maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

Completed the annual form study at A New Day over the weekend, roster packed with obitable talent many in the "no shit!, I didn't know they were still alive" category. Thankfully not much to report, ageing legends largely turning in legendary performances.The Sweet remain as muscular as ever since Andy Scott turned them into the rock band he always assumed they were. There have been social media posts saying he is doing well considering he's ill, which I'm assuming is the ongoing prostate cancer battle. Stories ahead of time were it's - literally - the end of the road for Hawkwind with Dave Brock (83 tomorrow) having been diagnosed with a heart condition that - apparently - makes future tours with himself in the line up uninsurable. That said, there's a hold-the-date alert on their website for next Easter, so maybe he'll continue into one-off gigs, or summat. Hawkwind, frankly, were at their current cosmic best closing out Saturday and there were no momentous "well, that's it" kind of announcements from the stage when they finished. Frankly, nowt to compare with the "fuck me, that's Chris Farlowe" moment a couple of years back as an old man stumbled around the stage, taking a chair between his vocals. Sonja Kristina's (Curved Air) voice has seen better days and she seated herself on the drum riser during instrumental breaks, but that's hardly a full scale health crisis.  Andy Scott (75) below, photographed yesterday 

456277976_887557069854253_14009078622023

• Like 7

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Bruce Hoxton

Who? I know they had a Bruce Foxton.

I'm not blaming you of course, that's what it says on that page (and link).

I suppose what I should be saying is 'nationalworld' who?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, En Passant said:

Who? I know they had a Bruce Foxton.

I'm not blaming you of course, that's what it says on that page (and link).

I suppose what I should be saying is 'nationalworld' who?

Yes, sad that I saw this link before some more legit ones, like:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13760731/The-Jam-Bruce-Foxton-quit-band-health-heartbreaking-statement.html

(Sorry for calling the Daily Mail more legit, but it has a lot of info)

• Like 1

On 27/01/2016 at 04:08, Ra Ra Rasputin said:
On 20/01/2016 at 12:28, Toast said:

On 14/01/2016 at 12:47, Ra Ra Rasputin said:

Colin Vearncome of Black ("Wonderful Life") fame "critically ill" in hospital after car accident.

Update on his website, does not sound good. :(

Update on various sites now even worse - end of "Wonderful Life".

After Colin Vearncombe's death comes news that bassist on Wonderful Life and later bass player with The Icicle Works, Roy Corkill (sometimes credited as Roy Corkhill) reportedly dead: 

• Like 2

On 10/07/2024 at 10:49, gcreptile said:

Emergency surgery for Josh Homme, European leg of the tour cancelled. Curious.

https://www.spiegel.de/kultur/musik/queens-of-the-stone-age-sagen-konzerte-in-europa-ab-josh-homme-muss-operiert-werden-a-d4c27874-e816-4f3f-a0a7-c607da4dc7ca

English source: https://pitchfork.com/news/queens-of-the-stone-ages-josh-homme-to-undergo-emergency-surgery-band-cancels-european-tour/

Edit: The Internet suggests that it's a hernia that Homme tried to "play out". Looking even deeper, the touring schedule is killing him. He had lost weight after cancer and seemed healthy in 2023. But he's drinking like crazy and seems to have been in ill health for a couple of months now.

QOTSA has now cancelled or postponed all of their upcoming concerts due to Homme's health state. 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

On 19/08/2024 at 10:41, maryportfuncity said:

The Sweet remain as muscular as ever since Andy Scott turned them into the rock band he always assumed they were. There have been social media posts saying he is doing well considering he's ill, which I'm assuming is the ongoing prostate cancer battle.

Just been looking into this I'm seeing reports from the end of last year that Andy Scott's prostate cancer has reached stage 4. Although as a massive fan of The Sweet I'm hoping that I've misunderstood something. 

• Like 1

Daily Fail piece (apologies) but there's a photo of Sonia (Evans) AKA pop-poppet Sonia who came second in the Eurovision for us over 30 years ago. Big lump inside her right cheek, which was also there when she showed up on my local news last week. 

I'm assuming we're well short of Linda Nolan territory, but...anyone know owt?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tv/article-13405209/Eurovision-Sonia-unrecognisable-Loose-Women.html

On 18/02/2021 at 15:45, Book said:

Still not getting over the death of Françoise Cactus of Stereo Total :(

Listen to their music today a lot and stumbled over one of my favorites: Cinémania.

