Worthing Paul

The Chequered Flag

Randy Pemberton, the NASCAR broadcaster from the late 1980s and 1990s recently passed away. If you were a NASCAR fan in the late 1980s and 1990s, chances are you recognize the voice and the name of Pemberton. The broadcaster was 62 years old.

SC

Tony Brooks has died today.

He was the last surviving winner of a 1950's Grand Prix and a whole lot of history has just gone with him.

Full obituaries in the broadsheet and BBC to follow overnight.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

He was the last surviving winner of a 1950's Grand Prix and a whole lot of history has just gone with him.

Will those obits have anything to say about his fondness for turning out in public in blackface - I mean, different times back then, right?

_112111189_gettyimages-3142309.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

I remember being very surprised a few years ago to discover he was still alive. Incredibly, with his loss, that means the earliest surviving World Championship Grand Prix winner is Sir Jackie Stewart by my reckoning (1965 Italian Grand Prix). His wins there in 1965 and at Monaco in 1966 are the only pre-1968 races for which the winner still survives. Jacky Ickx is the only other World Championship race winner from the 1960s still alive. You can add in Emerson Fittipaldi and Mario Andretti and get to 1973. There's a few more from the mid 70s (Scheckter, Mass, Watson) but they're few and far between. So many deaths, not just in F1 but from racing in general.

There will be non-championship race winners and, of course, F1 race competitors who didn't win still going from earlier, but Brooks is definitely the end of an era.

• Like 3

At the North West 200 today the reputation of Dunlop tyres died a death, a number of riders including Michael Dunlop, Davy Todd and Peter Hickman had fly appart (both front and rear), thankfully everyone was ok.

This was Hickman's which happened at over 200mph!!

Screenshot_20220514-195258.jpg

8 hours ago, One shot Paddy said:

At the North West 200 today the reputation of Dunlop tyres died a death, a number of riders including Michael Dunlop, Davy Todd and Peter Hickman had fly appart (both front and rear), thankfully everyone was ok.

This was Hickman's which happened at over 200mph!!

Screenshot_20220514-195258.jpg

Very promising for the races to come!

15 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Very promising for the races to come!

The North West has always been rough on tyres, I remember a lot of times bits flying off and guys having to stop, but the bits were about 1 cm2 not 1/4 or 1/2 the fucking thing. 

Michael Dunlops exploded at 160 odd and smashed the back off his seat, there's a video doing the rounds (the guy taking it got hit by a lump of rubber) but my phone won't post it so here is a photo.

IMG-20220514-WA0003.jpg

9 hours ago, JQW said:

TT rider Mark Purslow died after a crash at this evening's practice session.

https://twitter.com/ttracesofficial/status/1532112577848827907?t=b0Mfmg6Gk2PlHyWmXk3Aeg&s=19

Guardian reporting it - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/jun/02/mark-purslow-dies-after-isle-of-man-tt-qualifying-accident

I am surprised it has not been banned with such a high death rate? 

8 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

I am surprised it has not been banned with such a high death rate? 

This reminds me of one of The Onion's all time classics ( @Joey Russ this one is from before you were born, fecking hell):

Fun Toy Banned Because Of Three Stupid Dead Kids (theonion.com)

Another TT death today with the passing of sidecar passenger Olivier Lavorel. His pilot César Chanel is in a critical condition. 

Eldon Rasmussen, former Indianapolis 500 driver, has died today. I'm sure Stateside obituaries will follow shortly.

• Like 1

Just got a call, an old mate of mine killed at the TT, not been made public yet so DM is all I'm posting at the moment. Shit year so far:(

• Sad 10

Davy Morgan, a true gentleman, a bit older and a bit faster than me so someone I always measured myself against. Today's race was his 80th TT, 10 miles from the finish he lost the front and was killed instantly. Ride in Peace.

FB_IMG_1654529432605.jpg

• Sad 7

The U.K. stock car scene lost a true icon today with the passing of Bill Batten. He won 4 x World, 6 x British and 6 x national points championships in the full contact F2 formula, which for most of his 30 year+ career had in excess of 400 active drivers. Nobody here has probably heard of him, but for those involved in our sport, it’s big news and well deserved a mention here. 

• Like 2

On 04/06/2022 at 23:18, JQW said:

Another TT death today with the passing of sidecar passenger Olivier Lavorel. His pilot César Chanel is in a critical condition. 

Turns out Cesar Chanal was the one who died in a case of mistaken identification and that Lavorel remains in a critical condition: https://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/motorcycling/sad-death-of-french-sidecar-driver-cesar-chanal-confirmed-after-crash-at-isle-of-man-tt-confusion-after-organisers-announce-mistaken-case-of-identity-3723869

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Imagine the condition of them both for mistaken identity. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Having written these two contrasting instructions I've decided to leave, ludicrous though it is to state 'imagine' and then suggest not thinking about it.

• Like 1

Been a while since the last OoO update, wondering if there's any new info about certain old racing drivers. Especially curious on anything about Jean-Pierre Jabouille (supposedly has dementia according to his friend and former racing driver Jacques Laffite).

7 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

Imagine the condition of them both for mistaken identity. Doesn't bear thinking about.

Having written these two contrasting instructions I've decided to leave, ludicrous though it is to state 'imagine' and then suggest not thinking about it.

A friend 's husband witnessed the accident. It sounds every bit as horrific as you are trying not to imagine and I wish she hadn't told me. I feel so sorry for Cesar Chanal's family.

1 hour ago, Handrejka said:

A friend 's husband witnessed the accident. It sounds every bit as horrific as you are trying not to imagine and I wish she hadn't told me. I feel so sorry for Cesar Chanal's family.

I saw a video taken from Bray a few seconds after the crash and wish I hadn't. I know all the guys over here wear Id with name and blood group but as they are from France maybe not? I'll have to ask someone what the regs are for the TT.

42 minutes ago, One shot Paddy said:

I saw a video taken from Bray a few seconds after the crash and wish I hadn't. I know all the guys over here wear Id with name and blood group but as they are from France maybe not? I'll have to ask someone what the regs are for the TT.

I believe they are supposed to wear ID.

21 minutes ago, JQW said:

The regularity of deaths at these races has now reached facepalm dimensions for me.

On 08/06/2022 at 22:20, Handrejka said:

I believe they are supposed to wear ID.

They were wearing each others dog tags which caused the mix-up. Regs for next year will require tags and info patch on leathers, at the moment you can use one or other (my first thought was that the leathers had been cut off and mixed up). It's possible that they just lifted each others by mistake or it may have been a thing they did for luck, riders can be a superstitious lot.