4 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

National Service was ended in 1960, 15 years post-war. With terms of service to be completed, the last National Servicemen were discharged in 1963. 60 years later and apparently our return to the 1960s is nearly complete. Out of Europe, National Service returning, he'll be calling for the death penalty next week.

Calling for the reintroduction of the death penalty according to polling would be more popular than national service by quite a margin.

8 hours ago, Sean said:

It will poll well with  a fair few boomers  and silent generations and potential deserters to reform but it strikes as not that popular overall.Young people will hate it and most people as it has already established on here will see it as an expensive distraction to Rishi's failed 5 pledges.He doesn't have the approval ratings or goodwill of the public to get credit for being bold.Plus yeah parents won't like the undertones of this.

Teenage_Kicks_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sean said:

Calling for the reintroduction of the death penalty according to polling would be more popular than national service by quite a margin.

40% in favour, yes, in 2022, but a vast majority of non-Tory voters opposed and one in three Tories opposed it. So they'd lose more voters than they gained.

They could get it slightly over 50% by going emotive about child killers (because I don't think most would piss on Huntley for example) but my opinion is that Sunak bringing that up during a campaign would be seen as exploitative and backfire.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sean said:

I honestly feel like this will happen during the campaign 

1 hour ago, msc said:

40% in favour, yes, in 2022, but a vast majority of non-Tory voters opposed and one in three Tories opposed it. So they'd lose more voters than they gained.

They could get it slightly over 50% by going emotive about child killers (because I don't think most would piss on Huntley for example) but my opinion is that Sunak bringing that up during a campaign would be seen as exploitative and backfire.

I didn't say it was a good strategy they should use but not as unpopular as national service is.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

And no push back from Laura of course.....

I nearly threw my slippers at the TV throughout that interview.Dont know who annoyed me more The Right Dishonorable James Stupidly of (lacking a) Braintree or Kuenssberg.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

As an aside, probably not Stupidly's greatest tactic to try and make your argument about how rubbish the other side is by smearing a guy who was just elected with an increased majority. But very much on brand for Stupidly. :rolleyes:

The chatter is right.

The proposed National Service is simply community service dressed up as something else.

Yes, that's right, what is proposed is that young people be forced (out of the time spent on their jobs, their studies, whatever) to work for nothing for the State without having done anything wrong. It's the equivalence of bad ones sentenced to community service working alongside teenagers sentenced to community service by their Government.

I think it's easy for millionaires who have done some form of volunteering to say it did me some good, so everyone should do it. Being sodomised at Eton, Rugby, Harrow and Winchester didn't do them any harm either - perhaps that's tomorrow's announcement of compulsory sodomy for everyone - nothing would surprise me at this point.

Remember, when National Service was a thing, the State also offered the opportunity to own your home, a Health Service that looked after you from cradle to grave, free university and college education, a job for life and the freedom to smoke if you wanted to, etc etc. There's nothing much left worth fighting for or volunteering for imo.

State sponsored slavery.

• Like 5

Opportunities for others, mind... :D

FB_IMG_1716721430532.thumb.jpg.4a07c96036aca6b765b6e22e5942687d.jpg

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

The chatter is right.

The proposed National Service is simply community service dressed up as something else.

Yes, that's right, what is proposed is that young people be forced (out of the time spent on their jobs, their studies, whatever) to work for nothing for the State without having done anything wrong. It's the equivalence of bad ones sentenced to community service working alongside teenagers sentenced to community service by their Government.

I think it's easy for millionaires who have done some form of volunteering to say it did me some good, so everyone should do it. Being sodomised at Eton, Rugby, Harrow and Winchester didn't do them any harm either - perhaps that's tomorrow's announcement of compulsory sodomy for everyone - nothing would surprise me at this point.

Remember, when National Service was a thing, the State also offered the opportunity to own your home, a Health Service that looked after you from cradle to grave, free university and college education, a job for life and the freedom to smoke if you wanted to, etc etc. There's nothing much left worth fighting for or volunteering for imo.

State sponsored slavery.

Volunteering is great.I did it as a youngster and it did me good but the clue is in the name .Forcing people to work for free when they aren't  being punished would  get taken to court pretty quickly.

I was just flabbergasted they referred to it as volunteering.That takes the post truth world to a new dimension.

