Paul Bearer

The deaD of 2023

Juan C. Harriott Jr. died at the age of 86 in 11/sep, he was an Argentine polo player. In 1953 he obtained a polo handicap of 1, and it was soon increased to 3 in the same year. He reached a 10-goal handicap in 1961. He remained at a 10-goal handicap until his retirement in 1980. He held the record for having won the Argentine Open Polo Championship 20 times, the Hurlingham Open 15 times and the Tortugas Opened 7 times. He also holds the record with his Coronel Suárez team of 38 tournaments won. He won the Triple Crown four times (1972, 1974, 1975 and 1977), 2 of them consecutively. Representing Argentina, he won the Copa das Américas in 1966, 1969, 1979 and 1980. He also won the Sesquicentenary Cup in 1966. In 1975 and 1976, with the Villafranca team, he won the Sotogrande Gold Cup, in Spain

https://www.perfil.com/noticias/amp/noticias/murio-juan-carlos-harriott-una-leyenda-del-polo-en-argentina.phtml

220px-Juan_harriott_1979.jpg

Not sure which section this goes in, so putting it here.

Geoff Davies, founder of Liverpool record shop Probe Records, and its spin-off label Probe Plus (home of Half Man Half Biscuit until 2021) has died.

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

BBC and This Morning star Maddy Anholt has died. She was 35. Anholt had been diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of breast cancer. She died following the birth of her daughter.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/14/maddy-anholt-dead-bbc-actor-writer-19498792/

Anybody?

No, me neither.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Anybody?

No, me neither.

Never heard of her. Don’t recognise her from the pics.

Slow news day.

• Like 2

The star appeared on The Emily Atack Show in 2020, the BBC Three sitcom Jerk with Tim Renkow in 2019 and TV show Sunny D opposite Katherine Ryan in 2016

norm_macdonald_all_the_stars_are_here.wmv

25 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Anybody?

No, me neither.

She's less famous than Maddy from The Traitors who once played a homeless woman on Eastenders. 

(Actually that was going to be my joke line, but the Traitors mystic has three times the Instagram followers that this poor dead woman has, whoever she was.)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Anybody?

No, me neither.

She had something. Never heard of her before the inevitable phone in and what she had on Radio5Live with Nikki clean

in the next day or so. 

4 hours ago, alt obits guy said:

BBC and This Morning star Maddy Anholt has died. She was 35. Anholt had been diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of breast cancer. She died following the birth of her daughter.

https://metro.co.uk/2023/09/14/maddy-anholt-dead-bbc-actor-writer-19498792/

Well, she did die following the birth of her daughter, but the latter was last year. What it actually says is that she was diagnosed following the birth of her daughter.

I suppose this misuse of the word "star" to refer to anyone who has been on the telly has led to the word "legend" being used to describe those who have had more of a career in broadcasting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, msc said:

She's less famous than Maddy from The Traitors who once played a homeless woman on Eastenders. 

(Actually that was going to be my joke line, but the Traitors mystic has three times the Instagram followers that this poor dead woman has, whoever she was.)

And now doing a somewhat bizarre Hollyoaks stint as well. 

Looks like John F Charlwood Turner isn't the only Right Livelihood Award winner to have died recently.

Melaku Worede, african crop geneticist has also died:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-023-02735-x

Also a DDP pick for that theme team who now have two outstanding obits.

• Like 2

So, given that the conspiracy theories thread is full of - like - conspiracy theories, it might make sense to post a straightforward death of a conspiracy theorist here as well as there - Kenn Thomas: https://copycateffect.blogspot.com/2023/09/KennThomasObit.html?m=1&fbclid=IwAR2S22NltDFP9oU4h6tCYtu8LUIn603G0u4XX6LIMR0zosen_sQhzYnjLic

Graphic designer Burkey Belser dead at 76. He designed what is usually said to be the most reproduced graphic in history: the "Nutrition Facts" label

how-to-read-nutrition-label-inline-zz-22

• Like 5

Nashawn Breedlove, who starred in 8 Mile and took on Eminem in a rap battle in the film dead at 46.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Where do you post this, cos it seems worth posting - some cnuts just killed a tree that's so iconic it's made the national news: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66947040

That tree was several hundred years old, and of course featured in loads of stuff, but probably most notably Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

I'm more fucking upset about this than I am about Gambon tbh. Just such a horrible thing for anyone to do.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That tree was several hundred years old, and of course featured in loads of stuff, but probably most notably Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves.

I'm more fucking upset about this than I am about Gambon tbh. Just such a horrible thing for anyone to do.

Not the most wooden thing in that movie.

• Haha 4

As is accustomed when a public figure dies, a list of related names. Here's every tree to have won the Woodland Trust's English Tree of the Year trophy:

Major Oak (Nottingham) b. c 1200

Cubbington Pear Tree (Warwickshire) b. c 1750 d. 2020

Sycamore Gap Tree (Northumberland) b. c 1800 d. 2023

Gilwell Oak (Essex) b. c 1600

Nellie's Tree (Yorkshire) b. c 1920

Allerton Oak (Liverpool) b. c 1000

Happy Man Tree (London) b. c 1870 d. 2021

• Like 6