Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

May I raise a debating question please?

What are participant’s views on the RELATIVE scoring between drop 40 and UNIQUE picks, and the RELATIVE reward for choosing one as opposed to the other?

I was going to write a diatribe on my views (and am more than happy to do so) but thought that I would let the membership discuss it first.

OBVIOUSLY nothing in this thread should contribute to a change for the rules of DDP 2023 but MAY - if you decide - be a catalyst for changes to 2024.

PS - if there is a more appropriate thread for this then can someone let me know and can the admins kindly move it there please?

Thank You . 

• Like 1

I've said before, that although the DDP is run quite brilliantly, I've always felt the unique bonus deserves more.

Everyone will pick Pele, and get another 3 points for doing so which is easy and lacks skill, research etc. Picking a good unique - especially these days- is bloody hard and deserves more than just 4 points.

I'd like to see that doubled to eight points myself for 2024.

That's my view, although I know uniques for  theme tems can skew this a bit.

• Like 3

I've always thought 3 bonus points for picking the top 40 most popular picks is a little excessive - it's very Family Fortunes.

For next year I've been trying to mix it up between picks in their 80s that are mostly likely Drop 40 locks and a couple of names that have the potential to be unique. I was lucky this year with Alan Melinek but the PTSD from the no QO for Dan Lacey has made me a little bit more cautious in choosing barrel-scraping picks. Picking the right D40 picks along with the correct terminal cases is definitely the key to a good performance. 

Although was it this year that they changed unique picks to be worth more bonus points that D40s? I'm not complaining about the bonus, as long as unique picks are always seen are more valuable then I'm fine with it.

iirc, the additional bonus points for Drop 40 picks came around from period where both (I think?) Muhammad Ali and the guitarist from Surfer Blood both died, and T-Mib's irritation that the latter was much more significant to the DDP when their respective levels of fame were considered. I definitely feel now that FFBI has been heavily kneecapped, if not eliminated completely (an impossible task, but the level of strictness the committee are operating on seems fame to me) that the D40 bonus should be lowered, but that's a discussion for 2024 now.

• Like 1

On 26/12/2022 at 20:26, Octopus of Odstock said:

I've said before, that although the DDP is run quite brilliantly, I've always felt the unique bonus deserves more.

Bullshit. 

A Unique pick bonus only promotes the non-celeb choices. 

Deadpooling isn’t an intellectual game - it’s a bit of fun. If you want to prove you know something the rest of us tosser don’t, sign up for fucking Pointless. 

• Like 1

I had a member of the New York Dolls as a unique pick one year, anyone claiming that unique picks only prop up non celebs is completely ignorant tbh. Plus there’s many extremely fascinating oldies that are unique picks as well. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Windsor said:

Bullshit. 

Deadpooling isn’t an intellectual game - it’s a bit of fun. If you want to prove you know something the rest of us tosser don’t, sign up for fucking Pointless. 

Dear Whinging Windsor, do you ever have anything positive to say on here? Good grief, you are beginning to be on the same level as Sir Creep on being the amongst the most annoying and ignorant long-term fuckwits on this website.

I fail to see how unique picks promote non-celeb choices. The people that run the DDP, from past to present, seem to me that they're constantly on high alert to make sure no person tries to slip in a name that isn't famous in their own right and ALL DDP picks are of a good standard. But I don't have to explain something to you that's already been explained clearly in the DDP rules. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Perhaps said:

Dear Whinging Windsor, do you ever have anything positive to say on here? Good grief, you are beginning to be on the same level as Sir Creep on being the amongst the most annoying and ignorant long-term fuckwits on this website.

I fail to see how unique picks promote non-celeb choices. The people that run the DDP, from past to present, seem to me that they're constantly on high alert to make sure no person tries to slip in a name that isn't famous in their own right and ALL DDP picks are of a good standard. But I don't have to explain something to you that's already been explained clearly in the DDP rules. 

