Spade_Cooley

Jonnie Irwin

Looks like Jonnie's going down the "speaking to the tabloid press" every few days path when it comings to dealing with his terminal cancer diagnosis. Use this thread to detail all his appearances on Loose Women and the like.

• Like 2

The AA Gill of 2022 imo.

This is information included in the articles posted but I don't think I've seen anyone aknowledge it on here.

He's been told he has 6 months to live.

On the morning commute I actually thought of creating the thread, too, as he is really going to let us know everything.

Read an article in which he wonders if his kids will remember him "if he dies this year", I assume it's meant to be withing the next 12 months, not 2022.

About the six months, I am a bit confused about the timeline. I thought he was initially meant to have six months to live, but then the treatment worked? I could imagine the current articles just run with with the drama. But in any case, he's on some kind of timer.

If he makes it to January, it is an interesting test of one of Spade's theories. (That the Cmme don't tend to pick folk who became famous after the 90s?)

Because he is quite well known, and clearly dying. But also, a modern TV name.

40 minutes ago, msc said:

If he makes it to January, it is an interesting test of one of Spade's theories. (That the Cmme don't tend to pick folk who became famous after the 90s?)

DL deaths born after 1950 and the years in which they became "famous enough for the DL" (obviously there'll be a few years give-or-take here, but the numbers should be roughly accurate no matter how much you want to quibble):

Bernie Nolan - 1974

Genesis P-orridge - 1975

Barry Sheene -1976

Tim Gullikson - 1977
Simon MacCorkindale - 1978

Leon Spinks - 1978

Simon Cadell - 1980

Mark E Smith - 1980

Martin Crowe - 1982

Johnny Clegg - 1983

Laurent Fignon - 1983

Patrick Swayze - 1984

Errol Christie - 1985

Helen Rollason - 1988

Gord Downie - 1989

Sam Simon - 1989

Leah Bracknell - 1989
Abdelbaset al-Megrahi - 1991

John Diamond - 1992

Rush Limbaugh - 1993

Joost van der Westhuizen - 1994

Bill Turnbull - 1994

Hugo Chavez - 1999

Irwin became "DL famous"... 2004? So he would be a big outlier, with only Chavez (a political, rather than pop cultural, figure) coming within a decade of his celebrity.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Perhaps said:

He's been told he has 6 months to live.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

About the six months, I am a bit confused about the timeline. I thought he was initially meant to have six months to live, but then the treatment worked? I could imagine the current articles just run with with the drama. But in any case, he's on some kind of timer.

Yeah same here - initially he sounded like joker city but he was given 6 months in 2020 and now we're in 2022 so hard to judge how much of the clock we've run down. Cancer spread to brain from lungs doesn't sound good though - I think without any further details like all other deadpoolers I can decide 13 months is going to be a stretch.

2 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Yeah same here - initially he sounded like joker city but he was given 6 months in 2020 and now we're in 2022 so hard to judge how much of the clock we've run down. Cancer spread to brain from lungs doesn't sound good though - I think without any further details like all other deadpoolers I can decide 13 months is going to be a stretch.

I think he was given six months in 2020 but then treatment slowed it. But he never went public back then. That he's gone public now suggests not much time left to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

DL deaths born after 1950 and the years in which they became "famous enough for the DL" (obviously there'll be a few years give-or-take here, but the numbers should be roughly accurate no matter how much you want to quibble):

Bernie Nolan - 1974

Genesis P-orridge - 1975

Barry Sheene -1976

Tim Gullikson - 1977
Simon MacCorkindale - 1978

Leon Spinks - 1978

Simon Cadell - 1980

Mark E Smith - 1980

Martin Crowe - 1982

Johnny Clegg - 1983

Laurent Fignon - 1983

Patrick Swayze - 1984

Errol Christie - 1985

Helen Rollason - 1988

Gord Downie - 1989

Sam Simon - 1989

Leah Bracknell - 1989
Abdelbaset al-Megrahi - 1991

John Diamond - 1992

Rush Limbaugh - 1993

Joost van der Westhuizen - 1994

Bill Turnbull - 1994

Hugo Chavez - 1999

Irwin became "DL famous"... 2004? So he would be a big outlier, with only Chavez (a political, rather than pop cultural, figure) coming within a decade of his celebrity.

