M.Lawrenson

Chuck Berry

First hit for my new team, so every cloud...

Finally....

....a particular place to go.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Whitehouse said:

Finally....

....a particular place to go.

No longer playing with his ding-a-ling.

• Like 2

When I was about 12 years old, my favourite song for a while was Aussie super band Skyhooks' live cover of Chuck Berry's "Let It Rock". It still stands up fairly well. Here it is in all its remastered glory for you:

Hopes this proves I had a little more taste than most 12 year olds. Well, maybe...

Just heard about his death.Was certain we'd just had the 3rd hit .So disappointing :(

I'm glad we missed. They would make some stupid comment like Chuck Berried or something. I hate when anybody dies. I knew his music from the 1970's. G-d he was great. This is like when I heard about the death of Elvis. This is very sad. Let's hope this list stays at two. No more deaths, please.

if it does then it will be a record for lowest number of deathlist deaths me thinks

i asked a friend if he wanted to see Chuck Berry with me, he didn't and he probaly had a point, as i've always had to get concert tickets well in advance 6 to 9 months and it would be my money wasted if he'd died before the concert

21 minutes ago, JTrost1234 said:

I'm glad we missed. They would make some stupid comment like Chuck Berried or something. I hate when anybody dies. I knew his music from the 1970's. G-d he was great. This is like when I heard about the death of Elvis. This is very sad. Let's hope this list stays at two. No more deaths, please.

I think you might need to join Morbidkid in a vacation. 1 month should do. When Christie, Michael and Downie are dead. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JTrost1234 said:

I'm glad we missed. They would make some stupid comment like Chuck Berried or something. I hate when anybody dies.

So do we, at least if they are on the other team's list and not on ours. :evil:

Chuck was great, but for g-d's sake, he was 90. At that age you might be suffering from quite a few health problems and might even be grateful that you are relieved of them.

Damn, I was also sure he was the 3rd hit for the list. Big miss. RIP to one of THE legends of music. But yes, he was 90. A surprise he lasted that long, though I don't know whether he also lived the rock'n'roll lifestyle. I'm surprised there wasn't a Chuck Berry vs. Little Richard poll.

7 hours ago, JTrost1234 said:

"We"?  What's it got to do with you?

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Damn, I was also sure he was the 3rd hit for the list. Big miss. RIP to one of THE legends of music. But yes, he was 90. A surprise he lasted that long, though I don't know whether he also lived the rock'n'roll lifestyle. I'm surprised there wasn't a Chuck Berry vs. Little Richard poll.

A surprise omission from the Drop 40 too...

43 minutes ago, themaninblack said:

A surprise omission from the Drop 40 too...

About the Drop 40, I'm not that surprised.

He wasn't the best deadpooling candidate that I could imagine. He was obviously obitable and ancient, but his age also decreases his point value for most deadpools, and he was active almost until the end (having recently recorded a new album). But, being the legend that he was, he could've had a 30-40-ish spot on the list.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say it's a massive miss - a miss, for sure - as for years people on this very forum have said "Dont pick Chuck Berry, he's clearly doing fine". Clearly not a massive miss if folk thought he'd be a wasted pick!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, msc said:

I wouldn't say it's a massive miss - a miss, for sure - as for years people on this very forum have said "Dont pick Chuck Berry, he's clearly doing fine". Clearly not a massive miss if folk thought he'd be a wasted pick!

Yep, the problem with these late octagenarian or nonagenarian folks is that even though some of them are still pretty active, you never know when their health takes a sudden U-turn for the worse. B.B. King had performed live and Sir Chrisopher Lee had released a new album less than a year before they both died at around the same time in 2015.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

Just look at how many people in the inverse dead pool thought he would survive.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, joeyruss said:

Just look at how many people in the inverse dead pool thought he would survive.

Ah Ah I did not pick him! I simply forgot to do.

I saw an interview with him last year. He looked fit, upbeat and very much positive. He was one of those guaranteed to live, imo. Now he's gone, I fear the winner of the Inverse DP will win with a fairly high score. All is not lost...

• Like 1

No, I would say that calling him a massive miss is pretty much spot on.

March 2017 has been a fairly quiet month for deaths up until this point. I mean, there was Joni Sledge but who else was there?

There's only 50 spots and a whole lot of big name celebs who are only known to be old.

Besides, only 2 people out of nearly 20 picked him on the Crowdsourced Deathlist. No general consensus at all. He was 90. He died. It happens.

• Like 1

I forgot I even put him on my crowdsource list. Anyways, it was such a low spot it didn't matter. Also, only Bibliogryphon picked him in the Joker's Dead Pool, and you can only pick from the list given. Shows how most people thought he would live. 

• Like 1

There's quite a lot about Chuck's fairly perverse sexual tastes in a tell-al groupie memoir from the 90's called Rock Bottom. Whether much of this filth will find its way further into the public domain or whether it'd even be considered that shocking these days remains to be seen.

But he inspired the likes of the Stones and Led Zep in more than one way!

• Like 1

Browsing through my record store early yesterday morning, I saw a Chuck Berry boxset for sale. I considered buying it, but it was just a compilation with the same tracks you see on other compilations but in a different order. So I didn't bother. 

On my drive home, I kept wondering when his new album will be released. By the time I got home, that's when I heard the news that he had passed away. By an equally strange coincidence, I was listening to the Groovy Ghoulies EP Berry'd Alive which has an EP of them performing covers of Chuck Berry songs.