can't really complain about Fay Weldon as her ill health was all over the papers in the Autumn. Clive Barker was picked by a Liverpool theme team and Larry Niven and Melvyn Bragg were not surprised.

Fourteen uniques on Unusual Suspects but this team normally does not do well. There is a reason other people do not pick them

• Like 1

12 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Hmm...only 19 out of 20 uniques on my main team. :rant:

Others much as expected.

Is there any reason why Gerry Marsden isn't crossed out yet on my Hits of 36 Years Ago team? He is marked as dead on the celeb list.

Ray Jackson of Lindisfarne is marked as having been born in San Antonio, Texas, but I believe Wiki on Wallsend, Northumberland! DoB is fine.

Great work though guys! 

Curiously, almost none of the hits are marked as dead. I wonder why that is. Will check later.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Nick Hitchon a pick for 3 teams I see. Obit should come in next few days. 

Great age. 115 Up? :P

CFFD8F5D-82D2-4041-9011-7EDAAAF17B5D.jpeg

So, I saw two notifications online - now down to one which is deaddeath (not always reliable). Banana posted on Deathrace to say he isn't dead. Anyone seen owt conclusive re him dying (11 Jan if we believe deaddeath)

Oh aye and... :clap:and :bow: for getting this up so quickly

Personal musings - LOADS of us picked Parker and loads of those who did went the full monty and have him as joker. His fate may well determine the podium to some extent. 

Somewhat surprised to get the current head of ISIS as a unique (I wouldn't want to sell life insurance to anyone doing that job) - here's Wikipedia's little head shot should you need it!

Hajji%E2%80%98Abdallah.jpg

• Like 1

Okay, I have started a list of necessary database changes, but I might not get around to do this for a couple of days.

But I will collect everything you find, thanks a lot!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Oh aye and... :clap:and :bow: for getting this up so quickly

Personal musings - LOADS of us picked Parker and loads of those who did went the full monty and have him as joker. His fate may well determine the podium to some extent. 

You are underestimating the 6ix9ine factor,  6 times joker in 9(+2) teams :pop:

As I was checking out my team (Deceased Hose) I noticed that the Steve Smith you have for me is not the right one.  The spreadsheet said "NFL Running Back with ALS".

You gave me a drummer but it's this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Smith_(running_back)

12 minutes ago, deadsox said:

As I was checking out my team (Deceased Hose) I noticed that the Steve Smith you have for me is not the right one.  The spreadsheet said "NFL Running Back with ALS".

You gave me a drummer but it's this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Smith_(running_back)

Yeah this is another case of sacrificing some accuracy for the job taking a bearable amount of time.

You submit Steve Smith and 19 other names - I get them into the right format and dump them into the excel spreadsheet which searches for the data in the celebs database.

If it finds the right name then it gets a Celeb code and I don't look at it again - I only check the ones where there is no match to the database. 

So despite you sending the info in I don't use it unless the Celeb doesn't match and so we finish up in situations like this where the wrong celeb has been allocated.

Nevertheless now you review your team, inform us it's the wrong pick and we have your email which proves who you intended to pick - so the system works but a little part of the discovery system is you, the entrants, checking your own teams.

There were about 845 new picks this year and about 1100 to 1200 Celebs (excluding the obvious misspellings which I correct at the time) that didn't match to be pared down to this number. So about 9,000 of the picks simply got edited to the correct format and banged into the spreadsheet and never looked at again. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Yeah this is another case of sacrificing some accuracy for the job taking a bearable amount of time.

You submit Steve Smith and 19 other names - I get them into the right format and dump them into the excel spreadsheet which searches for the data in the celebs database.

If it finds the right name then it gets a Celeb code and I don't look at it again - I only check the ones where there is no match to the database. 

So despite you sending the info in I don't use it unless the Celeb doesn't match and so we finish up in situations like this where the wrong celeb has been allocated.

Nevertheless now you review your team, inform us it's the wrong pick and we have your email which proves who you intended to pick - so the system works but a little part of the discovery system is you, the entrants, checking your own teams.

There were about 845 new picks this year and about 1100 to 1200 Celebs (excluding the obvious misspellings which I correct at the time) that didn't match to be pared down to this number. So about 9,000 of the picks simply got edited to the correct format and banged into the spreadsheet and never looked at again. 

Please believe me that I'm not criticizing you.  I have nothing but respect for the work you and the others have done to put this pool together.

• Thanks 1

The statistics:

514 teams

10274 picks

3426 different celebs picked.

I think the latter number might change by 2-3. So yeah, that's the kind of difference that is left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Okay, I have started a list of necessary database changes, but I might not get around to do this for a couple of days.

But I will collect everything you find, thanks a lot!

I did happen to notice that someone selected Donato Bilancia, who died in December

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, deadsox said:

Please believe me that I'm not criticizing you.  I have nothing but respect for the work you and the others have done to put this pool together.

Thanks - no criticism was taken I just think sometimes it helps to explain the process otherwise you guys are left thinking - wtf, I gave him the details and he ignored them. :D

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Thanks - no criticism was taken I just think sometimes it helps to explain the process otherwise you guys are left thinking - wtf, I gave him the details and he ignored them. :D

Some picks were also left to a sort of educated guessing game for the Cmme. One or two picks I took the educated guess they meant the person still alive and not the one dead for twenty years... :lol:

Two footballers on Not Gone Yet Still Forgotten? Including one who played in a World Cup? Mainstream sellouts....

• Haha 2

Don't Eat The Figs has Barry Cryer twice on their team.

I assume that's because they didn't make a twenty, but they'd better not get double points! :lol:

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Don't Eat The Figs has Barry Cryer twice on their team.

I assume that's because they didn't make a twenty, but they'd better not get double points! :lol:

Ah that is a fuck up that shouldn't happen - the conditional formatting picks up duplicates - for some reason it's not set up on that spreadsheet (which means I should check all 18 sheets) - Phil Collins their first sub should come into team.

Reptile not sure if you would want me to do changes like this and resubmit master sheet to you or if it is all just going to happen in Access now?

Cheers, GUN

• Like 1

With Andrea Swift rejected then we can safely all family of the famous are banned unless they have a career of their own. Not sure why it was said most would count when it's clear from that rejection the majority won't.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Ah that is a fuck up that shouldn't happen - the conditional formatting picks up duplicates - for some reason it's not set up on that spreadsheet (which means I should check all 18 sheets) - Phil Collins their first sub should come into team.

Reptile not sure if you would want me to do changes like this and resubmit master sheet to you or if it is all just going to happen in Access now?

Cheers, GUN

On it.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

With Andrea Swift rejected then we can safely all family of the famous are banned unless they have a career of their own. Not sure why it was said most would count when it's clear from that rejection the majority won't.

As there's no decent Judgement Call gifs, here's Robert Kilroy-Silk: