Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to confound sceptics and be its most powerful yet like a super strong enema in 2024 moreso than recent years equalling or even beating 2020

6 hours ago, arghton said:

Zhang Lixiong and Steve McMichael both seem very good examples of how much a life can be prolonged because family can't let go.

Also include surfing legend Sunny Garcia on this list.  His present state is a complete mystery but after his attempted suicide, several years ago, his family decided to keep him alive as, basically, a potted plant.

• Sad 1

Ok, since this seems yet another wasted day, in order to protest, I'll refrain from watching the DL forums or the recent deaths wiki page for a week starting from now.

I'll surely be back to many surprises <_<

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, drol said:

Ok, since this seems yet another wasted day, in order to protest, I'll refrain from watching the DL forums or the recent deaths wiki page for a week starting from now.

How can you stay away from all the action? You'll be missing high profile deaths like "Khaled Al-Saif, 55, Saudi businessman and watch enthusiast" and "Annick Balley", 59–60, Beninese journalist". News of their demise had me on the edge of my seat.

Even the Old Crem and diego don't cover deaths as exciting as this!

• Haha 6

37 minutes ago, drol said:

I had a period when I checked recent deaths once a weak but it was still boring and unsatisfying.

Instinctively checking "Deaths In 2024" every time your fingers are idle is a much healthier habit than instinctively clicking on TikTok or Xformerlyknownastwitter. Leaves you less liable to get brainwashed by the Chinese government or Indian cryptocurrency fraudsters as well.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

How can you stay away from all the action? You'll be missing high profile deaths like "Khaled Al-Saif, 55, Saudi businessman and watch enthusiast"  News of their demise had me on the edge of my seat.

Even the Old Crem and diego don't cover deaths as exciting as this!

Al-Saif has a smidgeon of notability in that he was the father of Princess Rajwa of Jordan, wife of Crown Prince Hussein. Basically Jordan's Michael Middleton.

But I still wouldn't have posted about his death here... Mainly as I thought The Old Crem would cover it four days after being on Recent Deaths.

• Haha 1

I would argue the sad deaths of Strictly dancer Robin Windsor and  world cup footballer  Andreas Brehme  ends the dry spell of significant notable deaths some have been talking about. 

2 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I would argue the sad deaths of Strictly dancer Robin Windsor and  world cup footballer  Andreas Brehme  ends the dry spell of significant notable deaths some have been talking about. 

I would argue they don't. Windsor wasn't a household name, hadn't been on Strictly for a decade and if you didn't watch the show the only possible other reason you could've come across him was as the ex-boyfriend of X Factor loser Marcus Collins.

Andreas Brehme was a big but not a huge player, even if he was on a winning World Cup squad. The same can be said of 1/2 of the England squad that won in 1966 before anyone accuses me of having an Anglophile bias.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I would argue they don't. Windsor wasn't a household name, hadn't been on Strictly for a decade and if you didn't watch the show the only possible other reason you could've come across him was as the ex-boyfriend of X Factor loser Marcus Collins.

Andreas Brehme was a big but not a huge player, even if he was on a winning World Cup squad. The same can be said of 1/2 of the England squad that won in 1966 before anyone accuses me of having an Anglophile bias.

Weeeeellll....

Robin Windsor did dance with quite a few of the memorable ladies. Unless you are a Strictly superfan, it's difficult to remember the names of the pro dancers in general (unless they are as handsome as Gorka Marquez, of course!). But he was a rare British dancer, and those of us who know the show are shocked, obvs.

Time off the telly is a dangerous argument. Tell me the last role Gudrun Ure has had, for example. ;)

1 minute ago, YoungWillz said:

Weeeeellll....

Robin Windsor did dance with quite a few of the memorable ladies. Unless you are a Strictly superfan, it's difficult to remember the names of the pro dancers in general (unless they are as handsome as Gorka Marquez, of course!). But he was a rare British dancer, and those of us who know the show are shocked, obvs.

Time off the telly is a dangerous argument. Tell me the last role Gudrun Ure has had, for example. ;)

She's not a big name either though.

• Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

There's no pleasing some people

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She's not a big name either though.

And yet...she has one of those thread thingys here.

It's all subjective whether they are a big name. Windsor at least qualifies as a celebrity, unlike say...Jason Smith.

Given I'm suffering a severe chest infection sort of hoping Gooseberry doesn't count former DDP co-hosts as massive deaths. :o:lol:

• Haha 3
  • Shocked 2

Just now, msc said:

Given I'm suffering a severe chest infection sort of hoping Gooseberry doesn't count former DDP co-hosts as massive deaths. :o:lol:

Get well soon. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Dont panic - I  don't and and if I did I'd make an excemption / exception for you!!

