Guest IYG

Drunk? Bored?? Psychopath???

Renting is coming back in the guise of high apr, warranty included, on the never never.

Don't know why though, young fla in the work today was in about getting a 50' set for his bedroom , from his next wage. £300 ffs.

When I started in retail in '92, I well remember the 33' Toshiba was £1,500.

Don't worry , I ripped him for getting so big a set , no point, and indeed the picture will look worse.

When I was a kid, we always seemed to be a channel short because my parents only bought a new TV when the old one was terminally broken, and they were built to last for years back then. So the first TV I remember was so old it couldn't even get IT

Wouldn't that have been the case if you just had push buttons for the channel?

I remember we had a TV with a dial setting when Channel 4 came out, we would use Tipp-ex to mark the spot on the dial when we could get the signal.

There was something about lines .... the old TVs had (I think) 405 lines and later models were 625 lines. I know we could only get BBC when most other people were watching ITV, and then when BBC2 came out we couldn't get that either. Although that may have been a reception thing, it might have needed a different aerial.

Some people constantly upgrade their equipment, and others put up with what they've got till it falls apart.

Must admit I tend towards the latter myself. :unsure:

I must have saved thousands in recent times from not buying things that were almost immediately obsolete :lol:

I vaguely remember that sort of stuff. We would rent our TVs from Granada, so every other year we'd get it exchanged and have a newer model. I remember my mum telling me to scrape off the tipp-ex we had used to mark the channels because we were returning it soon. I think that was when we got our very first remote control TV, which had the 4 channel buttons.

Yes, I forgot that a lot of people rented TVs back then. My parents were firmly against renting things, on the basis that you "constantly paid out money and had nothing to show for it at the end". They of course had stuff that wore out and didn't work instead. :lol:

We had a couple of TVs that broke when I was still living with my parents. You paid a bit more, but at least you didn't have to drag it to the repair shop or get rid of it. You could just call the rental place, they'll fix it for you or if they couldn't fix it, they'll replace it.

When I moved out of home, I rented a TV from Granada which lasted me about 14 years. I paid the first couple of years, and with all the moving around it took a while for any letters to catch up with me even though I kept going in, paying a month's rental, giving them my new address etc. In the end I walked in to one shop and they told me that they had written the TV off as damaged beyond repair and said I might as well just keep it if I still had it. So overall I probably paid almost as much as I would have done for a TV. I gave it to my ex when I moved to the U.S.

My parents rented TVs for years. We got our first colour TV in 1974.

Considering they cost an arm and a leg, renting was the best way to get a modern TV back in the day.

I remember Granada TV rentals, Rumbelows, Radio Rentals, jesus, this is a step back in time!! :D

• Like 1

My parents rented TVs for years. We got our first colour TV in 1974.

Considering they cost an arm and a leg, renting was the best way to get a modern TV back in the day.

I remember Granada TV rentals, Rumbelows, Radio Rentals, jesus, this is a step back in time!! :D

We didn't get our colour telly until 1980. I remember watching Wizard of Oz in colour for the first time.

• Like 1

We had a remote control video where the remote control was actually attached to the video by a cable. So not remote at all.

• Like 1

We had a remote control video where the remote control was actually attached to the video by a cable. So not remote at all.

Our first remove control was done on sound, so you'd have these high pitched sounds each time you wanted to change the channel or change the volume. After a while it would give you a headache and we'll just get up off the sofa to change the channel etc.

So would this be the time for me to mention that despite being the same age or older than most of you the only time I had less that eight TV channels was when I lived in Europe?

I would get my coat but I live in Texas so I don't have one...

• Like 5

So would this be the time for me to mention that despite being the same age or older than most of you the only time I had less that eight TV channels was when I lived in Europe?

Ah but 154 channels where a 1 hour programme runs 37 minutes because of 'messages from our sponsor' isn't an improvement on 3 channels where one is showing 'dads army', the second is something about calculating the relative viscosity of vegetable oils (leading to an OU degree in something obscure if you were actually doing the course [nobody was though]) and the third, and only commercial one, with far fewer ads than its american cousins (they were legally constrained to 9 mins an hour or such) showing somebody instructing a remote cameraman with a crossbow to:- "up a bit, down a bit, fire" in an attempt to win a caravan or speedboat they'd never use anyway.

