Jimh

Queen Elizabeth II

Nobody seems to be reading the hundreds of pre-prepared articles British media have been uploading. The big news now is the massive Ukrainian counter attack that could spell the end of the war. Sadly I think the Queen's domination of the headlines is already over after a couple of days.

6 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Nobody seems to be reading the hundreds of pre-prepared articles British media have been uploading. The big news now is the massive Ukrainian counter attack that could spell the end of the war. Sadly I think the Queen's domination of the headlines is already over after a couple of days

Who would have guessed that the Queen demise would do so much to distract, of all people, the Russians!

• Haha 4

I wonder how Putin was the first to congratulate Prince Charles to his taking the throne...like, is that on Putin's priority list right now? And why?

17 hours ago, Toast said:

Definitely.  One of my favourites is when she won the sweepstake at the Derby.  She was so gleeful.  That satisfied smirk at the end!  :lol:

That was a lot of money back in the 90's lol.

• Like 1

Just now, gcreptile said:

I wonder how Putin was the first to congratulate Prince Charles to his taking the throne...like, is that on Putin's priority list right now? And why?

Suggestions I heard was that it was surprisingly friendly, so they thought it had been written several years ago during friendlier times and not really amended before release due to "other priorities" the Russian state was occupied with. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Windsor said:

I remember seeing some posts of this loon back in the summer. Full blown Matt LeTissier head case on 5G/Anti Vax/Cash is King shite.  Glad she’s pushed it too far and got her just desserts 

8 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

If a simple image could explain how insane and big her death was

00C781EA-4038-4943-862E-E727C2AAAC53.jpeg

I'll have a big cheese with a mini-budget and a diet electricity bill please.

Seriously, get on with it Truss And Co!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

If a simple image could explain how fucked our priorities are:

00C781EA-4038-4943-862E-E727C2AAAC53.jpeg

FTFY

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomarse said:

I remember seeing some posts of this loon back in the summer. Full blown Matt LeTissier head case on 5G/Anti Vax/Cash is King shite.  Glad she’s pushed it too far and got her just desserts 

I hear someone has panned in her window now.

11 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Nobody seems to be reading the hundreds of pre-prepared articles British media have been uploading. The big news now is the massive Ukrainian counter attack that could spell the end of the war. Sadly I think the Queen's domination of the headlines is already over after a couple of days.

Hmm, internationally perhaps but that was always likely. Currently the top 10 most read BBC news stories today - 7 are on the death of the Queen, 1 is about Brexit, 1 is about Ukraine, and 1 is about Darius dying from sniffing glue.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, msc said:

Hmm, internationally perhaps but that was always likely. Currently the top 10 most read BBC news stories today - 7 are on the death of the Queen, 1 is about Brexit, 1 is about Ukraine, and 1 is about Darius dying from sniffing glue.

The Ukraine one though is now the most read.

4 hours ago, msc said:

You can take the man out of Scotland but you can't take Scotland out of the man. 

I'm guessing that he drank Buckfast tonic wine, Tennents Super Lager and Carlsberg Special.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On the topic of foreign funeral guests, discussed one or two days ago

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-greatest-funeral-since-nelson-mandela/

Official protocol dictates that invitations will be offered to the head of state from each country, and their spouse or partner.

"This will be a funeral like no other, or few other,” agreed John Kampfner, director of the “U.K. in the World” initiative at the Chatham House think tank. “There have been great state funerals before — of American presidents, of Nelson Mandela and others. But quite simply the queen was the most famous person in the world, and as a result I think there will be an attendance list that will be unprecedented.”

• Like 4

14 hours ago, msc said:

Update:

top 5 on the FT, only no.2 is about the Queen. Nos. 1 and 3 about Ukraine, No 4 about electric vehicles, and No 5 about energy. Nothing about Darius though.

top 5 on BBC, Ukraine is no 1 and 2, Swedish election 3, top Queen entry is at no 4 about how her corgis were like oversized potatoes. So I think the Queen has peaked. The media's efforts to make this into another Diana have failed. Even the number of flowers left by the public are quite low apparently.

30 minutes ago, Youth in Asia said:

Update:

top 5 on the FT, only no.2 is about the Queen. Nos. 1 and 3 about Ukraine, No 4 about electric vehicles, and No 5 about energy. Nothing about Darius though.

top 5 on BBC, Ukraine is no 1 and 2, Swedish election 3, top Queen entry is at no 4 about how her corgis were like oversized potatoes. So I think the Queen has peaked. The media's efforts to make this into another Diana have failed. Even the number of flowers left by the public are quite low apparently.

