Crispy

Saddam Hussein

Saddam Hussain's former spokesman Mohammad Saeed al Sahhaf, better known in the UK as Comical Ali, is terminally ill according to his Wiki page. This video - dated November 2014 - shows him hospitalised in the United Arab Emirates. However the conversation is in Arabic and has Swedish subtitles...

I'd be surprised if he'd died and not get a mention anywhere, but he does look very unwell in that footage.

Guest Guest

Saddam Hussain's former spokesman Mohammad Saeed al Sahhaf, better known in the UK as Comical Ali, is terminally ill according to his Wiki page. This video - dated November 2014 - shows him hospitalised in the United Arab Emirates. However the conversation is in Arabic and has Swedish subtitles...

I'd be surprised if he'd died and not get a mention anywhere, but he does look very unwell in that footage.

APPARANTELY HE WAS RECENTLY INTERVIEWED HOOKED UP TO A LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM, DIALYSIS MACHINE AND HEART MONITOR WITH TUBES EVERYWHERE KEEPING HIM ALIVE. . HE SAYS HE'S JUST FINE AND WILL BE OUT OF HOSPITAL SOON. SAME OLD ALI THEN ! .

And in more Saddam related news, Watban Ibrahim Al-Hassan, a former minister and half-brother of Hussein has died of an "incurable disease". He had been under sentence of death since 2009 - saved the state doing it, it seems. http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2455648&language=en

Edit: Wiki has him as Al-Takriti rather than Al-Hassan but quotes the same article. Not sure of these naming things in the Middle East, but hey.

And in more Saddam related news, Watban Ibrahim Al-Hassan, a former minister and half-brother of Hussein has died of an "incurable disease". He had been under sentence of death since 2009 - saved the state doing it, it seems. http://www.kuna.net.kw/ArticleDetails.aspx?id=2455648&language=en

Edit: Wiki has him as Al-Takriti rather than Al-Hassan but quotes the same article. Not sure of these naming things in the Middle East, but hey.

Probably both names are correct. Al-Takriti is the clan name, which Saddam Hussein (abd al-Majid al-Tikriti) also belonged to. Al-Hassan is some descended family, or maybe the father's name was Hassan.

Probably both names are correct. Al-Takriti is the clan name, which Saddam Hussein (abd al-Majid al-Tikriti) also belonged to. Al-Hassan is some descended family, or maybe the father's name was Hassan.

That's precisely how the name game works in the Middle East. "Al-" means "Son of" (or just OF I guess) for the sake of argument. No different than the Norse (Lief ERICson) or even a fine Scotch-Irish "Mac/Mc".

SC

That's precisely how the name game works in the Middle East. "Al-" means "Son of" (or just OF I guess) for the sake of argument. No different than the Norse (Lief ERICson) or even a fine Scotch-Irish "Mac/Mc".

SC

I'm pretty sure "Al" means "the".

"Son" would be "ibn" or "bin", I believe.

Guest droosy

SC

All Saddam´s ministers looked the same, so a) all are related, B) all Iraqis look the same or c) Saddam employed only his look-alikes for fear of being assassinated

SC

There may well be regional or secular differences as well.

IBN (unless it's ibin a separate word) means 'I am', as in 'ibn Arab' or I am Arabic. But I don't profess to know all the differences. I think you are right about 'bin'.

SC

Along those lines, I liked to terrorize the Arabic community restaurants. Did you know there are totally different words in Halibut and Chaldean? I know, neither did I.
For instance, and the one I use commonly, 'shawarma' (Chaldean) is 'gus' like the name in Halibut. No white Euro-descended person would know this at least when I was in Detroit. So I'd go into the Arabic restaurants and order 'gus' which sent a message to the waiter that I was in with a terrorist organization. The look on their faces....

SC

Saddam's loyalist officer Ayad Futayyih Khalifa al-Rawi, who was the Seven of Clubs in the Most wanted Iraqi playing cards, has died of a stroke aged 76 while in custody. This seems legit, but Arabs tend to resurrect often...

What about Comical Ali, is he still alive?  Was rumoured to be at death's door several years ago, but did we ever hear any more?

33 minutes ago, Toast said:

What about Comical Ali, is he still alive?  Was rumoured to be at death's door several years ago, but did we ever hear any more?

No. Apparently still going, but no source since 2014.