Hope your back to good form soon.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, msc said:

Ah that's shite. Hope it fucks off soon. I had a nasty one back in December.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

To me a notable death is one in which I get a push notification about. I got notifications from BBC, Sky, Mirror and Telegraph about Robin Windsor and the Guardian and BBC Sport about Andreas Brehme,  Therefore on average there is about 7-10 notable deaths a month for me. 

• Like 1

I get that its not a particularly exciting period in term of deaths but I don't think it's that bad. I think we all had great expectations after a busy first half of january and we thought it would go on forever but even if it has slowed down a bit, it's not as concerning as it may seem. I mean Navalny's death, as expected as it was, was still a shock. Jorge Toro, Dries Van Agt and Epstein were notable on the forum, Badinter and Pinera were high profile politicians, Toby Keith and Jonnie Irwin both forum favorites and drop 40 picks, not to quote Malaurie, Jayston, Weathers, Vitorrio Emmanuele… 

I know they are mostly first-half-of-the-month deaths but still, overall I don't think february is that bad. And the month is not over, I feel like a prominent death is coming soon for the list. Keep faith !

• Like 5

Ian Lavender also a big name death 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well tn my own defence and to add further to my point I did say significant notable deaths . I did not go as far as to say big name death. Whilst he definitely isn't a huge name in the sense of a Jimmy Carter,  Pope Francis,  Shirley Bassey or Robert Redford , he definitely isn't as small a name as some of those mentioned on here when people were making the argument that we are in a dry spell. 

I think the amount of media coverage his death has had reinforces my argument. 

Strictly is one of the UKs most watched TV shows. Its level of viewership is one of  the unusual exceptions to the  rule in the fragmented, diverse  multi channel digital TV era.Anyone who works or worked  in a front of shop role as a presenter or professional dancer  in one of the UKs most popular TV shows  is a significant death in popular culture regardless of name recognition. 

Nowadays lots of people don't watch TV soaps and those that do many don't know the names of the shows actors just the characters  but their deaths would definitely be regarded as significant and notable. Strictly has more viewers  than any of the TV soaps. 

Just my thoughts. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Well tn my own defence and to add further to my point I did say significant notable deaths . I did not go as far as to say big name death. Whilst he definitely isn't a huge name in the sense of a Jimmy Carter,  Pope Francis,  Shirley Bassey or Robert Redford , he definitely isn't as small a name as some of those mentioned on here when people were making the argument that we are in a dry spell. 

I think the amount of media coverage his death has had reinforces my argument. 

Strictly is one of the UKs most watched TV shows. Its level of viewership is one of  the unusual exceptions to the  rule in the fragmented, diverse  multi channel digital TV era.Anyone who works or worked  in a front of shop role as a presenter or professional dancer  in one of the UKs most popular TV shows  is a significant death in popular culture regardless of name recognition. 

Nowadays lots of people don't watch TV soaps and those that do many don't know the names of the shows actors just the characters  but their deaths would definitely be regarded as significant and notable. Strictly has more viewers  than any of the TV soaps. 

Just my thoughts. 

Fair enough, but the one thing soaps and Strictly have in common is it’s all old ppl who watch them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Ulitzer95 said:

Fair enough, but the one thing soaps and Strictly have in common is it’s all old ppl who watch them.

Funny, I used to watch four soaps (Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale & Brookside) but went cold turkey on all of them when they went up to 4 or 5 episodes a week.

Back then, pre-internet, I would probably have watched Strictly as there wasn't so much choice of home entertainment, and it would have passed the time.  It holds zero appeal for me now.

That said, it would probably have been on while I was reading a book. I might have looked up from time to time if something happened to catch my attention.

I watched a lot more crap when I was young because options were limited.

• Like 2

The fact that from the obituary headline it was clear what his claim to fame was and he was being reported by multiple media sources it is firmly in the realm of a death that is significant but it might be outside a particular posters field of reference.

I frequently skim over baseball and wrestling deaths as I have little interest in these areas apart from that short period where World Series Baseball players were included in the Scavenger Hunt bingo categories.

The other important  factor is shock deaths of younger celebrities are unlikely to be picks in major games so the impact on the site will be much lower. Gundrun Ure and June Spencer may not be household names but they are on a lot of teams here

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

Funny, I used to watch four soaps (Corrie, Eastenders, Emmerdale & Brookside) but went cold turkey on all of them when they went up to 4 or 5 episodes a week.

Back then, pre-internet, I would probably have watched Strictly as there wasn't so much choice of home entertainment, and it would have passed the time.  It holds zero appeal for me now.

That said, it would probably have been on while I was reading a book. I might have looked up from time to time if something happened to catch my attention.

I watched a lot more crap when I was young because options were limited.

Robin Windsor was one of the dancers when my daughter was a huge strictly fan (buying annuals and everything) after she went to Uni we stopped watching but did watch the most recent series. It is acceptable entertainment, largely inoffensive and compared to some of the hysterical ITV shows quite gentle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I am not old I am eternally 28 and don't you forget it!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2