I'm not sure amount of flowers left or the number on trending correlates to how big of an impact a death is. 

It may have a part of the puzzle, just hard to argue how big of one.

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Update:

Guessing you’ve collected this “fact” from Twitter as I’ve seen it banded round there quite a bit. Reality is there are 1000s being left every day but they’re clearing them off every 12 hours to create space. The flowers are being moved to a tribute garden at the back of the main Palace. When Diana died, the flowers were simply left to pile up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Youth in Asia said:

Update:

Even the number of flowers left by the public are quite low apparently.

I was in Aberdeen yesterday. If she can get that many dour-faced, mean Aberdonians out to line the route of her cortege, I can assure you there is great public interest and sympathy for the Queen's demise. They even came out at Dundee.

As for the flowers, none of us have any fucking money left. Diana died when the economy was on the up. The Queen died with a broken economy.

Further more, the coverage of her death has been greater than that of Diana. More of us have access to 24-hour news. The BBC and ITV have covered it solidly. The internet, social media and even radio has been wall to wall. People are getting a bit tired of it, understandably. Even I switched channels last night because I had enough of it for one day. Doesn't mean its not something I don't care about. 

The Queen's death is different to Diana's in so many ways and as such, the reaction of people can never be compared.

• Like 4

Btw the top read BBC stories thing is based on your region. The UK one is still Ukraine and lots of the Queen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Update:

Reiterating the "local to you" nature of the BBC top 10 popular stories, according to my list, there is currently a story about Liz Truss sacking the top Treasury civil servant at 1, a story about the Ukraine counter offensive 2, 3-9 concern the Royal Family and 10 is about the latest economic figures.

As others have said, the Queen's death is not the only story right now. The Ukraine War has entered a new phase. The cost of living crisis is still front and centre: Liz Truss was physically laying out her energy plans in the Commons when the news came through the Queen was ailing. And as we've said before, wall to wall grief isn't healthy. I've watched a lot of the coverage, particularly the significant moments, but I have cut away at various times because there's just too much to take in.

We have no way of measuring Diana's death's impact, as the BBC website wasn't even up and running in 1997. But a quick look at Wiki's list of significant events in September 97, it appears her only competition was the final days on campaigning for the Welsh and Scottish devolution referenda, which took place about 5 days after Diana's funeral - and I suspect campaigning probably largely stopped from her death to her funeral anyway.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Reiterating the "local to you" nature of the BBC top 10 popular stories, according to my list, there is currently a story about Liz Truss sacking the top Treasury civil servant at 1, a story about the Ukraine counter offensive 2, 3-9 concern the Royal Family and 10 is about the latest economic figures.

As others have said, the Queen's death is not the only story right now. The Ukraine War has entered a new phase. The cost of living crisis is still front and centre: Liz Truss was physically laying out her energy plans in the Commons when the news came through the Queen was ailing. And as we've said before, wall to wall grief isn't healthy. I've watched a lot of the coverage, particularly the significant moments, but I have cut away at various times because there's just too much to take in.

We have no way of measuring Diana's death's impact, as the BBC website wasn't even up and running in 1997. But a quick look at Wiki's list of significant events in September 97, it appears her only competition was the final days on campaigning for the Welsh and Scottish devolution referenda, which took place about 5 days after Diana's funeral - and I suspect campaigning probably largely stopped from her death to her funeral anyway.

Campaigning did officially stop, briefly, due to Diana's road safety failure.

The BBC website did exist in 1997 but the News section became more of a thing in 1998. 

Here's the earliest example on the Wayback Machine.

Top stories - Clinton's Sex Life, space adventures, a shooting in Northern Ireland, and people taking the government to court. Could be any other day in the 90s!

"A drama like Jonathan Creek isn't what you'd expect from creator of One Foot In The Grave, David Renwick." - Tell me you haven't seen One Foot without telling me you haven't seen One Foot.

"Can you imagine what life will be like in the year 2010?" No, no I cannot.

• Like 2

Apparently this is the first Monarch death in at least two hundred years to not announce the exact time of death. 

Yeah... because she stroked out and died around noon... but they're too far gone with the whole "family is coming together to meet her before she goes" storyline that they can't go back.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yeah... because she stroked out and died around noon... but they're too far gone with the whole "family is coming together to meet her before she goes" storyline that they can't go back.

Thriugh all the press have now said only Charles and Anne made there in time. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

If that had been the case I don't believe they would have invented a "family is coming together to meet her before she goes" storyline .  What would be the point?  We know she died before William, Andrew and the Wessexes arrived.