DevonDeathTrip

Life In Prison

James Barnes (Wiki), American serial killer who raped and murdered Patricia "Patsy" Miller, a 41-year-old nurse in 1988 in Florida, dead at 61

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

Ah, the usual then

Another appaling inmate joins the prison population. Lucy Letby, nurse who killed seven babies. Likely in extreme danger from here on in wherever she is. That said, there's a history of such mentions on this thread, no doubt of the dangers, random attacks - most recently on Ian Watkins - a certainty, but severe injuries don't bring dead pool points and the variables in this tawdry mess make calling the potential deaths a lottery at best. However, for those building stables of talent for future competition, "Here's Lucy...!"    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66180606

• Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Ah, the usual then

Another appaling inmate joins the prison population. Lucy Letby, nurse who killed seven babies. Likely in extreme danger from here on in wherever she is. That said, there's a history of such mentions on this thread, no doubt of the dangers, random attacks - most recently on Ian Watkins - a certainty, but severe injuries don't bring dead pool points and the variables in this tawdry mess make calling the potential deaths a lottery at best. However, for those building stables of talent for future competition, "Here's Lucy...!"    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66180606

Would be amazed if it's not a whole-life sentence tbh. Given that she stood in the witness box for days and told a pack of lies to the jury, there don't seem to be any mitigating circumstances whatsoever.

Perhaps in time they'll give her a cell next to Beverley Allitt so they can discuss where it all went wrong. 

• Facepalm 1

Obviously there will be a lot more discussion of Letby in the coming days but I wanted to mention a group of people who are very rarely considered in these cases. Every convicted murderer has a family. Given her young age I assume both her parents are still living, and she may well have a brother, or sister ... of course it's up to them how much contact they want to maintain from now on but I guess it's a parent's instinct never to completely abandon their child, no matter what they've done. If they do decide to cut off all contact  I suppose she could be considered an increased suicide risk (although the prisons make that pretty difficult nowadays). It would be interesting to know if Huntley, convicted at a similar age, is still in contact with family members. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

The Daily Mirror has announced baby killer Lucy Letby is on 24 hour suicide watch. Not sure if there are any reason why they suspect she is at higher risk of committing suicide as I imagine that is standard procedure for all serial killers.

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, The Old Crem said:

The Daily Mirror has announced baby killer Lucy Letby is on 24 hour suicide watch. Not sure if there are any reason why they suspect she is at higher risk of committing suicide as I imagine that is standard procedure for all serial killers.

I think anyone convicted of that would be a risk.

• Facepalm 1

On 18/08/2023 at 20:43, Cerberus said:

Obviously there will be a lot more discussion of Letby in the coming days but I wanted to mention a group of people who are very rarely considered in these cases. Every convicted murderer has a family. Given her young age I assume both her parents are still living, and she may well have a brother, or sister ... of course it's up to them how much contact they want to maintain from now on but I guess it's a parent's instinct never to completely abandon their child, no matter what they've done. If they do decide to cut off all contact  I suppose she could be considered an increased suicide risk (although the prisons make that pretty difficult nowadays). It would be interesting to know if Huntley, convicted at a similar age, is still in contact with family members. 

If she was my family member I would disown her.There is a limit.

• Facepalm 1

On 19/08/2023 at 22:43, Sean said:

If she was my family member I would disown her.There is a limit.

Perhaps a brother or sister can do that ... I don't think it's so easy when it's someone you gave birth to. Both of her parents failed to appear at the sentencing, but until then they'd attended every day, at considerable expense - booking a hotel near the court. 

• Facepalm 1

HG Tudor is doing a character analysis of LL.  10 parts so far, to be continued.

Well worth a listen.  It's just audio, so you can listen while doing something else.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/23635389/stephen-farrow-dead-killer-stabbed-vicar-pensioner/

Convicted double murderer  Stephen Farrow who battered pensioner Betty Yates  to death and a month later stabbed Reverend John Suddards aged 59 to death in early 2012, has died in prison in County Durham. He was 58. 

He was given two whole life orders and his motive seemed to be an obsessive hatred of christians.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

On 18/06/2021 at 01:26, arghton said:

59 years - Booker T. Hillery (b. 1931) Murder.

57 years - Terry Caspersen (b. ca. 1942) Stabbed 18-year old woman in 1964 who later died. Denied parole in July 2021, frail.

Terry Caspersen died in prison in May at 80, Booker T. Hillary died in January at 91 according to this

• Facepalm 1

On 19/08/2023 at 02:43, Cerberus said:

Her parents are apparently planning to move house to be closer to her prison. Her family seems a little bit Royston Vasey.

• Facepalm 1

On 18/01/2022 at 14:41, Thatcher said:

Steven Bouquet, the Brighton Cat Killer, has died. No cause of death given, but it was mentioned at his trial last year that he had thyroid cancer which had spread to liver and lungs. 

Obituaries: The Independent

Covid apparently (or karma) https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/31/brighton-cat-killer-stephen-bouquet-died-from-covid-19-inquest-finds?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

while receiving end of life care 

• Facepalm 1

So when Rose West was being described as dying, or close to death, or terminally ill (I can't recall), it was actually a warning to her because she was becoming dangerously fat:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rose-wests-bizarre-prison-life-29995261

"In February 2019, news was shared that West ballooned to 18 stone and was considered "dangerously overweight". She was told that if she didn't lose weight she could face an early death, so she opted to go on a ketogenic diet in a bid to lose excess fat, according to reports.

West's weight spiralled as she lived off a diet of cake, crisps and chocolate, but she had to ditch the sugary treats for more nutritious foods such as fish, salads and vegetables. Medics said West sufferers from high blood pressure and risked developing heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

"West has been told on a number of occasions that she is dangerously overweight," one jail source told The Daily Star. "She has opted to go on the keto diet, which promises rapid weight loss quickly if you stick strictly to the rules.

"She is so heavy that she is often out of breath and sometimes has to have help getting off the toilet." West's new diet saw her consume only 20g of carbohydrates a day and she was told not to consume more than 1,500 calories daily."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, gcreptile said:

So when Rose West was being described as dying, or close to death, or terminally ill (I can't recall), it was actually a warning to her because she was becoming dangerously fat:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/rose-wests-bizarre-prison-life-29995261

"In February 2019, news was shared that West ballooned to 18 stone and was considered "dangerously overweight". She was told that if she didn't lose weight she could face an early death, so she opted to go on a ketogenic diet in a bid to lose excess fat, according to reports.

West's weight spiralled as she lived off a diet of cake, crisps and chocolate, but she had to ditch the sugary treats for more nutritious foods such as fish, salads and vegetables. Medics said West sufferers from high blood pressure and risked developing heart disease and type 2 diabetes.

"West has been told on a number of occasions that she is dangerously overweight," one jail source told The Daily Star. "She has opted to go on the keto diet, which promises rapid weight loss quickly if you stick strictly to the rules.

"She is so heavy that she is often out of breath and sometimes has to have help getting off the toilet." West's new diet saw her consume only 20g of carbohydrates a day and she was told not to consume more than 1,500 calories daily."

.....how?! How do you over eat to a morbid degree when your every meal is state mandated ? 

• Facepalm 1

51 minutes ago, j0neseur0 said:

.....how?! How do you over eat to a morbid degree when your every meal is state mandated ? 

Because she's a bully.

• Facepalm 1

Luis Garavito dead at 66.

• Like 6
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, drol said:

Luis Garavito dead at 66.

I was already losing hope, had him picked more last year than this year.

But it might push my B-Team into Top 10 territory once the year is over.

And by the way, one of the worst people of the planet. 

• Facepalm 1