Lord Fellatio Nelson

DL Status Updates: Statements, Obsevations & Verbal Tennis

image.png.aebdc6c077ffaf5df2741f9ce11d211e.png

Yes, success!!

image.png.46df80ae3d492a53a363162943b9927e.png

managed to make a comment in one of those pointless short-lived threads before PB closed it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well folks, I think it's safe to say Twitter is as good as dead at this point. Not too long ago I posted here about Twitter disabling search access to anonymous users and lurkers, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to stop there and that eventually they would disable anonymous access entirely and sure enough, they have done it. Twitter have completely disabled their site towards anonymous viewers and you are now forced to log in just to view the site.

Twitter was one of my primary sources to find out info about the status of lesser known famous people who've not been around in the public eye such as B List NASCAR drivers or club level Spanish footballers, so with the site now inaccessible it just becomes harder to do that.

Elon Musk is claiming that it's "temporary" but I have a feeling it's just another one of his BS statements, it was clear for a while now that this is the direction that Musk was going to take the site towards. I have a feeling we'll be seeing a paywall for Twitter next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheSpinosaurus said:

Well folks, I think it's safe to say Twitter is as good as dead at this point. Not too long ago I posted here about Twitter disabling search access to anonymous users and lurkers, I had a feeling that it wasn't going to stop there and that eventually they would disable anonymous access entirely and sure enough, they have done it. Twitter have completely disabled their site towards anonymous viewers and you are now forced to log in just to view the site.

Twitter was one of my primary sources to find out info about the status of lesser known famous people who've not been around in the public eye such as B List NASCAR drivers or club level Spanish footballers, so with the site now inaccessible it just becomes harder to do that.

--snip--

Just create an account? Facebook/Instagram has been that way for a while....

16 minutes ago, MortalCaso said:

Just create an account? Facebook/Instagram has been that way for a while....

You can still access Facebook pages and public profiles just fine as an anonymous user, same with Instagram to a lesser extent and there are a handful of 3rd party websites and apps that allow for you to browse Instagram accounts pretty easily. With Twitter, you have to log in to even access the site.

Why not make an account?  I've got accounts on both FB and Twitter, but I don't use my real name or my main email address.

That's pretty much what I've decided to do, created a throwaway account for Twitter hoping the site doesn't get paywalled.

I don't even use Twitter anymore at this point. Even with the amount of fuckwits/fuckwit-related keywords I blocked it felt like there was always going to be something mood-souring on my feed. Moved back to Tumblr which was a near-unfathomable thought even three years ago!

I seem to be in the minority of having enormous fun on Twitter whilst managing to avoid most of the toxicity. I do hope it doesn't go to pay only though. 

• Like 2

No worries, Twitter’s up the cunt today anyway. New tweets aren’t loading to my feed because ‘Rate Limit Exceeded’. 

1 hour ago, TQR said:

No worries, Twitter’s up the cunt today anyway. New tweets aren’t loading to my feed because ‘Rate Limit Exceeded’. 

Elon's on the case. If only he hadn't fired all his tech guys!

OI wouldn't mind so much, but most of the posts I've read this afternoon consist of "FFS!"

• Like 1

Twitter has been a really invaluable news source over the years, but it’s as good as dead now. I won’t pay to still have a limit on the amounts of tweets I can see per day, and 600 is a measly amount. 

In terms of death reports, you won’t be able to scan the feed like previous. Also if you use it as a source there’s a chance other people on here may not be able to read the tweet if they’ve exceeded their daily quota. 

In a broader sense if you’re anyone who follows current affairs or OSINT, there is no way to keep up with fast moving events - prime example being the Russian mutiny just last week. I would’ve got through 600 tweets in about 5 minutes of scrolling and been locked out of any further updates for the day. It was the case that lists still allowed unlimited tweet viewing, but that seems to have changed in the last few hours.

• Like 5

It seems to be working somewhat better again now. I’ve just seen more than 800 tweets in 10 mins and it is still working. Lists went down earlier but they all working now and I can fully search again. 

Think deadpooling is now going back to 2010-ish kind of research?

But there will be something else. It has to, the idea of a public forum, open to everyone is too attractive not to happen.

• Like 3

I'm trying to absorb what it all means as well, it's going to be a big change to anyone who uses the internet for research, not just deadpoolers. When you add this to how useless Google is these days and the Reddit API travails.... 

• Like 1

I wonder how long Musk will leave it before announcing some changes are permanent. Journalists love of using Twitter will  mean they will be plenty of press debate about it.

I reckon Elon wants to make Twitter useless so that it will get bought cheap in a year or two by someone else. Then it will get better because an autistic millionaire isn't being impulsive (I say this as someone who is waiting for a diagnosis).

• Like 1

It’s just bizarre. It was working all morning and I was searching and seeing way more than 1,000 tweets but then it has gone again.

On 01/07/2023 at 10:52, Bibliogryphon said:

I seem to be in the minority of having enormous fun on Twitter whilst managing to avoid most of the toxicity. I do hope it doesn't go to pay only though. 

I seem to be even more of a minority in declaring day 1 I’d never have a Twitter account.  Enjoy your drama.

I spend a solid 90 minutes on FB every day and it used to be the same here but I’ve really cut back to maybe 45 minutes.  Still, that’s over two hours a day, no time for Twitter or Tumblr or Instagram or the next Johnny-Come-Lately social media platform.  Until Facebook is supplanted (as if, not holding my breath) that’s where I’ll be.  I admin 5 sites there (3 professional ones, 2 for fun) - so when I bitch about how DeathList is ‘Administered’ it’s based on experience.

What confounds me is why Musk didn’t just build a platform to his liking for 1/1000 the cost and ‘if you build it, they will come’.  

2 minutes ago, Sir Creep said:

I spend a solid 90 minutes on FB every day and it used to be the same here but I’ve really cut back to maybe 45 minutes.

Keep up the good work. You’re half way there!

3 hours ago, TQR said:

Keep up the good work. You’re half way there!

Cute.

But what this DOES mean is that there are plenty of folks on DL who have no Twitter account, and as it’s been pointed out if you post ‘obits’ from Twitter they canna be opened/read by those people.  So either DL can suckle Elon Musk’s teat or our ‘Admins’ can say no more posting obits from Twitter as they are useless.

As Twitter is clearly in the throes of terminal arse cancer, Meta has launched Threads. It’s like Twitter on horse tranq at the moment but has garnered over 10m new accounts in 7 hours.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

As Twitter is clearly in the throes of terminal arse cancer, Meta has launched Threads. It’s like Twitter on horse tranq at the moment but has garnered over 10m new accounts in 7 hours.

For those of us of a certain age, the word "Threads" chills us to the bone.  Fucking terrifying.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TQR said:

I've seen it described as Twitter, if it only had the 'For You' tab; I can't remember my Instagram login so I haven't been in yet.

58 minutes ago, Toast said:

For those of us of a certain age, the word "Threads" chills us to the bone.  Fucking terrifying.

I am 'of a certain age' and yet I've never seen it. I'm fairly certain I was out of the country when it was first broadcast, but it must have been repeated.

• Like 1