• Like 2

Never forget CA, 'Quality over Quantity'.

Yours

Man hung like a kitten :D

Meow.

• Like 2

Decided after yet another meaningless thread started by ImNotHades that any thread he starts I'm simply ignoring. Would block if I could. The self-indulgence is ....... unacceptable. Guaranteed he's under 25. Anyway enjoy the next 15-20 one person threads like 'Tina Turner' and whatever else comes along. I won't be commenting on them or acknowledging their existence in any way.

SC

• Like 2

Discussing pizza with my sister who once married a Limey, and she has informed me that Brits put FRIED EGGS as a pizza topping.

What the fucking hell is WRONG with you muthafuckas?!???

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

1. I'm guessing that egg was raw before it was popped into the oven. Salmonella anyone?

2. One of my favorite bar quiz questions: what (circa 1995 or so) was the #1 topping of pizzas in Japan?

You guessed it: CORN

So you Brits can stand next to your Jap brothers and sisters in a pizza joint someday wearing "I'm With Stupid" T-shirts and arrows pointing at each other.

• Like 1

Discussing pizza with my sister who once married a Limey, and she has informed me that Brits put FRIED EGGS as a pizza topping.

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

1. I'm guessing that egg was raw before it was popped into the oven. Salmonella anyone?

2. One of my favorite bar quiz questions: what (circa 1995 or so) was the #1 topping of pizzas in Japan?

So you Brits can stand next to your Jap brothers and sisters in a pizza joint someday wearing "I'm With Stupid" T-shirts and arrows pointing at each other.

Bollocks. The only time I've seen a fried egg on a pizza was in Spain. Never once seen it in England.

• Like 2

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

Bollocks. The only time I've seen a fried egg on a pizza was in Spain. Never once seen it in England.

After Eggwina Edwina Currie lost her job for telling the truth, the egg industry got their house in order and now Salmonella in UK eggs is very rare.

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

Did she also tell you that there's no entry for gullible in the dictionary?

• Like 2

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

Did she also tell you that there's no entry for fucking moron in the dictionary?

EFA

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

This from a country where it is possible to order grits and a root beer thus finding culinary uses for the stuff that sticks paving stones together and left over drain cleaning fluid.

Oh and those 'cheese' singles things that are some sort of waste product from nuclear fission they're afraid still wouldn't be safe if vitrified and buried in Cheyenne Mountain.

No....seriously....

SirC

Edit:

I used to frequent an Italian-style restaurant in a suburb of Paris where one of their pizzas included an egg. It wasn't a fried egg though, it would have been baked along with the pizza in the oven. They were very nice pizzas that also featured spicy sausage or chorizo, and was the one to go for if you were super hungry.

I haven't thought about that in years. I may have to try and recreate it :D

Actually, I have seen fried egg on pizza. The Grosvener Cafe (long since gone and mourned) used to serve it, and it was lovely. Obviously, the egg doesn't bloody go in the oven, its not part of the pizza itself!

Mind you, meat in the US tends to look like this from what I know:

degrees2.jpg?w=690

And all of them fit my definition of not cooked properly. So glasshouses and stones about the old food poisoning, eh.

• Like 1

Actually, I have seen fried egg on pizza. The Grosvener Cafe (long since gone and mourned) used to serve it, and it was lovely. Obviously, the egg doesn't bloody go in the oven, its not part of the pizza itself!

degrees2.jpg?w=690

And all of them fit my definition of not cooked properly. So glasshouses and stones about the old food poisoning, eh.

No, I will admit that I like it done so that a good vet might be able to get it back on its feet

No, I will admit that I like it done so that a good vet might be able to get it back on its feet

A 'knock the horns off and put it on the plate' type of gal eh? :lol:

• Like 3

A cream pie perhaps?

• Like 2

A cream pie perhaps?

< consults Urban Dictionary and then wishes hadn't >

• Like 3

Some folk have a boiled egg with their curry in the UK.

No idea why.. though it'll no doubt make their farts whiffier the next day. :scratchhead:

A cream pie perhaps?

< consults Urban Dictionary and then wishes hadn't >

Did the context not give away the nature?

On a totally unrelated note, the whole premise of deathlisting is "pointlessly tasteless" according to the stazi mods at DigitalSpy. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2147965

• Like 1