maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

What a complete shock. Per a Variety article, he was developing two new Pee-Wee projects at the time. TMZ says he was successfully able to have a brain tumor removed a few years ago, but wasn't sure what type of cancer caused his death. I liked how he spoke to himself referring to his death. Saw one of his movies and laughed at so many points. We're losing our comedy legends. R.I.P. Pee-Wee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jd24fan said:

What a complete shock. Per a Variety article, he was developing two new Pee-Wee projects at the time. TMZ says he was successfully able to have a brain tumor removed a few years ago, but wasn't sure what type of cancer caused his death. I liked how he spoke to himself referring to his death. Saw one of his movies and laughed at so many points. We're losing our comedy legends. R.I.P. Pee-Wee.

Yeah the great thing about his Pee-wee character was that kids loved it, of course, but there was enough innuendo in there to make it entertaining for adults as well.  

Todays secret word is Death 

If I could find it here, I'd drink some tequila....

This is poignant, watching this is in hindsight a bit like his farewell to all those boys and girls who also never grew up. Never grow up. Rest in peace  Pee Wee....

• Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 13:50, TQR said:

I wouldn't have thought he'll be in any danger imminently, but comedian & Chaser Paul Sinha has Parkinson's Disease

Was listening to an interview with him just now, and I quote "I don't know how much time I have left, it could be five years, it could be as much as 10." So it doesn't look like he's anticipating a Michael J. Fox decades-long decay.

• Sad 3

On 11/04/2022 at 10:46, Spade_Cooley said:

FQCaS0WWUAcE9zF?format=jpg&name=small

Recent photo of Shecky Green (L), Pat Cooper (M) and Pete Barbutti (R). Shecky still able to stand up at the age of 96 and Cooper, despite spending most of his life either having heart attacks or recovering from them, looking good for 92.

Recent photo of Shecky Greene, Barbutti, Nelson Sardelli and Jimmie Walker, taken 30th or 31st of July at "a celebration of what would've been Pat Cooper's 94th birthday":

img1.thumb.png.395a62423104f63efdd97c277ef11c48.png

Shecky is 97, has used drugs and alcohol for most of his life, sarcoma of the ribs, cancer, fall in his 90s, bipolar and depression, yet he looks better than nearly all of those others in that room.

• Like 1

Long-time Vegas fixture Geechy Guy dead at 59. I swear I've heard his name used by another comic as a kind of short-hand for a hack one-liner comedian, but I can't remember who. Maybe Norm?

• Sad 1

On 27/08/2023 at 16:34, arghton said:

Recent photo of Shecky Greene, Barbutti, Nelson Sardelli and Jimmie Walker, taken 30th or 31st of July at "a celebration of what would've been Pat Cooper's 94th birthday":

img1.thumb.png.395a62423104f63efdd97c277ef11c48.png

Shecky is 97, has used drugs and alcohol for most of his life, sarcoma of the ribs, cancer, fall in his 90s, bipolar and depression, yet he looks better than nearly all of those others in that room.

Pete Barbutti and Jimmie Walker were permanent panelists for the second set of tapings for the late 1980s game show 'The New Liars Club'. They were joined by actor & writer John Barbour (himself now 90 years old) and actress/model Shannon Tweed. The show is currently in repeat syndication in Canada.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Mike Yarwood dead at 82.

Aye, just seen it on the Beeb, that's a spare bedroom at Brinsworth House, then. 

Would anyone in the area spotting a new old face pushing a Zimmer frame tip us the name, thanks?

19 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Mike Yarwood dead at 82.

This isn't a surprise to me.

Somebody posted a photo on here of him with dear Dickie-O and he looked very much on the way out.

Very much of his time. Unmissable TV back in the day. RIP.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Summer in Transylvania said:

Mike Yarwood dead at 82.

I have absolutely no idea who he is and when I asked my mum she told me he was the Rory Bremner of the 70s, which doesn't particularly help as I have no idea who he is either.  

• Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I have absolutely no idea who he is and when I asked my mum she told me he was the Rory Bremner of the 70s, which doesn't particularly help as I have no idea who he is either.  

Jon Culshaw, perhaps? He was the Rory Bremner of the 00s. Or Luke Kempner, the Jon Culshaw of today? Fucked if I know anyone else. Mimics aren't as much of a thing nowadays.

1 minute ago, TQR said:

Jon Culshaw, perhaps? He was the Rory Bremner of the 00s. Or Luke Kempner, the Jon Culshaw of today? Fucked if I know anyone else. Mimics aren't as much of a thing nowadays.

Never heard of Luke Kempner is and I've only heard of Jon Culshaw for his work on Big Finish Doctor Who stuff. Bearing that in mind I'll have to guess that Yarwood is famous for his world renounced impressions of deceased Doctor Who cast members and leave it at that.

7 minutes ago, TQR said:

Who needs mimics when you can just make the real thing say whatever you want with deep fake technology? :rolleyes::(

8 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Never heard of Luke Kempner is and I've only heard of Jon Culshaw for his work on Big Finish Doctor Who stuff. Bearing that in mind I'll have to guess that Yarwood is famous for his world renounced impressions of deceased Doctor Who cast members and leave it at that.

Why not take the opportunity to find out more about Yarwood?

There were other impressionists back in the day, but none were as good as him. Though by today's standards, some of his stuff was a little ropey. Known for signing off with his catchphrase - "And this is me". A whole series of sketches, he was especially good at the political figures of the day - but that all died when Thatcher became PM.

Most of those he parodied are dead anyway.

I couldn't pick Paris Hilton or Katie Price out in a room full of them, never mind half the rap stars of today. But I'm willing to learn about them, god alone knows this is part of Forum learning! ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

He impersonated politicians on TV back when that never happened. He did an uncanny Ted Heath (he was the John Major of the 70s). 

Bremner was a popular satirist. His stuff was very topical so you sort of had to be there. Bremner Bird and Fortunes best bits were the live improv between John Bird and John Fortune satirising the world of politics in a Yes Minister (The Thick of It of the 80s) way which remains timely.

Jon Culshaw had an insanely popular impressionism satire sketch show called Dead Ringers which I loved. Lots of Dr Who jokes in it. (The Cybermen picking their Greatest Britain, and running for parliament for UKIP were hilarious) But the BBC axed it. He's still fairly busy but mostly on radio.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He was better than Rory Bremner.Best impressionist in British history.Bremner is a mere tribute act in comparison.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sean said:

He was better than Rory Bremner.Best impressionist in British history.Bremner is a mere tribute act in comparison.

Best thing Bremner did was introduce me to John Birds work. Now there was a comedy great.

I preferred Jonathan Watson to Bremner. That's very parochial but he was sillier and funnier imo and a really nice man in real life. Glad he's having a full career renaissance with Two Doors Down and he was in Dr Who recently too as a Sontaran Commander!

Christ you are going to give some of the fellow members a complex.

• Haha 1

I think Yarwoods greatest impression has to be of Deathlist graduate Denis Healey.He got his mannerisms and speaking style to an absolute tee.

3 minutes ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

I know who Ted Heath is, I've studied him in History.

Just lightly taking the piss. Liking the reminiscing you've triggered.

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Why not take the opportunity to find out more about Yarwood?

There were other impressionists back in the day, but none were as good as him. Though by today's standards, some of his stuff was a little ropey. Known for signing off with his catchphrase - "And this is me". A whole series of sketches, he was especially good at the political figures of the day - but that all died when Thatcher became PM.

Most of those he parodied are dead anyway.

I couldn't pick Paris Hilton or Katie Price out in a room full of them, never mind half the rap stars of today. But I'm willing to learn about them, god alone knows this is part of Forum learning! ;)

Worked a lot with former Dl forum fave Janet Brown iirc. 

• Like 3