Of course they also picked Captain Tom Moore who only became famous 8 months before he was picked. I would be surprised they picked him as they never picked other high profile Terminally Ill British youngsters like Tom Parker and Sarah Harding.

• Like 5

In the week of Wilko Johnson's death it seems appropriate to ask if he will be a Wilko or a Tom Parker?

People who've become famous in the last couple of decades are as a rule simply not all that old and unlikely to die with much advance notice. Except in one circumstance: note how many people on that list had cancer.

It was more the lack of interest the committee has had in recent years for the likes of Sarah Harding, Tom Parker, Liam Miller, Pat Smullen etc.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It was more the lack of interest the committee has had in recent years for the likes of Sarah Harding, Tom Parker, Liam Miller, Pat Smullen etc.

Tbh I don’t think one of them was famous enough to appear on the list. Shannen Doherty, Linda Nolan and Newton John are (or were..) way more famous than them, I don’t think it’s a question of age or illness but much more of famousness 

• Like 1

A Place in The Sun host Jonnie Irwin and his wife tell their story https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11570463/A-Place-Sun-host-Jonnie-Irwin-terminal-cancer-celebrate-Christmas.html?ito=native_share_article-top

Christmas interview with Jonnie.Key points:He concedes this is almost certainly his last Christmas and he feels exhausted and drained and is on regular morphine however is still up and about and helping re decorate the house.His cancer is in his lungs liver lymph nodes and brain and he was diagnosed after having the disease for years with it spreading all through his lymph nodes until it pressed on his brain causing symptoms.He has lived so long due to a mutation that made the cancer more treatable however he concedes this has stopped working and even Doctors are shocked at level of recent progression of his disease and its aggressiveness.He is also planning his 50th Birthday next month (10 months early) as he wants to celebrate while he is still able to enjoy it.Says he has months left .Really sad as he has 3 young kids :(

• Sad 5

Didn't he recently say that he was now trying medical marijuana as a therapy?

Anyway, he's now moved on to oxygen therapy:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-11762587/A-Place-Suns-Jonnie-Irwin-reveals-hes-begun-Oxygen-Therapy-amid-battle-terminal-cancer.html

• Like 2

Says he is weak, fragile and has a terrible memory in new update: https://news.sky.com/story/a-place-in-the-sun-presenter-jonnie-irwin-celebrates-50th-birthday-early-after-terminal-cancer-diagnosis-12836164

He has also now prematurely celebrated his 50th birthday, which suggests he probably won’t be alive in November (great news for DDP teams that jokered him). At this rate I doubt he’ll see summer. He’s certainly on track with the 6 month prognosis. 

• Like 1

If he says he has a terrible memory, isn’t that a Catch-22?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 18/03/2023 at 14:45, Sir Creep said:

If he says he has a terrible memory, isn’t that a Catch-22?

Well, someone could tell him that - and show him photographic evidence of stuff he's forgotten. It's heartbreaking to think there are England Rugby World Cup winners who can watch themselves winning that final on video and can't recall playing in the game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

'after revealing it will probably be his last.'

The inclusion of 'probably' is worrying to those of us who have him as our jokers but he's starting to look ill rather than just thin.

I must confess I'm not really liking having him as my joker - getting these regular updates of him and his young family is a bit gruesome but I'm sure it's funding their future financial security.

• Like 3

He’s also said that the reason he hasn’t told his children about his cancer is because he doesn’t want to ‘confuse’ them.

‘I keep being asked, “Are you going to tell them?” but tell them what?’, he added to the publication.

‘It would be horrible news that they’d have to get their heads around. And it would confuse the hell out of Rex – he’s got a shocking enough day coming. Let’s bury our heads in the sand for as long as possible.’

Well, being told out of the blue that their Dad is dead will be "horrible news that they’d have to get their heads around". :facepalm:

That's what was done to me, and it haunts me to this day.  My Dad had cancer too and they must have known for a long time that he was dying.

They should start preparing the kids gently IMO, so it won't come as an unthinkable shock.  They are being selfish.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4