Guest iain

Peter Sallis

I just thought I'd bump this thread as it is now exactly 10 years since it was created.

Nice to see Peter Sallis still here and the first poster of this thread being wrong when he mentioned that Peter wouldn't have much longer to go!

I think he'll see 2017 although he is another person like Cliff Mitchelmore where we have no idea how they are doing.

• Like 2

I just thought I'd bump this thread as it is now exactly 10 years since it was created.

Nice to see Peter Sallis still here and the first poster of this thread being wrong when he mentioned that Peter wouldn't have much longer to go!

I think he'll see 2017 although he is another person like Cliff Mitchelmore where we have no idea how they are doing.

I can't speak for Mr Sallis' reasoning for being listed 10 years ago, but I cringe when I see some REAL dreadful threads being created for relatively young (under 70) people who aren't very ill presently or who have NEVER been ill beyond a common cold (Bono Vox could be the worst example, but don't press me, I'm sure I can find others). So I hope your post was made with a *hint* of that angst.

SC

(edit: well that didn't take long -- I open up the forums today and see a Madonna thread. Bono's thread is redeemed).

Peter like Cliff was more private a celebrity.One of the ones who did their work and then went home at the end of the day.In other words they just stuck to work and wheren`t particularly interested in showbiz or their media personality.Not saying they were reclusive just a bit more reserved than other stars.

Exactly Shaun. This is why it's nigh on impossible to know when/ if to put people like Gene Hackman on the list. He is 87 in January next year and is starting to get to the age when people start to think, ' well let's put him on!' But we have no idea if he's as fit as a fiddle or in bad shape. People look at his IMDB profile and see he last starred in a movie in 2004 and come to conclusions but it isn't always like that.

Of course with Peter, it would be daft now to take him off the list just due to his age but he could be one of these blokes who just goes on and on like, say Kirk Douglas so he'd be on the list for another 4+ years..

I'm glad he's lasted as long as he has anyway - always seemed like a nice down-to- earth bloke.

I still reckon Peter Sallis will die as a result of his injuries by being struck by a runaway bath with three old men in it.

• Like 2

Hmmm... I wonder how Michelmore is doing now.

• Like 1

There's three episodes of Wallace and Gromit, featuring the voice of Sallis, on the iPlayer right now. Worth a look. I hadn't seen them in years, and was impressed by how clever they were. One of those rare TV series that could appeal to children and adults alike.

If you're soft hearted, the episode "The Wrong Trousers" might even make you cry (not that I'm owning up to nothing here, like!) during the moment when Gromit decides to leave home after Wallace allows a lodger to move in. That is one evil penguin!

• Like 3

There's three episodes of Wallace and Gromit, featuring the voice of Sallis, on the iPlayer right now. Worth a look. I hadn't seen them in years, and was impressed by how clever they were. One of those rare TV series that could appeal to children and adults alike.

If you're soft hearted, the episode "The Wrong Trousers" might even make you cry (not that I'm owning up to nothing here, like!) during the moment when Gromit decides to leave home after Wallace allows a lodger to move in. That is one evil penguin!

We have a dark side you know.

• Like 5

I just realised when Peter sailas dies all the actors in the wrong trousers will be dead.

• Like 5

I'm reading his autobiography at the moment. Relatively boring but in an interesting way...if that's possible.

Maybe that's why he is living so long - Mr. Death is just not interested in him at the moment ;)

6 minutes ago, Still Here said:

I'm reading his autobiography at the moment. Relatively boring but in an interesting way...if that's possible.

Maybe that's why he is living so long - Mr. Death is just not interested in him at the moment ;)

When I see that rarely updated threads have a new post I always assume the death has occurred......hmmm.......!

No, he's still going.

I have read his autobiography though. More a collection of random scattered anecdotes than a memoir, iirc.

His agents have announced he has died aged 96. Here is the report from the BBC.

This year will break the record.

Ah, damn.

Expected given age/etc, but damn anyway.

A Matter of Loaf or Death, particularly death on this occasion.

RIP.

• Like 1

Wallace and no gromit.

RIP to a great actor with a fine repertoire that went on for decades.  Really the last of the 'Last of The Summer Wine' main cast to pass away as well.

He did reach a great age though and sadly lost his wife of nearly 60 years last year so I kind of expected this.  I watched Dr Who - The Ice Warriors the other day which he was in starring with Patrick Troughton. Peter was only a year younger then Patrick but outlived him by 30 years and looked like he would go on forever.

Also one of the top ones on the list has finally gone so the record could be broken now in 2017..

Very sad.

He's also the first nonagenarian hit for the entire year so far.

Never heard of the tv show he was in, just youtubed it and looks really crap.  But still RIP. 

• Like 2