maryportfuncity

Where Will The Next School Massacre Be?

Call the country  

180 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What a nutjob. Thank fuck for the Atlantic ocean.

I'm no fan of Piers Morgan but that was an awesome display of letting someone hang themselves. Not that he had to put in too much effort.

Do these Yanks have any idea how ludicrous they sound when they defend their gun culture?! A toddler could walk into a nursery and gun down all his little friends and they still wouldn't get it

They'll blame the taking of "God" and prayer out of the schools.

Kinda proves my point

Mike Huckabee already started that line of blame after the Sandy Hook massacre, although I don't think he could explain all the shootings that happened prior to prayer being removed. Plus all the blame about video games being the reason, although that didn't stop Charles Whitman in 1966. Video games...No. Prayer in schools..Yes

Killed 16 and injured 32.

How did they get to be the most powerful nation on earth??

• Like 1

I'm no fan of Piers Morgan but that was an awesome display of letting someone hang themselves. Not that he had to put in too much effort.

Do these Yanks have any idea how ludicrous they sound when they defend their gun culture?! A toddler could walk into a nursery and gun down all his little friends and they still wouldn't get it

Kinda proves my point

Mike Huckabee already started that line of blame after the Sandy Hook massacre, although I don't think he could explain all the shootings that happened prior to prayer being removed. Plus all the blame about video games being the reason, although that didn't stop Charles Whitman in 1966. Video games...No. Prayer in schools..Yes

Prayer was never removed from schools - that's the kicker. SPONSORED prayer, yes. ORGANIZED prayer, yes. Prayer in and of itself - no. Anyone can pray their little bohiney off in any school, courthouse, jail, federal building, etc... in the US. What Huckabee and his ilk want is for the schools to have organized prayer again.

http://en.wikipedia....r#United_States

Wiki has a good rundown of Engle v Vitale and Abington SD v Schempp.

A friend of mine used to have a bumper sticker that said something like 'Anyone who thinks there is no prayer in public schools should be here during final exams." Truth.

• Like 4

Kinda proves my point

Prayer was never removed from schools - that's the kicker. SPONSORED prayer, yes. ORGANIZED prayer, yes. Prayer in and of itself - no. Anyone can pray their little bohiney off in any school, courthouse, jail, federal building, etc... in the US. What Huckabee and his ilk want is for the schools to have organized prayer again.

http://en.wikipedia....r#United_States

Wiki has a good rundown of Engle v Vitale and Abington SD v Schempp.

A friend of mine used to have a bumper sticker that said something like 'Anyone who thinks there is no prayer in public schools should be here during final exams." Truth.

Yup, pleading to an invisible man in the sky that no homicidal lunatic will come in and blow their angelic little faces off with his/her constitutionally-protected, legally purchased firearms ought to do it :)

If the invisible man in the sky can't do anything about the cafeteria food it's a lead pipe cinch he ain't a bulletproof shield.

• Like 2

Even per US standards Texas is especially unsurprising, given how gun obsessed the place is

Ok... dont go and crucify me but... does anyone still think all of these shootings are just coincidences when the gov is pushing for gun control? Either that or theyre just making every US shooting into national top news. I don't know how many deathlisters live in the US, but literally about every single day since Sandy Hook theres been another shooting in national headlines.

Ok... dont go and crucify me but... does anyone still think all of these shootings are just coincidences when the gov is pushing for gun control? Either that or theyre just making every US shooting into national top news. I don't know how many deathlisters live in the US, but literally about every single day since Sandy Hook theres been another shooting in national headlines.

This one appears to just be an argument between two people that hit a bystander. The only other one after Sandy Hook that I can remember was the one in California where the student was talked down after only injuring one person. So far there hasn't been a real mass shooting, just the occasional escalated argument.

If they government is starting these shootings to spurn gun control, they're doing a shit job of it.

• Like 2

There is always a surge of copycat shootings in the weeks and months after such disasters. Psychologists blame the media for portraying them too dramatically and making the killers out to be anti-heroes, but the media don't take any notice and keep reporting them in the same way

There is always a surge of copycat shootings in the weeks and months after such disasters. Psychologists blame the media for portraying them too dramatically and making the killers out to be anti-heroes, but the media don't take any notice and keep reporting them in the same way

How about blaming the people with the guns who go out and do the shooting?

• Like 1

They've tried that too and the reply you'd get is "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun"

• Like 1

They've tried that too and the reply you'd get is "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun"

I loved that quote! The logistics of it make it an astounding claim. I do not know numbers but there must be in excess of 100000 primary and secondary schools in America and can you imagine trying to find at least one armed security guard for each establishment who then will have to be checked to ensure that they themselves would not pose a threat to the children (in any sense). It beggers belief.

For those who are familiar with fire safety there is the fire triange - three elements all of which need to be present to start a fire, source of ignition, fuel and oxygen. To prevent fire you ensure that one of the elements is not present such as no smoking or preventing the storage of combustible materials close to a heat source.

Surely it is best to remove the element that is need to a mass shooting i.e a gun capable of firing mass rounds. This is not an argument for getting rid of a hunting rifle or a single shot gun.

I loved that quote! The logistics of it make it an astounding claim. I do not know numbers but there must be in excess of 100000 primary and secondary schools in America and can you imagine trying to find at least one armed security guard for each establishment who then will have to be checked to ensure that they themselves would not pose a threat to the children (in any sense). It beggers belief.

For those who are familiar with fire safety there is the fire triange - three elements all of which need to be present to start a fire, source of ignition, fuel and oxygen. To prevent fire you ensure that one of the elements is not present such as no smoking or preventing the storage of combustible materials close to a heat source.

Surely it is best to remove the element that is need to a mass shooting i.e a gun capable of firing mass rounds. This is not an argument for getting rid of a hunting rifle or a single shot gun.

I replied to some pro-gun nut on Facebook by saying that guns are made to maim and kill. His reply? "guns aren't made to kill, they're made for hunting"

I replied to some pro-gun nut on Facebook by saying that guns are made to maim and kill. His reply? "guns aren't made to kill, they're made for hunting"

HAHAHAHA!! what do they do, lull the animal into a false sense of security and then render them unconscious without killing them?

HAHAHAHA!! what do they do, lull the animal into a false sense of security and then render them unconscious without killing them?

Doing an Ariel Sharon to 'em :lol:

They do that too, but it's about why these people do these things. Clearly there is an argument to suggest that some are caused by attention-seeking or a desire to gain notoriety. It's not a coincidence that the number of mass shootings has shot up as television has developed and news coverage has become much larger - school/college/university shootings are largely a phenomenon of the second half of the 20th century, starting with the University of Texas shooting in 1966

I know not everyone here is a Charlie Brooker fan but this was very good, especially the psychiatrist's comments from 1:40 on:

These suggestions aren't the be-all and end-all for preventing these things from happening but not following the advice certainly isn't going to stop them

Sad but true.That's why I voted U.S.A.

In fairness, the number of shootings may not be different to usual - they're just further up the headline charts because it's flavour of the month here. And at that point it becomes voyeurism because there's absolutely nothing we can do to change this if we don't live in the US

I've voted for our plate smashing, financially challenged European comrades, who preside in Greece.

Being skint all the time is no fun, one of them will snap and stick a few caps in a few arses, me reckons.

I've voted for our plate smashing, financially challenged European comrades, who preside in Greece.

Being skint all the time is no fun, one of them will snap and stick a few caps in a few arses, me reckons.

The extreme right Golden Dawn are on the rise there, suppose that coud increase the likelihood of a Brevik-style massacre from one of their number

• Like 1