Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

13 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I currently have what I consider to be a very good potential juicy unique pick  for 2025. They have no Wikipedia page despite being  a regular  and central key face on an iconic  television show for over a decade.  I was very surprised they had no Wikipedia page of their own  and if picked by me there would be zero debate about their validity regardless of their lack of wiki  page. No more than that I cannot say without endangering its precious unique status  but banning the name because it doesn't have a Wikipedia page would great a whole new anomalie  for debate. 

Jim Rafferty has no Wiki page but I defy anyone to tell me the songwriter of Don't Speak of my Heart isn't DDP worthy. 

In fact, a quarter of my Oldies team don't have Wikis, despite being notable oldies. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, msc said:

Jim Rafferty has no Wiki page but I defy anyone to tell me the songwriter of Don't Speak of my Heart isn't DDP worthy. 

In fact, a quarter of my Oldies team don't have Wikis, despite being notable oldies. 

To clarify, It's not actually a rule I would bring in if I were hosting it again, or  even one I'd be much in favour of, but it would stop the Jason Smith type debates.

I think at least 3 or 4 others on my team don't have a Wiki page but shouldn't have any QO issues.

• Like 1

"Have they been mentioned in a QO source independent of their illness" is a good barometer if you ask me (fwiw, Smith would have passed on that metric). Wikipedia mods (no offence to their numbers on this site) get massive hate-boners for mass-allowing or not-allowing certain topics, so you really don't want to be holden to their whims (the "why doesn't Battle for Dream Island have a Wikipedia entry?" farrago for example).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

"Have they been mentioned in a QO source independent of their illness" is a good barometer if you ask me (fwiw, Smith would have passed on that metric). Wikipedia mods (no offence to their numbers on this site) get massive hate-boners for mass-allowing or not-allowing certain topics, so you really don't want to be holden to their whims (the "why doesn't Battle for Dream Island have a Wikipedia entry?" farrago for example).

Curious Streisandesque thing going on there: Wikipedia with an entry on something Wikipedia doesn't want as an entry!

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, msc said:

That form of bile duct cancer he suffered from had a grim prognosis and there was whispers last year it had spread to his brain. 

Yes my Mum died less than 3 months after being diagnosed with that rare and very aggressive cancer.

• Sad 7

4 hours ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

To clarify, It's not actually a rule I would bring in if I were hosting it again, or  even one I'd be much in favour of, but it would stop the Jason Smith type debates.

I think at least 3 or 4 others on my team don't have a Wiki page but shouldn't have any QO issues.

Out of the small number of my DDP picks that don't have Wikipedia pages is boxer Ron Russell  who rescued Princess Anne from her kidnap in the 1970s.  I don't think anybody would argue that the person who famously rescued the then Queens daughter  Princess Anne from IRA kidnapers  is not a legitimate DDP pick.

So yes we agree that the difficulties with the Wikipedia rule make it an idea not worth pursuing. 

IIRC Susie Steiner didn't have a Wikipedia page, despite a career in journalism and several best selling detective novels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Josef Fritzl doesn’t have a Wikipedia page of his own, but he meets even the much stricter fame requirements of the DL.

Yes, which is total madness if you ask me.

Tell you what, bet the committee are glad that Cat Janice didn't happen four weeks earlier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Josef Fritzl doesn’t have a Wikipedia page of his own, but he meets even the much stricter fame requirements of the DL.

wow. If there was ever a case to NOT link a qualifying DDP pick to a WIki entry then this is it.

9 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

There are a lot of people who nobody would question their selection who don’t have a Wikipedia page.

Smith is not one of these.  Councillor of a ward with 10k people. I mean, ffs people. Isn't 10 thousand people about 1/6 the average attendance of a premier league game?

1 hour ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Smith is not one of these.  Councillor of a ward with 10k people. I mean, ffs people. Isn't 10 thousand people about 1/6 the average attendance of a premier league game?

True but he was also the leader of a local political party. 

I see all these "why should a local politician get accepted" topics of conversation, but the rest of you don't get to see the "person living in woods" picks that people try and sneak in among their 5 other questionable picks.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Old Crem said:

True but he was also the leader of a local political party. 

He took the political lack-of-affiliation "Independents" and slapped the locality "Newcastle" in front of it.  Whoopty do.  Might as well be the leader of a branch campus chapter of the college democrats.

11 hours ago, Salmon Mousse said:

He took the political lack-of-affiliation "Independents" and slapped the locality "Newcastle" in front of it.  Whoopty do.  Might as well be the leader of a branch campus chapter of the college democrats.