Unique picks promote nobodies being picked. Fact. These picks have the most obscure claim to fame that will scrape them an obit which means they aren’t actually famous. It ruins the competition for everybody else who either have to accept a more mediocre DDP score by sticking to the original principle of picking 20 actual famous guesses, or having to pick people who they will forget about 6 months after they die. 

Also, who are you? I’ve been in this game long enough not to be ignorant to the arrogant cunts like you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Given we've got the former DDP host who brought in the first ban, that being Octopus and the ban on picking kids in 2008, then here's the FFBI ban co-hosts view. It was Reptile who wanted to boost the number of points for unique picks, and I was sceptical. I thought players would be annoyed by nitpicking changes. But Reptile (and Grim) were supportive of my push for a harsher FFBI ban than people were expecting, and so I in turn backed the 4 points for a unique pick. And I'll admit, I called the "fan reaction" utterly wrong, as it was mostly overjoyed at the move. It benefitted less the likes of Spade and Salmon trying to win, and more your Gooseberry Crumbles with their unique obscure notable knowledge. 

I do still like the Drop 40 bonus though, and if everyone on this forum is gaming it for their jokers, it's still more meritocratic than the unlucky 13th bonus, which was pot luck. I feel like if something was to change, it would be an increase in unique bonuses rather than anything else, and even so, I feel there has to be an upper limit on those.

• Like 7

On the Unique bonuses I could imagine stretching it from 4 to 5 but no higher.

However the increase from 3 to 4 does not seem to have increased the number of new celebrities being added to the database - stats for last 5 years below.

2022 835

2021 850

2020 790

2019 950

2018 837

@Banana - I winced on your behalf at the news about Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI (note correct database spelling everyone) failing health.

I'm sure you will have been editing in Emeritus or massaging the name many times already along with adding (footballer) in front of Pele's name and now not only will there likely be more people entering the name but if either or both of them die that editing will have been in vain and you'll have a mountain load of subbing to do - I have my fingers crossed for you that both of them make it to 2023.

15 hours ago, Windsor said:

Bullshit. 

It's not non-celebs, as regards borderline FFBI.

2 of them are footballers, 1 is a motor racing driver and one is a boxer.

Although irony is with so many people about to drop, I may end up playing none of them.

I could also go for, unique (3) and Drop 40 (2), or maaaaybe unique (4) and Drop 40 (2).

I think the bonusses shouldn't inflate any more, lest the un-bonussed names lose any relevance. I think a 6-7 point name should still be useful.

• Like 2

I like the random bonuses like Unlucky 13 and Party Pooper.  And was there ever a bonus for two hits on the same day?  ISTR it was discussed at some point.

Submitted two lists this year. I updated the one below and a new one.

I was going through lists of previous years I had. And I was amazed how many of those names dropped, but not in the correct year.

I could have done much better if the grim reaper kept his agenda in order!

On 27/12/2022 at 22:30, Windsor said:

Unique picks promote nobodies being picked. Fact. These picks have the most obscure claim to fame that will scrape them an obit which means they aren’t actually famous. It ruins the competition for everybody else who either have to accept a more mediocre DDP score by sticking to the original principle of picking 20 actual famous guesses, or having to pick people who they will forget about 6 months after they die. 

Also, who are you? I’ve been in this game long enough not to be ignorant to the arrogant cunts like you. 

I will defend my juicy unique picks until the end of time!!

Also many of my previous and current unique picks are not nobodies. 

Donald Wetzel a key architect of  ATM cash machines that have surely shaped the modern age? The original  warner of climate change James Lovelock? The semi iconic  author of the original celebrity  revenge  memoir Christina Crawford? Anyone who got decent billing in the golden age of Hollywood Vera Miles,  Jacqueline White- not nobodies.  Patrick Moberly, senior  British diplomat to South Africa in a troubled era, Leonard Hayflick who made instructive studies on human biology,  Ed Fury one of the original bodybuilders who transitioned to eye candy in Hollywoods golden age, Tony Martin who sparked a huge debate in the UK about the right to defend yourself and your property, David Ogilvy former senior staff member to the Queen. Not nobodies in my opinion!

