Lafaucheuse

Twisted DL

Please replace Olivia Newton John with Gianluca Vialli. Thank you.

On 07/11/2021 at 23:38, Lafaucheuse said:

Olivia Newton-John (singer)

May her rest in peace. Just in case, Anne Heche will be the next.

On 09/08/2022 at 09:03, WEP said:

Anne Heche

She is dead! I will choose Salman Rushdie.

• Like 1

On 07/11/2021 at 22:37, Lafaucheuse said:

I'll make sure to make a recap every week (or so) of every death and everyone's points.

:facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Toast said:

:facepalm:

Meanwhile Book is going "de fault, the two greatest words in the English language!"

:D

• Haha 3

I'm going through this to the bitter end B)

• Haha 2

On 07/11/2021 at 16:37, Lafaucheuse said:

New Game 

Make a list of 20 names who could die between 30 November 2021 and 30 November 2022.

--snip

Only a few more months left to go!

It's been a close one, anyone's race!

Who am I kidding....I'm ready for this disappointment to be closed :D

Well Guys I'm so sorry for this, I'm in the middle of the redaction of my thesis which I'm supposed to give back in September and I completely lost track of this game… I'm so very sorry about not haven't been able to properly conduct this game in the last few months but as you can imagine it has been quite intense for me… 

Anyway, I'm thinking about closing this game which has been a test version to open the right game with the 3 subs rule that I've mentioned earlier and which would be more interesting I think.

On 15/03/2022 at 20:06, Lafaucheuse said:

Actually I love hosting this pool but as many of you pointed out, there's some malfunctions in it and I was wondering if it wouldn't be better to open a new one (as some of you said that a pool around march/April would be quite a fresh air) and adding a new rule to prevent this game to be too opportunistic : I was thinking about putting 3 subs in every team. Every time someone on your team dies, your first sub is automatically put on his/her place. Then, every sub moves a way up and you have to choose another candidate to fill the n°3 spot on your sub list. This way, it would prevent people to add unknown people who are so close to death that it's not "fun" anymore. What do you think of this rule ? let me known if this is a good idea or not. 

As I will have finished with my thesis by the beginning of September, I will be able to properly host this game. What do you all think about that ? let me know and again, I'm deeply sorry about this inconvenience. 

• Thanks 2

I think you should end this round a month earlier than planned, i.e. on 31.08.2022 or 30.09.2022. Thus, there is a greater distance to the DDP, for which participants save their best choices.

I can't decide between 10 or 20 picks right now; I think the "3 subs rule" is better than the current rule.

I would give fewer extra points and rework the selection again as this is the most work and very confusing.

There should be a concrete solution to the current round and a declared and official winner, because this game did not initially run as a test version but as a regular game.

Note: If a host runs out of time to host their game (for whatever reason), another player can certainly take over. Just ask ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Book is correct. Please end the game on 31.08.2022 and in September, or after you are done with the thesis work you need to do, eventually declare a winner. 

Please have the new game start on 1.October; that way it is not so near the December rush! (Even if you still choose to end this first game at the end of November, it is ok to start the new version of this game before the end of this one.) I like the «3 Subs Rule» also. @La Faucheuse

• Like 3

Declaring a winner penalizes those who stopped picking players due to the game obviously being dead. 

Any winner from this round or game in general should have a giant asterisk, as it obviously wasn't fair. 

• Like 1

The game was never officially declared over. Players who stopped playing did so voluntarily. Others continued playing voluntarily. There are some games that players continue to play at random even though they are not accompanied by the host throughout, 40:40 or 50:50 for example.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Book said:

The game was never officially declared over. Players who stopped playing did so voluntarily. Others continued playing voluntarily. There are some games that players continue to play at random even though they are not accompanied by the host throughout, 40:40 or 50:50 for example.

Can argue on the semantics if you wish. This game has clearly been dead in the water for months. 

No winner is considered legit in my mind, but I'm just one opinion. Considering you likely have the most points, I do see why you might think differently. ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

well after reading your comments this game will end on 31 of august. A new and fresh game will open on the first of October and you'll have a month to enter your team of 20 celebrities with 3 subs to replace each pick dying. The subs won't count for any point if they die before their apparence on the list. 

