Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Over here whenever someone in the extended family dies they send a picture of the dead face on the WhatsApp group or Facebook or somewhere. It really freaks me out because you can never unsee it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Yes, it does seem a bit weird for people to file past a closed coffin without knowing if there's anything inside it or not. Here in Indonesia everyone has to be buried by sunset the next day, so that certainly avoids these excessively long goodbyes.

I must admit I find it odd that people across the country are prepared to stand in Queue that is up to a mile long for upwards of 12 hours to essentially nod at a coffin that they can’t even properly go up to for a woman who probably 99.9% of them don’t really know and have never met. I can understand the History part of it to a point I suppose but not to a Queue for that long but annoys me how they make out the Queen and the Royals have done so much for us and the country, really they haven’t done that badly out of it they live a life of luxury the majority of us can only dream of with various  Castles scattered around the country in large parts paid for by the British people through our taxes.Also they have more money than we can ever dream off and for years didn’t even pay taxes whilst there  “Subjects”/ people struggling to eat and survive all the while the Queen is paying of her son’s victim to the tune of £12 million pounds so he doesn’t go to prison a luxury we will never have. They also say the Queen and Royal family work so hard doing banquets etc for heads of states etc no their staff do they just turn up and greet them for a few hours, don’t the majority of us work hard all our lives for peanuts the Royals do the bare minimum for what they get yet we are supposed to be grateful for it, I’m sure the Queen was a nice lady but it all seems too much for me especially standing in a Queue for hours, just strange for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Fergie86 said:

I must admit I find it odd that people across the country are prepared to stand in Queue that is up to a mile long for upwards of 12 hours to essentially nod at a coffin that they can’t even properly go up to for a woman who probably 99.9% of them don’t really know and have never met. I can understand the History part of it to a point I suppose but not to a Queue for that long but annoys me how they make out the Queen and the Royals have done so much for us and the country, really they haven’t done that badly out of it they live a life of luxury the majority of us can only dream of with various  Castles scattered around the country in large parts paid for by the British people through our taxes.Also they have more money than we can ever dream off and for years didn’t even pay taxes whilst there  “Subjects”/ people struggling to eat and survive all the while the Queen is paying of her son’s victim to the tune of £12 million pounds so he doesn’t go to prison a luxury we will never have. They also say the Queen and Royal family work so hard doing banquets etc for heads of states etc no their staff do they just turn up and greet them for a few hours, don’t the majority of us work hard all our lives for peanuts the Royals do the bare minimum for what they get yet we are supposed to be grateful for it, I’m sure the Queen was a nice lady but it all seems too much for me especially standing in a Queue for hours, just strange for me.

There's a phrase that we have in my generation: Too long, didn't read.

• Haha 2

People forget that in the 90s she was pretty unpopular, what with the annus horribilus 1992, then Diana 1997. The last act of her life has been a triumph though.

• Like 1

26 thousand attended the Lying at Rest in Edinburgh. So on that scale 100k will attend in London. 

• Confused 1

46 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

26 thousand attended the Lying at Rest in Edinburgh. So on that scale 100k will attend in London. 

Your figures are waaaaay off. By an order of magnitude I reckon. For all sorts of reasons. But I'll just say 200,000 turned up for the Queen Mum, and her death was nothing like this.

• Like 2

Yes, I've been considering going up to London to see the flowers and get a whiff of the atmosphere.  But the lying-in-state queue is out of the question. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Your figures are waaaaay off. By an order of magnitude I reckon. For all sorts of reasons. But I'll just say 200,000 turned up for the Queen Mum, and her death was nothing like this.

I saw someone suggested that the funeral attendance in the capital is expected to be in the region of 750,000

• Like 2

6 hours ago, DaDeathGuy said:

There's a phrase that we have in my generation: Too long, didn't read.

Believe me  he's just scratching the surface.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I saw someone suggested that the funeral attendance in the capital is expected to be in the region of 750,000

And there is not even that much to see on the day. The Better procession from a visual and symbolic perspective is tommorw  

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

And there is not even that much to see on the day. The Better procession from a visual and symbolic perspective is tommorw  

It'll be a strange day monday for those of us at home. I remember Diana's funeral, I don't think I saw a single person drive/walk up the street until gone 2-3pm.  Expecting similar this time

• Like 1

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-funeral-reported-guest-list-leaders-royals/

PEOPLE says that ex-Queen Beatrix of Netherlands will attend QEII's funeral. King Felipe of Spain's parents, Juan Carlos I and Sofia might attend (express says that they will). Zelenskyy will not attend. Iran invited at ambassadorial level. Russia, Belarus and Myanmar not invited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arghton said:

https://people.com/royals/queen-elizabeth-funeral-reported-guest-list-leaders-royals/

PEOPLE says that ex-Queen Beatrix of Netherlands will attend QEII's funeral. King Felipe of Spain's parents, Juan Carlos I and Sofia might attend (express says that they will). Zelenskyy will not attend. Iran invited at ambassadorial level. Russia, Belarus and Myanmar not invited.

Didn't doubt Beatrix would attend, she and The Queen were cousins and rather close, from what I can gather. They were both European queens of a similar age, leading their countries at a similar time. 

4 hours ago, Toast said:

Yes, I've been considering going up to London to see the flowers and get a whiff of the atmosphere.  But the lying-in-state queue is out of the question. 

Go to Windsor. Flowers smell lovely and there is free parking in the great park for you to walk up the long walk.

20 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Go to Windsor. Flowers smell lovely and there is free parking in the great park for you to walk up the long walk.

Thanks.  I did think of it but it's easier to hop on the train to London.  

2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Leave me and my flowers alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19788402/queen-not-well-on-it-two-days-death/
Sounds like she did have some sort of terminal condition.

Lady Colin Campbell says she had something in her bones. She also announced the death early. 

She may well have made it up.

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/19788402/queen-not-well-on-it-two-days-death/
Sounds like she did have some sort of terminal condition.

Are you basing that on Boris Johnson saying that the Queen was "clearly not well"?  Because that's the only comment on her health that I can see there.

Of course she was "clearly not well" - she died two days later!  :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he's saying that in hindsight.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Toast said:

Are you basing that on Boris Johnson saying that the Queen was "clearly not well"?  Because that's the only comment on her health that I can see there.

Of course she was "clearly not well" - she died two days later!  :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure he's saying that in hindsight.

It sort of sounds like an admission she had some major condition over the last few months beyond what was speculated and which has a major impact on her death.

After all plenty of people are very well on a Tuesday and are dead by the Thursday. 

1 hour ago, Windsor said:

Lady Colin Campbell says she had something in her bones. She also announced the death early. 

She may well have made it up.

Of course she made it up. She’s so full of shit, she could be considered a UK seaside resort.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

It sort of sounds like an admission she had some major condition over the last few months beyond what was speculated and which has a major impact on her death.

And you think she confided this to Boris Johnson?  OK then.

1 minute ago, Toast said:

And you think she confided this to Boris Johnson?  OK then.

I’m sure if she had been diagnosed with a serious illness the Prime Minster would likely have known. 

• Confused 1
  • Facepalm 2

18 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Hmm let me guess - pancreatic cancer?

• Like 3