maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

On 05/09/2021 at 17:26, ObakeFilter said:

Black Oak Arkansas guitarist Rickie Lee Reynolds has died at the age of 72, as reported by TMZ.

https://www.tmz.com/2021/09/05/black-oak-arkansas-guitarist-rickie-lee-reynolds-dead-dies/

Harvey Jett, original lead guitarist for Black Oak Arkansas, also dead at 72, as per Facebook.  He is second from right in the band photo below.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0JqQ81zNeSukXzQ5w93ZA7ZbmDCtat3vmhgqiNtAjMvWMzC1GYGW89fuhNU1pgW5kl&id=100000741848055&mibextid=qC1gEa

513255F4-83F2-4162-BA9D-7206D2CD1946.jpeg

AFBF63E7-0053-47E0-B76A-75A658C51CDB.jpeg

• Like 1

George Maher, former member of The Farm (from 1984 to 1986) has died according to fellow former member Tony Evans:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 16/12/2019 at 22:56, DevonDeathTrip said:

The reclusive Rollo Armstrong of Faithless casually mention in this article that he's fully recovered from a bout of lung cancer.   

Maxi Jazz, sometime lead vocalist with Faithless, being reported dead: 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Shocked 4

10 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Maxi Jazz, sometime lead vocalist with Faithless, being reported dead: 

Had no idea he was mid 60s. I'd have guessed early 50s. RIP. 

• Like 1

Lead singer of Faithless, definitely one of the biggest hits of the year from pop

If Pele goes imminently this could be another of those Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett, or JFK and C.S. Lewis instances.

8 minutes ago, Brad252 said:

If Pele goes imminently this could be another of those Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett, or JFK and C.S. Lewis instances.

I'm sure Pele's death will still be reported.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Had no idea he was mid 60s. I'd have guessed early 50s. RIP. 

Yeah Insomnia was a major popular hit in my clubbing days and I'd never have thought he was in his sixties. 

Sad news. RIP.  Had many memorable a night out were that tune featured. 

Sad... Guess he'll find out if God is a DJ.

• Like 2

First I've heard of both him, and the band. Checked them out, seemed decent. Also, I'm pretty sure that IF Pele died, today, Maxi's death WOULD NOT overshadow it, at all. Pele is a WAY bigger name, and star. Just sayin'.

32 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Must be an age thing, who? 

Isn't anyone that wasn't famous before 1980 a "who" to you though?

51 minutes ago, Paul Bearer said:

Must be an age thing, who? 

If you know any of their songs, it'll be the riff that kicks in here. 

Otherwise, properly massive 90s band.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

If you know any of their songs, it'll be the riff that kicks in here. 

Otherwise, properly massive 90s band.

Wow, that shortened version of that song. When I looked them up, I only saw 8+ minute versions of it. Either way, I put it on my wishlist, for next time.

4 minutes ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

Wow, that shortened version of that song. When I looked them up, I only saw 8+ minute versions of it. Either way, I put it on my wishlist, for next time.

They did need a version to put on the radio!

• Like 1

Didn't know his name, did know his voice: Faithless was massive in the 90's and some of their songs are still played occasionally on the Dutch radio. Not the type of music I listen to on my own, but they made multiple songs that (in my opinion) really define the 90's, Maxi Jazz' voice making them stand out. 

For me MJ reminds me a bit of Keith Flint; leading man with a unique voice of a huge 90's act, which I knew some songs of for a long time without knowing these men themselves by name before their death.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, msc said:

The Monster Mix such a classic, I can't imagine not listening all the way through. Though casual listeners might not be into waiting 5+ minutes for Maxi Jazz to start.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

The Monster Mix such a classic, I can't imagine not listening all the way through. Though casual listeners might not be into waiting 5+ minutes for Maxi Jazz to start.

True (I'm the same with Meatloaf) but tbf I was looking for the specific riff to share, not their life story! :D

19 minutes ago, msc said:

No.  No they didn’t.

1 hour ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

First I've heard of both him, and the band.

Heard of the band when Dido became popular (disclaimer: not with me) because I read that her brother was in it.

Otherwise - by the 90s I'd moved on from clubbing, and never experienced the hypnotic off-your-head-on-substances dance era.  We made do with vodka in my day :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lewd_Squirrel said:

First I've heard of both him, and the band. Checked them out, seemed decent. Also, I'm pretty sure that IF Pele died, today, Maxi's death WOULD NOT overshadow it, at all. Pele is a WAY bigger name, and star. Just sayin'.

Pele would only be behind QEII in terms of biggest death of 2022 (if it happens) - Maxi was part of a hugely successful and well loved 90-00s band. His death probably isn’t even as big as Terry Hall but it hurts just as much to some of us

• Like 1