Also, I'm wondering : does the point system please you or do you think it needs to be simpler ? I thought maybe it would be better to use the simplest system just like one death = one point no matter how and when it happens. Let me know what you think. 

Finally, a winner will be declared. Book said it well : the game was never closed. You can choose to ignore the winner if you want and think of this game as a test version. I said in a previous post in this game that I was considering this game as a trial one before the official and well-rounded one would come up. That doesn't mean there won't be a winner. 

I'll make a recap of the hits that happened while I was busy. 

Thanks a lot for your answers ! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

well after reading your comments this game will end on 31 of august. A new and fresh game will open on the first of October and you'll have a month to enter your team of 20 celebrities with 3 subs to replace each pick dying. The subs won't count for any point if they die before their apparence on the list. 

Also, I'm wondering : does the point system please you or do you think it needs to be simpler? I thought maybe it would be better to use the simplest system just like one death = one point no matter how and when it happens. Let me know what you think. 

Finally, a winner will be declared. Book said it well : the game was never closed. You can choose to ignore the winner if you want and think of this game as a test version. I said in a previous post in this game that I was considering this game as a trial one before the official and well-rounded one would come up. That doesn't mean there won't be a winner. 

I'll make a recap of the hits that happened while I was busy. 

Thanks a lot for your answers ! 

I think the points system is interesting. Quirky. It makes the pool more unpredictable and unique. It doesn't always make sense to me, such as the penalty for getting a hit the day after one chooses them, and a similar treatment of the final hit of the pool, as there may be a last-minute hit that means further unnecessary reshuffling of the scoreboard, unless this penalty is only awarded when the pool has closed. I presume "first pick" means pick #1 of the list, and so extra points for two first picks dying in quick succession can be easily achieved by using majorly unknown hospice cases that almost guarantee quick hits and that have been all too common in this pool, thus giving an advantage. I am fully aware that some of what I have mentioned is already scheduled to change and shall probably join in in October when the revamped game starts. I wait in anticipation.

I apologise if I have interpreted any of the rules wrongly, and it may confuse me less if it turns out I have.

• Like 2

Two things I have observed about deadpools:

1.  The simplest games are the most interesting.

2.  The more complicated the scoring, the more likely it is that the game will be abandoned by the gamerunner.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Also, I'm wondering : does the point system please you or do you think it needs to be simpler ? I thought maybe it would be better to use the simplest system just like one death = one point no matter how and when it happens. Let me know what you think. 

I agree with what both Toast and you have written. I like the simplest system as well: one death = one point. NO points for the subs if they should happen to die before making the main list. When one pick on the main list dies, the first sub on the list moves up, and the two subs become subs 1& 2; then a new 3rd sub is chosen. When a sub dies a new one should be chosen and put in place three, and the two remaining subs move up.

Thanks for doing all this. I will for sure join your new game. Good luck with your thesis!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

A new and fresh game will open on the first of October and you'll have a month to enter your team of 20 celebrities with 3 subs to replace each pick dying. The subs won't count for any point if they die before their apparence on the list. 

Can you clarify please.  Do we name 3 subs in total, ie nos. 21, 22 and 23?

Then 21 is promoted after a death in the main team, and we name a new sub to go in at 23?  Is that the idea?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

I presume "first pick" means pick #1 of the list, and so extra points for two first picks dying in quick succession can be easily achieved by using majorly unknown hospice cases that almost guarantee quick hits and that have been all too common in this pool, thus giving an advantage.

That's exactly why I decided to add the 3subs rule which will fix the "opportunistic" side of this current game. 

5 hours ago, Toast said:

Can you clarify please.  Do we name 3 subs in total, ie nos. 21, 22 and 23?

Then 21 is promoted after a death in the main team, and we name a new sub to go in at 23?  Is that the idea?

Yes exactly : you'll have to pick 3 celebrities who won't be on your team but will be subs. Every time an actual pick on your list dies, the sub n°1 will automatically take his/her place and subs n°2 and n°3 will move up. Then, you'll have to pick another celebrity to enter the sub team at n°3 etc… This way the game won't be as opportunistic as it was here cause it'll take 3 spots to enter the main team. It'll also probably prevent people of using obscure names without any fame on their own before they were dying.

When a sub dies before being on the list, the remaining subs should move up and another sub should be chosen at n°3. 