• Thanks 1

About Comical Ali, the man who was supposedly dying in 2014, and who was supposedly Comical Ali, has supposedly died in February, according to Ali's Wikipedia, supposedly.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

About Comical Ali, the man who was supposedly dying in 2014, and who was supposedly Comical Ali, has supposedly died in February, according to Ali's Wikipedia, supposedly.

They used a Yemeni source. Doubtful as usual...

On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2007 at 02:15, Guest Guest said:

Sultan Hashim Ahmed and Hussein Rashid Al-Tikriti will also be executed tomorrow. Congrats to the teams who picked them on the DDP when they are executed! ;):o:crossbone:

Reports coming in that Sultan Hashim (former Defence Minister and NOT executed by the Iraqi regime) has now died, possibly of a heart attack, in the jail:  

• Like 2

After al-Douri's death, how many of Saddam's high ranking officers /officials or whatever are alive?

54 minutes ago, arghton said:

After al-Douri's death, how many of Saddam's high ranking officers /officials or whatever are alive?

Tahir Jalil Habbush al Tikriti former head of Iraqi Intelligence still alive and on the run according to Wiki. 

delete

This is one of those threads where you can see scraping the barrel done to an art form.

Al-Douri was the last high profile name still at large. 

There were two lists compiled. The Most Wanted Iraqi playing cards (52 names), and the slightly larger U.S. List of Most Wanted Iraqis (55 names). 

It’s the same 5 still at large on both lists: Kazim, Hani Tilfah, Rafi Tilfah, Habbush and Saif al-Rawi.

Nobody is really looking for these people. They weren’t high profile or central to Saddam’s regime as such. 17 years have passed. It’s possible they’ll continue to evade capture and die in (relative) freedom like al-Douri. 

Saddam's guys alive (atleast the more known ones):

Hamid Raja Shalah (b. 1950) Air marshal and ten of spades. Served his sentence

Mahmud Dhiyab (b. 1953) Diplomat and seven of spades. Served his sentence

Amer Mohammad Rashid (b. 1939) Oil minister under Saddam, six of spades. Served his sentence

Kamal Mustafa Abdullah (b. 1955) Secretary General of the Republican guard, queen of clubs. Sentenced to death in 2011.

Said Al-Din Al-Rawi (b. 1949) Republican guard commander, jack of clubs. Still at large

Larif Nassif Jassim (1941-2021) Minister of labor, culture etc, ten of clubs. Life imprisonment.

Jamal Mustafa Abdullah Sultan (b. ?) deputy head of tribal affairs. Released June 2020

Walid Hamid Tawfiq (b. 1954) governor of Basra, released June 2020.

Husam/Hossam Amin (b. 1953/1958) national monitoring directorate head, served his sentence

Samir Abdul Aziz al-Najim (b. 1937/1938) held several positions, currently imprisoned?

Hani Abd Latif Tilfah (b. 1962) special security organization director and king of hearts. At large.

Barzan Sulayman Majid (b. 1960) special republican guard commander, released 2020.

Rafi Tilfah (b. 1954) director of general security, at large

Muhammad Mahdi Salih (b. 1947/49) minister of trade, served his sentence and living in Jordan

Huda Salih Mahdi Ammash (b. 1953) Ms. Anthrax, only female on the list, served her sentence.

Aziz Salih (b. 1941/1945) Ba'ath party branch command chairman, sentenced to death in 2011. King of diamonds

Muzahim al-Tikriti (b. unknown) air defence forces commander, released 2012

Tahir Jalil Habbush (b. 1950) intelligence service, at large. Jack of diamonds

Amir Hamudi Hasan al-Saadi (b. 1938) man behind Iraq's superweapons program?

Muhammad Saeed al-Sahhaf (b. 1940) Comical Ali.

Mohammed Younis al-Ahmed (b. 1949) Current Ba'ath party leader?

Family:

Sajida Talfah (b. 1937) Saddam's wife and Iraq's first lady

Raghad Hussein (b. 1968) oldest daughter

Rana Hussein (b. 1969) daughter living in Jordan.

Hala Hussein (b. 1972) third daughter

Samira Shahbandar (b. 1946) Second wife, former Iraqi Airways flight attendant

Ali Hussein (b. 1983/1987) Hussein's only alive son with Shahbandar

Ayman Sabawi Ibrahim (b. 1971) half-nephew, guerrila fighter

Kuwait:

Alaa Hussein Ali (ca. 1948-) Prime Minister of the Republic of Kuwait (Saddam's puppet regime) 4th to 8th of August 1990, called "Kuwaiti Quisling"

• Like 1