Shit happens both ways, mind and when those of us looking into the abyss of backing a list of the missed pick were contemplating the lack of a qo a few days back we - pretty much -shrugged it off and cried a little into our collective beers. 

I'm guaranteeing now, I won't moan if the DDP world and his dead pooling dog are celebrating Drop 40 bonus points for Esther Rantzen later in the year whilst I'm left out having left her out. 

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Shit happens both ways, mind and when those of us looking into the abyss of backing a list of the missed pick were contemplating the lack of a qo a few days back we - pretty much -shrugged it off and cried a little into our collective beers. 

I'm guaranteeing now, I won't moan if the DDP world and his dead pooling dog are celebrating Drop 40 bonus points for Esther Rantzen later in the year whilst I'm left out having left her out. 

Thing is, though, you all picked a non-celebrity.  It's not a matter of shrugging it off because there should've been no expectation of that pick even being allowed.  Rantzen actually had a notable career.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Thing is, though, you all picked a non-celebrity.  It's not a matter of shrugging it off because there should've been no expectation of that pick even being allowed.  Rantzen actually had a notable career.

Aye, well, should any of us win after this we'll doubtless lend the glittering trophy to a local museum for a year and donate the entire £100,000 cash bonus to medical research aimed to put dead poolers out of business. 

Oh dear god he's still whining. Local politicians from the 12th largest English city count under the rules. They count far more than some marginal artists. Ditto those from America. There's no margin of error in this. They were allowed before the Ffbi ban, they were allowed when I wrote the Ffbi ban and they are allowed by the current committee who I have 100% faith and support in.

If you don't like it fuck off and create your own Deadpool. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

You know the rules, and so do I…

Certainly fewer disputed picks who make it to the board these days. Wasn’t there some pop star who wasn’t even a pop star but had recorded something in their bedroom and met a real pop star who was allowed and scored?

Tricky still for those running the game, unenviable task. 

I am personally content to allow expressions of discontent. But that won’t alter anything this year.

Speaking as someone who has a bit of fun playing and untroubling the top end for years, I’m probably more concerned for those picking this sort than the overall game itself! 

I have always been of the view that if the bod is unlikely to be remembered in 12 months, they are hardly worth my time. If they are worth yours and the points you may or may not gain, that’s for you to live with. (General you, not directed at anyone in particular).

44 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

Did you also have a tantrum about Brian Barczyk, a YouTuber with millions of followers across multiple platforms, being a DDP pick? Instead of crying about Jason Smith being allowed maybe you should divert your energy into making your own pool with rules that won’t trigger you. 

I picked the man in question and I wouldn’t give a fuck if he was disallowed. But he wasn’t. Don’t hate the player, hate the game. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, msc said:

Oh dear god he's still whining. Local politicians from the 12th largest English city count under the rules. They count far more than some marginal artists. Ditto those from America. There's no margin of error in this. They were allowed before the Ffbi ban, they were allowed when I wrote the Ffbi ban and they are allowed by the current committee who I have 100% faith and support in.

If you don't like it fuck off and create your own Deadpool. 

If I'm "still" whining it's because it's a decision that effects the entire year.  My apologies for caring about the game.  There's text within the FFBI rule that does state "it’s a start which can be built on in the future if need be".  At least least, this pick should start a dialogue towards a higher bar. 

• Like 1

We don’t need this to be alt obits 2.0 where people with some clear fame gets rejected. 

2 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

We don’t need this to be alt obits 2.0 where people with some clear fame gets rejected. 

Yes, maybe I'd even use the word "notability". Some people are clearly unknown, but have a certain degree of notability.

The DDP is also coming from the other direction, i.e. it used to be "anything goes". Alt Obits might be moving slightly to the other side - or it's that we try more, so that the more marginal cases get through.

But in the end, there is no universal standard. So the history of the DDP being more lenient, counts for something.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

If I'm "still" whining it's because it's a decision that effects the entire year.  My apologies for caring about the game.  There's text within the FFBI rule that does state "it’s a start which can be built on in the future if need be".  At least least, this pick should start a dialogue towards a higher bar. 

Well we have certainly had a dialogue!

Hasn’t happened in a while. Will it matter by December? Perhaps. Perhaps not. If folk look back at your team, will they know who the hell they were? Does that matter?

Maybe things can be improved, I still don’t see how any rule change would alter the guy’s eligibility. I’m losing no sleep over it!

• Like 1