18 hours ago, Toast said:

Two things I have observed about deadpools:

1.  The simplest games are the most interesting.

2.  The more complicated the scoring, the more likely it is that the game will be abandoned by the gamerunner.

Yep, that's precisely what I guessed and what happened with me and probably several other players of this game. That's why I think I'll just simplify the rules and probably keep extra points for people with a unique pick for example but not so many points rule which are pretty hard to follow. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Yep, that's precisely what I guessed and what happened with me and probably several other players of this game. That's why I think I'll just simplify the rules and probably keep extra points for people with a unique pick for example but not so many points rule which are pretty hard to follow.

I don't think unique picks will work after a few subs have come into play.   There's nothing to prevent people adding them as subs after the game starts.  You could ban people from using uniques as subs, but it's just one more complication to police. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now here is the recap for the last few months 

Tom Parker dead on the 30 of march which means 1 point for @theoldlady @The Old Crem and @WEP

- C. W. McCall dead on the 1st of April : a unique pick for @gcreptile which means 6 points

- Nehemiah Persoff dead on the 5 of April : unique pick for @chilean way which means 6 points 

- Tom Smith dead on the 6 of April which means 1 point for @wannamaker, The Old Crem, Wep, theoldlady, @Bibliogryphon and myself

- David McKee dead on the 6 of April : a unique hit for bibliogryphon which means 6 points + 2 for two hits in two days which means 8 points

- Michel Bouquet dead on the 13 of April : a  hit for CaptainChorizo and The Daredevil which means 1 point 

Kane Tanaka dead on the 19 of April : a hit for @Book, @CaptainChorizo, @CalebH, MortalCaso and I, which means 1 point

Eric Chappell dead on the 21 of April : a unique hit for @Handrejka which means 6 points

- George Pérez dead on the 6 of May : a hit for wannamaker, @msc, @The Daredevil, Book and @MortalCaso which means 1 point

Boris Pahor dead on the 30 of May : surprisingly a unique hit for bibliogryphon which means 6 points

Davie Wilson dead on the 14 of June : unique pick for gcreptile which means 6 points

- Jean Louis Trintignant dead on the 17 of June : a hit for the Daredevil, Book, @Toast, theoldlady, CaptainChorizo, @Great Uncle Bulgaria and I which means 1 point

- Deborah James dead on the 28 of June : a unique pick for WEP which means 6 points

- Andy Goram dead on the 2nd of July : a hit for Book gcreptile and Toast which means 1point

- Susie Steiner dead on the 2nd of July : a hit for Book, Toast, CaptainChorizo, Great Uncle Bulgaria, msc and I which means 1 point for everyone except for Book and Toast who scores 2 hits on the same day which means 2 points 

- Luis Echeverria dead on the 8 of July : a hit for CaptainChorizo, Wanamaker and theoldlady which means 1point

- Mark Fleischman dead on the 13 of July : a unique pick for Book which means 6 points

- Francisco Morales Bermudez dead on the 14 of July : a unique pick for Chilean Way which means 6 points

- James Lovelock dead on the 26 of July : a hit for @Gooseberry Crumble and CalebH which means 1point

- Nichelle Nichols dead on the 30 of July : a hit for MortalCaso and bibliogryphon with means 1 point

- Olivia Newton John dead on the 8 of august : a hit for WEP, Chilean Way and theoldlady  which means 1 point

- Anne Heche dead on the 12 of august : a unique pick for WEP which means 6 points

- Jeff Burton dead on the 15 of august : a unique pick for Book which means 6 points

- Len Dawson dead on the 24 of august : a unique pick for Book which means 6 points

- Dale Joseph Melczek dead on the 25 of august : a unique pick for Book and 2 hits in 2 days which means 8 points 

here is approximately how it went. The winner of the pool is BOOK with 95 points ! Congrats ! followed by gcreptile with 75 points and msc with 49 points ! 

The pool is closed officially and a new game with a 3 subs rule will open on the 1st of October. 

For those who are mentioned in this post, please let me know if you'd like to be included in this new game (which I'll be able to host correctly considering I'll have finished my thesis on the first of September) and if so, if you'd like to change the list that you submitted on this pool ! 

Thank a lot !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3