We're currently experiencing a very significant snowstorm here in the northeast US. It looks like we'll get 2-3 feet of snow and the winds are up to 85 miles per hour. It reminds me very much of the Great Blizzard of 1978 when my wife and I got our first apartment together. Fortunately, I don't have to go anywhere and we haven't lost power .....yet.

Well, for now, it will stop the growing unrest and call to arms from those Americans who feel that they need to take the Country back from the "elite" and have a civil war, if neccessary, to do so.

I fuggin LOVE ATS, im so enjoying my "banter" with the pro gun "Its in the constitution!" lobby! :)

Guest Guest

maybe this heatwave in UK will kill off a few oldies.Anna Wing and Alan Whicker have allready gone so might be in a for a good spell of oldies carking it

maybe this heatwave in UK will kill off a few oldies.Anna Wing and Alan Whicker have allready gone so might be in a for a good spell of oldies carking it

Alan Whicker died of pneumonia! Which is not normally associated with hot weather unless I am very much mistaken.

Also I can't believe anyone would call this a "heatwave". It's barely sodding hot at all. You can go outside for hours at a time these last few days and barely feel a thing. We just don't get heatwaves here. Maybe in places like France or Germany you might get some "surprise" heat that kills old people. Everywhere else, they are already used to it.

Still, first half-decent summer weather we've had in 7 years, so trust the Daily Express to predict hotocalypse!

Still, first half-decent summer weather we've had in 7 years, so trust the Daily Express to predict hotocalypse!

Maybe its because i haven't been to a hot country in a while or we haven't had hot weather in ages, but i'm finding it very hard to sleep in this heat.

Maybe its because i haven't been to a hot country in a while or we haven't had hot weather in ages, but i'm finding it very hard to sleep in this heat.

I think we can all say that but to be honest I don't give a shit if I spend the night dozing and waking up hot at all hours because it is so nice to finally have some decent weather. I can live with this as I know 2 weeks ago I had to put a woolly coat on for a few days (it was the last week in June FFS) and 6 weeks ago I had a hat, scarf and gloves on, it wasJune. I am well aware the winter stuff will be coming out in September and we had snow on the hills here up until 3 weeks ago, it will be just be great to look back and say 'well it is baltic outside but at least we had 2 or 3 great weeks of heat'. I for one am making the most of it.

• Like 1

I think we can all say that but to be honest I don't give a shit if I spend the night dozing and waking up hot at all hours because it is so nice to finally have some decent weather. I can live with this as I know 2 weeks ago I had to put a woolly coat on for a few days (it was the last week in June FFS) and 6 weeks ago I had a hat, scarf and gloves on, it wasJune. I am well aware the winter stuff will be coming out in September and we had snow on the hills here up until 3 weeks ago, it will be just be great to look back and say 'well it is baltic outside but at least we had 2 or 3 great weeks of heat'. I for one am making the most of it.

They say its going to last until aug 9th or 10th somewhere around there. I have to say i don't mind a little hot weather but heatwaves really effect me , im about as white as you can get so the sun isn't my friend haha. I don't mind the UK weather too be honest , i think its extremely unique we get all weather's sun ,snow and everything inbetween and no nasty stuff like tornado's or hurricanes etc. There are Not many countries like that in the world especially countries the size of the uk.

There are Not many countries like that in the world

Ahem, Netherlands, cough.

especially countries the size of the uk.

Oh, never mind.

regards,

Hein

• Like 1

Strangely enough I have been wearing a hat this last week or so, although I hardly ever do even in the cold weather. I am not a "hat person", but having been out and about in the heat of the day, my hats have proved essential for comfort. They are just little straw-type hats, one a stylish sort of trilby shape, the other a kind of cloche style. Only cost about a fiver each. Bargain.

I am going to rant about the heat because I pay the bills for the extra water for showers and the extra electricity for running fans, and for the fly-spray which is choking us.

And because we have duelling stereos, and the children can't sleep or function but especially not when the windows are open and Dean is loudly debating whether or not his mate is cunt etc. And because my neighbours think that the best way to spend a broiling hot day is to stand in front of an open fire and clog what air there is with smoke.

I went to my son's school today for an outdoor event which started at 1 p.m. The children had already been out for the best part of an hour because of lunchtime and were expected to play games until three. I left with my (blond, fair) child an hour early when several children despite hats, sun-screen and water bottles were being carried inside due to faintness and nausea. The car external temperature registered 40 Celsius yet outdoor activities are routinely cancelled due to the threat of drizzle.

I'm going back tomorrow for sports day and will do the same thing if need be. "Sun precautions" are all very well but they don't cut it unless children are near a sea-breeze or a pool. People just don't know how to behave in this weather, that's the problem. Mad dogs and Englishmen...

