maryportfuncity

Where Will The Next School Massacre Be?

Call the country  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

USA always, given our laws. But let's be specific and impressive: due to many post jobs in the oil field and a loss of hope I certain communities, I'll say Williston, ND or Cotulla or Carrizo Springs TX.

SC

Those aren't places , they're muscle cars.

How could the USA be #1? It'll obviously happen Afghanistan. The only reason you hear more about school massacres in the USA is because there, they are a rarity, while terrorist attacks are common in Afghanistan.

:blink:

Okay, maybe not a rarity, but it's not like they're an everyday thing. "Only" a couple of times a year.

That's still a LOT more then any other country...

Sure, but Afghanistan has much more terrorists.

Wikipedia has helpfully collated a record of school shootings. Here's the page that lists the US school shootings, and here's the main page which lists the rest of the world.

2hqtcuu.png

"There are notable school shootings all over the world, with the United States having the highest number of school-related shootings."

Interesting to note that Switzerland has half the number of guns per capita (fourth) compared to the United States (first) but doesn't feature at all on the list.

The difference is that Switzerland has national service, so after all that they're then fully trained and permitted to carry a firearm. Whereas in the United States people assume that just because it says in the constitution that they can own a firearm, they think they should.

You can't just 'carry a gun' in the US! On the contrary. The percentage of law-abiding citizens packing a piece at any given time has to be under 2% and legally carrying (ie got a permit) I'd venture to guess under 0.2%. Someone watching too many Hollywood movies.

SC

How could the USA be #1? It'll obviously happen Afghanistan. The only reason you hear more about school massacres in the USA is because there, they are a rarity, while terrorist attacks are common in Afghanistan.

:blink:

Okay, maybe not a rarity, but it's not like they're an everyday thing. "Only" a couple of times a year.

That's still a LOT more then any other country...

Sure, but Afghanistan has much more terrorists.

Wikipedia has helpfully collated a record of school shootings. Here's the page that lists the US school shootings, and here's the main page which lists the rest of the world.

2hqtcuu.png

"There are notable school shootings all over the world, with the United States having the highest number of school-related shootings."

Interesting to note that Switzerland has half the number of guns per capita (fourth) compared to the United States (first) but doesn't feature at all on the list.
The difference is that Switzerland has national service, so after all that they're then fully trained and permitted to carry a firearm. Whereas in the United States people assume that just because it says in the constitution that they can own a firearm, they think they should.

You can't just 'carry a gun' in the US! On the contrary. The percentage of law-abiding citizens packing a piece at any given time has to be under 2% and legally carrying (ie got a permit) I'd venture to guess under 0.2%. Someone watching too many Hollywood movies.

SC

It ain't the law-abiding citizens that's the problem!

However your post makes no sense, even if the figures could be believed. Of the under 2% of law abiding citizens packing a piece, only under 0.2% are doing it legally, thus making the remainder of your group of law-abiding citizens law-breakers.

Anyway, please tell me you have some basis for these figures (the under 2% & under 0.2%) and they aren't just plucked at random from the ether.

If only that were the case.

See (for example) this and this. And that's just the kids, never mind the recent case (here) of 'bra-carry'...

Law abiding citizens are also part of the problem.

Oddly enough, and I admit this sort of surprised me, you are probably safer if you don't carry a gun even for defensive purposes. In a confrontation with an armed assailant it appears you will fare better when forced to use your gob than a gun. With a gun you're more likely to end up in a shootout with a guy who was more prepared for it than you were.

Edited to add link to bra-carry post, since I found it.

If only that were the case.

See (for example) this and this. And that's just the kids, never mind the recent case (on here somewhere?) of 'bra-carry'...

Law abiding citizens are also part of the problem.

It's a strange thing, this "right to bear arms" idea. It resembles religion closely, as in that reason has little to do with it.

The two stories of children shooting children you linked to give clues that it's not just the legality of gun ownership that is at stake, it's also the lack of responsibility some owners show to ensure their precious guns are, and stay, locked away safely. Parents who let 'loaded guns "just laying on the floor"' ought to be locked away safely as well.

Why one would want to give a 5-year-old a .22-caliber Crickett rifle as a present I can't imagine. Just to give an idea what we're talking about:

KSA220.jpg

(I nicked that image from http://www.crickett.com/crickett_22_LR.php, proud manufacturers of My first rifle.)

Oooh, pretty!

ETA: I have a marketing suggestion for those creeps:

KSA220_2.jpg

regards,

Hein

Edited by Magere Hein
Spoof added
  • Like 2

Of course there are many law abiding citizens that carry guns in the US. And when they shoot someone else (unless it's in self-defense) they automatically become felons

But how about this "law abiding" ex-cop who shot his daughters before turning the gun on himself.

From that article:- "DiPietro-Hochman and her surviving family were inconsolable late Saturday and would not come to the phone when reached."

Touch unsympathetic to try ringing them for comment I'd have thought. No?

Ah well newspapers eh?

And pedantically, since they didn't answer, how do you actually know they were inconsolable? Also if they didn't answer they weren't 'reached' either. pfft.

Not that guns are ever going away in the US. This has been self evident no matter how many of these appalling incidents occur.

• Like 1

Guest awesome guest

What will happen is that will burst into a school and shoot a few people. Then the government will have the gun debate and nothing will change because these gun nuts won't stop clinging to their fucking guns like its a way of life when all it is a device that shoots bullets and kills, yes, kills that's the function of a gun TO KILL. Rant over

... And a three year old shoots his one year old brother in the head in Cleveland: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-14/police-investigating-fatal-shooting-of-baby-by-3yo/6390758

Not at a school---nothing to see here.

DJL this is 'Murica I can find you 3-4 stories like that every week. Regrettably

SC

... And a three year old shoots his one year old brother in the head in Cleveland: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-14/police-investigating-fatal-shooting-of-baby-by-3yo/6390758

Not at a school---nothing to see here.

DJL this is 'Murica I can find you 3-4 stories like that every week. Regrettably

SC

And sadly those 3-4 news stories would also be from the same area.

I was watching the local news here in Minnesota this morning. If it wasn't a news article about sport, it was an news report on someone being found shot dead in their home, or was shot at walking downtown late at night.

^^^ none of which are 'massacres' unfortunately.

Guest Guest

update- at least 9 dead in church shooting. death toll likely to increase

Guest Guest

the gunman is still on the loose. Charleston is on lockdown. Police have confirmed it's a hate crime. No shit Sherlock !

Chances of yanks banning guns - zero. Obama has nothing to lose and even he can't come out and say it ('this doesn't happen in other developed countries').

Chances of yanks banning guns - zero. Obama has nothing to lose and even he can't come out and say it ('this doesn't happen in other developed countries').

yanks will not tighten their gun laws becuase of too many narcissistic southerns who put their power fantasys over other human beings.
  • Like 2

It does happen in other developed countries, just not on the frequency that it happens in the U.S. a few years will pass between these things. I can only think of 3 that happened in the U.K in the past 30 years.