• Like 3

Just now, Sean said:

Volunteering is great.I did it as a youngster and it did me good but the clue is in the name .Forcing people to work for free when they weren't being punished would  get taken to court pretty quickly.

Yeah, I've done the sodomy thing voluntarily and it was great too. :lol:

• Haha 4

Just now, YoungWillz said:

Yeah, I've done the sodomy thing voluntarily and it was great too. :lol:

I will have to take your word on that one! :lol:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

The chatter is right.

State sponsored slavery.

YTS. Much more fun. Got to shag the single teenage mums.

• Haha 1

Am I to assume that this National Service idea will apply to both sexes? If so, I wonder how this will go down with women voters.

Just now, Sly Ronnie said:

Am I to assume that this National Service idea will apply to both sexes? If so, I wonder how this will go down with women voters.

Oh yes, it's an equal form of enforced community service.

On the volunteering thing, I have no problem with those who want to do things voluntarily, for free, for nothing, nada, zip. If you want or need that on your CV, good for you.

However, I learnt under several Governments that working (because that is what it is) for nothing is precisely what they would like you to do. As does business - see the we'll train you for some weeks if that doesn't work out, we'll kick you out and get another wide-eyed idiot in to do the same. 

Where was the promise of well paid high skilled jobs they were talking about oh so recently? I'll tell you - that really was for all the legal immigrants from far and wide, not for you Brits. To allow the financiers and computer folk from America to come in. To allow Sunak and his predecessors to give those jobs to the public school pals and their business mates, not you Brits.

If you are prepared to work for nothing, you can see the greedy buggers at the top salivating at the money they will make while you do the job for them for free.

The idea now is, you aren't prepared to do it for free, so we will force you to do so.

On the bright side, the National Service proposal will encourage young people to come out and vote, despite the obstacles the Tories have put in their way.

They won't be voting Conservative.

• Like 3

Apparently, Britain does not get enough immigrants for the dirty jobs anymore.

29 minutes ago, Toast said:

On the bright side, the National Service proposal will encourage young people to come out and vote, despite the obstacles the Tories have put in their way.

They won't be voting Conservative.

It's yet more fuel to the fire of the speculation that Sunak is trying to lose this election as comprehensively as possible.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

It's yet more fuel to the fire of the speculation that Sunak is trying to lose this election as comprehensively as possible.

Sunak has made money through dodgy betting in a previous life, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to throw the election for political match-fixing.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Oh yes, it's an equal form of enforced community service.

On the volunteering thing, I have no problem with those who want to do things voluntarily, for free, for nothing, nada, zip. If you want or need that on your CV, good for you.

However, I learnt under several Governments that working (because that is what it is) for nothing is precisely what they would like you to do. As does business - see the we'll train you for some weeks if that doesn't work out, we'll kick you out and get another wide-eyed idiot in to do the same. 

Where was the promise of well paid high skilled jobs they were talking about oh so recently? I'll tell you - that really was for all the legal immigrants from far and wide, not for you Brits. To allow the financiers and computer folk from America to come in. To allow Sunak and his predecessors to give those jobs to the public school pals and their business mates, not you Brits.

If you are prepared to work for nothing, you can see the greedy buggers at the top salivating at the money they will make while you do the job for them for free.

The idea now is, you aren't prepared to do it for free, so we will force you to do so.

Don't we already have a volunteer scheme for young people that Cameron brought in? The National Citizenship Service or something? Sure the acronym is NCS, it gets mentioned in school periodically.

29 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Don't we already have a volunteer scheme for young people that Cameron brought in? The National Citizenship Service or something? Sure the acronym is NCS, it gets mentioned in school periodically.

The one that Rishi wanted to shut down as Chancellor but was perseuded not too and just cut it's funding by 2/3's instead

• Facepalm 1

This needs to be circulated widely. 

(I've already seen disinformation on social media that it's already too late to apply.)

https://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/voting-and-elections/voter-id

Don’t have ID? Apply for free voter ID now

If you don't have accepted photo ID, you can apply for a free voter ID document, which is known as a Voter Authority Certificate (Opens in new window). The deadline to apply for a Voter Authority Certificate to vote in the Parliamentary general election on Thursday 4 July is 5pm on Wednesday 26 June.

• Like 4