• Like 1

This last week I've been taking herbal remedy sleep aid tablets. Think they are helping because I'm not doing the odd hour awake thinking about dumb stuff I can't do anything about. Mixture of hops, valerian and Passion flower. I'm not one for over doing things so only taking one table rather than the two dose they advise.

This last week I've been taking herbal remedy sleep aid tablets. Think they are helping because I'm not doing the odd hour awake thinking about dumb stuff I can't do anything about. Mixture of hops, valerian and Passion flower. I'm not one for over doing things so only taking one table rather than the two dose they advise.

I also favour a hop-based sleep-aid!! <_<

Strangely enough I have been wearing a hat this last week or so, although I hardly ever do even in the cold weather. I am not a "hat person", but having been out and about in the heat of the day, my hats have proved essential for comfort. They are just little straw-type hats, one a stylish sort of trilby shape, the other a kind of cloche style. Only cost about a fiver each. Bargain.

I have to say I am a "hat person", I wasn't until I moved to South East Scotland and discovered that the winds down here could almost freeze your ears off. As a Glaswegian I was used to carrying a waterproof about with me everywhere I went, built in hood of course, but that wasn't needed down here so I switched to hats. I have a huge collection of faux fur warm ones but my favourite is the Thinsulate black Beanie hat. My sister-in-law in Australia ordered a load of warm stuff for us Scottish relatives online at Christmas from M & Co, I claimed the knitted scarf with built in knitted hood, it's fab! I tried to find a google image of one online but it is all fancy lacy or filmy stuff coming up, I can assure you mine is not that pretty ;-)

When we first got a glimpse of a heatwave in mid June I nipped in to my local charity shop and picked up the ugliest bright pink straw hat with a huge brim, it cost me £3.50, I just wanted it so I could read my book in the garden without the sun burning my face, it has become a staple part of my attire these last few weeks and I am now wishing I had gone for a more sedate hat I could wear in public, mind you the public are now seeing me in cropped trousers, another addition to my wardrobe I never thought I would make.......

• Like 1

Me too. It's even hotter in the S.E so I had to wear a :o dress on sports day after sitting there dying in cropped jeans and a tunic the day before.

Master Bou was scanning the rows for ages looking straight at me and not recognising me at all.

We've all dispensed with the (usually) obligatory ties at work!

Yipppeeeee................There's a storm coming.............Batten down the hatches!..........Stock up on provisions!.........

Oh and by the way...............Most train services will be suspended until 9.00am!

Storm in a tea cup.....me thinks!

Yipppeeeee................There's a storm coming.............Batten down the hatches!..........Stock up on provisions!.........

Oh and by the way...............Most train services will be suspended until 9.00am!

South Wales & Southern parts of England gonna get it rough overnight. If you venture out into the storm tonight, be mindful of debris. There is nothing worse than being hit in the face by a flying cow or sheep.

• Like 1

South Wales & Southern parts of England gonna get it rough overnight. If you venture out into the storm tonight, be mindful of debris. There is nothing worse than being hit in the face by a flying cow or sheep.

Or an alpaca.

Or an alpaca.

"A moderately windy night. The really great storm was......the great storm."

Another meltdown of the whole country for no good fucking reason. Although tragedy struck at my house overnight, when the lid off the recycling box moved slightly, allowing a Marisota catalogue to escape from it's confines to underneath my patio table. Thankfully there were no serious injuries.

GET A FUCKING GRIP, BRITAIN. CANCELLING TRAINS INDEED. NO WONDER WE'RE THE FUCKING LAUGHING STOCK OF THE UNIVERSE.

• Like 1

And I got a very wet and dirty car... It was white...

The score in the Netherlands: 2 kills and 100 million Euro worth of damage.

regards,

Hein

Five freaking inches of ice covers Dallas-Fort Worth. No snow, just ice. Grandson discovered he could sneak out the front door while I was making dinner and slide down the deck stairs on his butt - in his pajamas with no shoes. It's 27F outside with a wind chill of 18F. It took me 30 minutes to get the front door opened yesterday. The roads are so dangerous it isn't even a joke and some idiot tried to drive on the interstate that runs through my town and wound up sliding off the bridge into the lake and dying pretty immediately. I'm stuck in the house with a hyperactive 2-year-old, a completely emo 21 year old, my husband and my mother - and the three dogs who are completely against the idea of going outside to do their chores.

On the plus side, I got my paper on the Decameron done early and now have freedom to study for my finals - if people will leave me alone.

This happens every few years or so but I still hate it beyond belief.