I think uniques enable people who are underappreciated but important people, sometimes even vital cogs in the system,  who showboat less than many famous people,  to gain recognition for example  .

Just my thoughts!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I will defend my juicy unique picks until the end of time!!

Also many of my previous and current unique picks are not nobodies. 

Donald Wetzel a key architect of  ATM cash machines that have shaped the modern age? The original  warner of climate change James Lovelock? The semi iconic  author of the original cele  revenge  memoir Christina Crawford? Anyone who got decent billing in the golden age of Hollywood Vera Miles,  Jacqueline White- not nobodies.  Patrick Moberly, senior  British diplomat to Sputh Africa in a troubled era, Leonard Hayflick who made instructive studies on human biology,  Ed Fury one of the original bodybuilders who transitioned to eye candy in Hollywoods golden age, Tony Martin who sparked a huge debate in the UK about the right to defend yourself and your property, David Ogilvy former senior staff member to the Queen. Not nobodies in my opinion!

I think uniques enable people who are underappreciated but important people who showboat less than many famous people to gain recognition for example  .

Just my thoughts!!

They aren't famous. They're just clever nobody dickheads.

I don't know why I'm concerned. I'm lucky to make the top 200 these days. Ever since they banned picking kids...

19 minutes ago, Windsor said:

They aren't famous. They're just clever nobody dickheads.

I don't know why I'm concerned. I'm lucky to make the top 200 these days. Ever since they banned picking kids...

"They're just"

carrying a lot of weight  in my opinion..maybe too much weight!

It's the qualifying obituary criteria /rules that does the majority of heavy lifting with regards to noteworthiness. 

10 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

On the Unique bonuses I could imagine stretching it from 4 to 5 but no higher.

However the increase from 3 to 4 does not seem to have increased the number of new celebrities being added to the database - stats for last 5 years below.

2022 835

2021 850

2020 790

2019 950

2018 837

@Banana - I winced on your behalf at the news about Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI (note correct database spelling everyone) failing health.

I'm sure you will have been editing in Emeritus or massaging the name many times already along with adding (footballer) in front of Pele's name and now not only will there likely be more people entering the name but if either or both of them die that editing will have been in vain and you'll have a mountain load of subbing to do - I have my fingers crossed for you that both of them make it to 2023.

Most of my time submitting teams so far has been editing spelling mistakes and removing unnecessary nonsense from non-spreadsheet submissions..

So please if you are someone who has not submitted your team, please make sure you're spelling is correct (ideally how Wikipedia spells it). Also, if you can't submit by spreadsheet, please do not number your lists and please follow Firtsname Lastname format.

It truly saves a boat load of time.

And that bugger better make it 3-4 more days.

• Like 1

Idiot question but, assuming I wanted to pick that 87 year old ailing specemin in Australia that several tabloids think may be Lord Lucan - would calling him "Lord Lucan (maybe)" be acceptable? As discussed on the Deathrace thread - I'll allow him picked on that basis safe in the knowledge that his death would be a shoo-in for q/o news coverage. 

TJS in. Mentally locked myself into my picks by midmonth and I didn't have the heart to swap out any interesting oldies for Pope Benedict ^_^

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Prowler0000 said:

When's the cut-off for entries?

31-12-2022 23:59.59 GMT

Hahahahah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Banana said:

Hahahahah

Well better now than 2 days time 

Typical!

Sent in both my entries this morning after holding back in case there's a last minute loss, coz we ALL remember the Betty White fiasco of last year.

& now, we've lost Pele. A true legend. & some easy points...  

Maybe we should do a new pool: celebrity death closest to new years eve. 

• Like 1