JR976evil

Journalists

On 18/02/2024 at 14:59, YoungWillz said:

Things probably looking worse in recent times for Charlie Bird: 

Charlie Bird Dead

• Like 11

I'm conflicted hosting such a time-sensitive pool like the Cup but also giving notable deadpooling news that could affect the competition.

But I decided to post it, because I accidentally found it while looking for my ABC pool prospects (and also, I geniunely like to post the news, like I often do).

Journalist/Ice cream author Amy Ettinger is now in hospice:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2024/03/09/amy-ettinger-hospice-cancer-inspiration/

She's also a DDP pick, and I am interested if she gets more than her WashPost coverage.

• Like 1

James Mates has been unable to finish a sentence without tripping over his words, the last 3 times I've seen him speak live on ITV News. He's always made weird faces while talking but I wonder if some kind of cognitive decline is happening.

3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

James Mates has been unable to finish a sentence without tripping over his words, the last 3 times I've seen him speak live on ITV News. He's always made weird faces while talking but I wonder if some kind of cognitive decline is happening.

He's tripping over every sentence? Or just occasionally?

7 minutes ago, Comped said:

He's tripping over every sentence? Or just occasionally?

Every sentence. He does get the words out eventually but reads the autocue like he's seeing each line for the first time and has no idea what it means. I know he otherwise knows how to deliver a piece to camera; he's been doing it for 35 years.

13 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Every sentence. He does get the words out eventually but reads the autocue like he's seeing each line for the first time and has no idea what it means. I know he otherwise knows how to deliver a piece to camera; he's been doing it for 35 years.

Might be an eyesight thing. 

Not necessarily in immediate danger, but blimey Jeremy Paxman has aged in a year since he quit University Challenge! Got a stick too, worth noting.

Astonished Paul Mayhew Archer is standing. Thought he was permanently wheelchaired.

On 19/03/2024 at 10:48, gcreptile said:

I'm conflicted hosting such a time-sensitive pool like the Cup but also giving notable deadpooling news that could affect the competition.

But I decided to post it, because I accidentally found it while looking for my ABC pool prospects (and also, I geniunely like to post the news, like I often do).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2024/03/09/amy-ettinger-hospice-cancer-inspiration/

She's also a DDP pick, and I am interested if she gets more than her WashPost coverage.

Dead.

https://lookout.co/newsletter/weekender-mourning-amy-ettinger-a-santa-cruz-high-shindig-and-feting-joe-ortiz/

1 hour ago, Funeralopolis said:

Dead.

On 15/03/2024 at 13:21, Ulitzer95 said:

Always state the name in your posts for the sake of the search function in the future. Don't just say "(s)he is dead"

• Like 3

On 19/03/2024 at 05:48, gcreptile said:

FTR don’t worry about Cup play, post what you need to post. It’s not like it’s the 30th, in which case I may have a different response.

Another former NI journalist, David Capper once pf the BBC, has died aged 91.

• Shocked 1

On 28/09/2022 at 15:16, gcreptile said:

US journalist Katie Couric has cancer. Which one? All of them...no, actually it's breast cancer. 

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/09/28/entertainment/katie-couric-breast-cancer/index.html

Katie Couric has become a granny: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13234853/Katie-Couric-grandmother-daughter-Ellie-gives-birth.html

No mention of any illness of hers.

Hella Pick, former Guardian UN correspondent (and sometime obit writer) reportedly dead aged 94 (via Xwitter)

Not selected in any deadpools as far as I can see...pity.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, time said:

Hella Pick, former Guardian UN correspondent (and sometime obit writer) reportedly dead aged 94 (via Xwitter)

A pity. She would have been a hella good pick.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, time said:

She should have been on deathlist just for the name.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Getting a Hella lot of obits from the Austrian press. Nothing in English yet though.

Take your Pick:

KurierPuls 24Salzburger NachrichtenK.at

I understand she was on Desert Island Discs at some point, so a Last Word obit is probably certain.

• Like 1