The text is similar to Vogue or We didn't start the fire, a list of actors and filmmakers in this case.

Please listen and enjoy!

A nice list to cross off btw:

Antonioni, Mastroianni

Fellini, Pasolini

Billy Wilder, Lana Turner

Rainer Werner Fassbinder

Marlene Dietrich, Ernst Lubitsch

James Dean, Charles Chaplin

François Truffaut, Jean-Pierre Léaud

Belmondo, Brigitte Bardot

La manie du cinéma: Cinémania...

Marilyn Monroe, Jeanne Moreau

Robert de Niro, Mia Farrow

Woody Allen, Sophia Loren

Ingrid Bergman, Liv Ulman

Rita Hayworth, Ginger Rogers

Gary Cooper, Dennis Hopper

Lollobrigida, John Travolta

Peter, Henry, Jane Fonda

Hanna Schygulla, Anna Karina

Isabelle Huppert, Jodie Foster

Claudia Cardinale, Sergio Leone

Jerry Lewis, Tony Curtis

Fernando Rey, Simone Signoret

Alain Resnais, Maurice Ronet

Judy Garland, Gary Grant

James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart

Isabelle Adjani, Anna Magnani

Roman Polanski, Klaus Kinski

Alain Delon, Michel Simon

Jack Lemmon, Jack Nicholson

Julie Christie, Jacques Tati

Warren Beatty, Visconti

Jean-Luc Godard, Jean Renoir

Stéphane Audran, Trintignant ...

Alfred Hitchcock

5 of them are in my French Theme Team :D

A little update.

Since that post we also lost:

Jean-Paul Belmondo  06.09.2021

Jean-Louis Trintignant  17.06.2022

Jean-Luc Godard  13.09.2022

Gina Lollobrigida  16.01.2023

Alain Delon  18.08.2024

Roger O’Donnell of The Cure was diagnosed with cancer, though prognosis seems good at the moment

• Like 2

Frank Torpey, guitarist for The Sweet and their last surviving original member, died in March aged 78.

Was with them only briefly (1968–1969) and never appeared on any of their hits.

The other 3 original members were Steve Priest (1948–2020), Mick Tucker (1947–2002), and Brian Connolly (1945–1997).

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Captain Hemlock said:

James Darren literally says “Goodbye Cruel World”

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/james-darren-gidget-moondoggie-star-trek-1236127756/

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 21/01/2022 at 20:44, msc said:

1942: Andy Summers (Police), Paul McCartney, Arthur Brown, Meic Stevens, John Cale, Jill Gomez, Phil Coulter, Graham Nash, Carole King, Barbara Streisand, Bobby Rydell, Brian Wilson, Mick Fleetwood, Roger McGuinn, Al Jardine, Bernie Calvert, Norman Greenbaum, Bobbie Gentry, Zoot Money (Animals), Alan Price (Animals), Dave Clark, Bob Gaudio, Leon Huff, Carl Douglas, Bruce Woodley, Gary Walker

Zoot Money dead at 82.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

On 03/07/2024 at 21:40, Phantom said:

Laurie Lindeen lead vocalist for Zuzu's Petels died on Monday of a brain aneurism at the age of 62.

She was married to Paul Westerberg of The Replacements from 2003-2014

Also, apparently Paul Westerberg's mother,, Mary Louise Westerberg passed away yesterday.  

Ooh, that's sad news. Was rather partial to ZuZu's Petals back in the day, and saw them supporting Nova Mob at Leeds Duchess. Have got her autobiography but not read it yet. Their version of 'Brand New Key' is worth checking out. 

4 hours ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Zoot Money dead at 82.

Quite the legend, but I know him best for telling Phil Daniels where to go in 'Breaking Glass'. RIP.

• Like 1

Really not a star but for fans of the Peel Sessions, just seen that Simon Mullings aka Spike Mullings, bassist of late 80s indiesters The Snapdragons, died around 31 Aug/1Sept: https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/law-centre-announces-death-of-housing-law-legend-simon-mullings/5120730.article and https://nearlylegal.co.uk/2024/09/for-simon-mullings/

• Like 1

Ben Thapa, low tenor in the original line up of G4, catapulted to fame by coming second to Steve Brookstein on the X Factor, reportedly dead: 

Only 42. (Douglas Adams fans would agree).

#9 on the pop charts in March 2005 with the ruination of Bohemian Rhapsody: 

• Like 2