Joey Russ

Who Should Be On The 2024 Deathlist

Chris Rea has had had more than his fair share of health issues (pancreatic cancer, diabetes, stroke); one to consider.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Chris Rea has had had more than his fair share of health issues (pancreatic cancer, diabetes, stroke); one to consider.

Fool if you think his life is over.

• Haha 1

Lemme just throw this one out there: Philip Zimbardo. Has that aura of low-end Death List about him, in very much a John Nash/Robert Pirsig kind of way. Was a regular tweeter up until January of this year when he just stopped. This is the most recent footage I can find of him, from nine months ago:

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Oscar winner Ellen Burstyn may deserve more consideration 

"I turn 91 in December and I'm busier than I can ever remember being at any point in my career. And I don't understand it at all. I mean, what's all this stuff about ageism in Hollywood? How did I get left out of it? I don't know, except possibly that everybody else who could play those parts has already died, so I'm the only actress still standing who can play the great-grandmother or something."

I think based on this quote from the summer, she is more likely to join DeathList forums than actually appear on the list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

4 hours ago, tracy said:

"I turn 91 in December and I'm busier than I can ever remember being at any point in my career. And I don't understand it at all. I mean, what's all this stuff about ageism in Hollywood? How did I get left out of it? I don't know, except possibly that everybody else who could play those parts has already died, so I'm the only actress still standing who can play the great-grandmother or something."

I think based on this quote from the summer, she is more likely to join DeathList forums than actually appear on the list.

She still plays Stabler's mother on his Law & Order spinoff (so far appeared in 13 episodes in the past few years), so I think she's fine. She seems very busy according to IMDB at any rate...

• Like 1

Shirley MacLaine looks worryingly frail in the article I posted on her thread.

One for 2024?

• Like 1

With Norman Lear and Henry Kissinger dead and Carter all but certain not to see 100, there’s surely no reason not to bring Glynis Johns onto the list now right given the lack of any of real centenarians for the list? Especially since she very much ticks off all the boxes for a Deathlisty name 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

With Norman Lear and Henry Kissinger dead and Carter all but certain not to see 100, there’s surely no reason not to bring Glynis Johns onto the list now right given the lack of any of real centenarians for the list? Especially since she very much ticks off all the boxes for a Deathlisty name 

Maybe Micheline Presle, if I can choose one centenarian, she is an actress maybe not known in the US or the UK, but in France, it's a huge star of Golden age French cinema.

Given they've picked the far more Americentric Lear, if they don't go for Glynis or Eva Marie Saint next year it'll reek of another IM Pei vendetta.

• Like 4

Esther Rantzen. Very DeathListy and very unwell. A gimmie.

• Like 3

With Chomsky not commenting on Kissinger's death as far as I can see, I'd say he definitely should be on the list next year (as long as he doesn't cark it pre-New Year, ofc)

• Like 11

Some names I would strongly consider...

Ted Turner:  the American media mogul was diagnosed with Lewy body dementia back in September 2018.  The usual life expectancy is 5-7 years, so 2024 is right in the sweet spot of that.  

Alberto Fujimori:  former Peruvian president was just released from jail and his health problems are well-documented.  Being allowed to die at home in 2024?

Eva Marie Saint:  the actress would turn 100 on July 4, 2024.

Phillippe de Gaulle:  especially if Delors or Le Pen kick the bucket, might be appropriate to replace them with a French centenarian on the List.  Would turn 102 on December 28.

Tim Curry:  I don't know what y'all think when you see recent pics of him, but he could be a good pick.

Both June Spencer and Glynis Johns make a ton of sense just on age alone, especially Spencer.

Katherine Jackson:  Jackson Family matriarch is 93 and has been rumored to be in frail health for years now.

On my personal top 50 List, I will be including Dikembe Mutombo for sure.  I haven't seen many follow-up details after the announcement in October of 2022 that he was undergoing treatment for a brain tumor, and that certainly worries me.  If it was a glioblastoma, the chances of him seeing 2025 are remote.  Probably not a name big enough for the Committee, though.  

• Like 5

Some people who I think should not be on the 2024 Deathlist:

Franz Beckenbauer - we already have a football legend in the form of Denis Law

Gene Hackman - He seems to be doing fine. His lack of public appearances makes him a boring pick

Bernadette Chirac - Does not seem to be doing fine, but is far less famous and even more boring than Gene Hackman

Emperor Akihito - he's happier, healthier, and more physically active than he was last year.

Buzz Aldrin -

On 20/11/2023 at 11:26, Death Impends said:

DL still needs an astronaut and [Jim Lovell] and Buzz are probably the last from that generation to be well known enough for the front page

between Aldrin and Lovell, Jim is a much better pick.

George Soros - I don't know if you're aware, but this site is search-indexed. The last thing any website needs is a bunch of schizo freaks who think Soros is the antichrist.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, polar duck said:

Franz Beckenbauer - we already have a football legend in the form of Denis Law

Last years DL had two football legends alongside Law, there's easily room for both Law and Beckenbauer on the DL. 

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Grimgrass said:

Last years DL had two football legends alongside Law, there's easily room for both Law and Beckenbauer on the DL. 

Also Beckenbauer arguably trumps Law in the football hierarchy. Beckenbauer both played in and managed a World Cup winning team. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MrWonderful said:

On my personal top 50 List, I will be including Dikembe Mutombo for sure.  I haven't seen many follow-up details after the announcement in October of 2022 that he was undergoing treatment for a brain tumor, and that certainly worries me.  If it was a glioblastoma, the chances of him seeing 2025 are remote.  Probably not a name big enough for the Committee, though.  

I'd argue he'd QO, as the BBC did publish an article about his tumor when it was announced he was in treatment. Could be a solid pick, assuming he's just not keeping a low profile. Don't see much on his social media accounts for example.

• Like 2

On 01/12/2023 at 12:38, wildstorm said:

• Ryan O'Neal (82) Actor - mentioned above already (sorry to repeat), but no one mentioned his decade-long battle with Stage 2 prostate cancer in additional to his other health problems.

Didn't make the starting line

• Like 3

The famous actress who would turn 90 in 2024 and should be considered for the DL 2024

- Sophia Loren

- Shirley MacLaine 

- Brigitte Bardot

- Maggie Smith

- Judi Dench

• Like 4

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2023/12/09/hardest-working-royals-2023-revealed/

Looking at these statistics  I think the committee  should seriously consider Princess Alexandra,  who seems to be flying under the radar of many on here compared to her brother the Duke of Kent. 

She has  performed only 3 royal engagements this year whereas  the Duke of Kent performed over 60.

Prince and Princess Michael of Kent are not on the civil list so aren't expected to undertake public royal engagements but Princess Alexandra is and was in the official photoshoot of working members of the Royal Family earlier this year after the coronation. 

Maybe it isn't the obviously  visibly frail  Duke of Kent we should be most focused on but on his sister Princess Alexandra,  someone who has become so frail she barely appears in public at all.

• Like 5

On 20/11/2023 at 15:48, arghton said:

Lynne Reid Banks (95 next year, maybe a "cult pick" but apparent occasional health problems and didn't even make a birthday appearance this year)

agreed with this.
i regretted her inclusion on my 2023 list one month into the year when I learned she released a new book at the beginning of february (posting an accompanying photo of her looking generally well for a 94 year old). but it's been 11-months of radio silence on her social media, which is unusual as she usually posted every couple months at a minimum (if not a personal blog post). I wonder if something's up

• Like 2

Toby Keith has stomach cancer and is definitely looking more and more like a corpse in recent photos 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1