maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

Stuart Henderson aka Stu Who, Scottish stand up reportedly dead: 

I saw Rhod Gilbert tonight, and prompted by one of our esteemed members on my Facebook friends list, herewith a report - he looks very thin and has a very raspy voice, he had loads of energy and did a couple of hours (with a break) of quite loud ranty comedy - he is still having 8-weekly check ups but did get to ring the cancer free bell, so looks good so far, but he did say that his type of cancer (head and neck) has a higher chance of recurring than some other cancers. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Martin Mull dead at 80.

• Like 7
  • Sad 10
  • Shocked 2

On 03/09/2006 at 05:53, maryportfuncity said:

The Comedians was massive once over but it's strange that IMBD - normally a mecca for anorak who know their facts - doesn't post a birthdate for half the performers. Has anyone around the UK noticed the likes of Charlie Daze playing a local club? How many of this lot are still alive? Some of them will be well into their seventies now, late nights, loadsa fags and drink, stressful job. We could have us some future winners here.

https://x.com/SportcastJersey/status/1816842338481615052

Charlie Daze, dead at 86.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, ajlposh said:

Mitzi McCall, of McCall and Brill fame, has died

Charlie Brill and she were married for over 64 years.

• Like 2

Peter Vincent, writer for the Two Ronnies, Dave Allen & more, died 2nd July, aged 91.

• Like 1

New season of Taskmaster New Zealand has started, and one of the contestants, Tofiga Fepulea'i, isn't in any of the studio recordings due to an "illness". Just the flu and a quick filming turnaround, or those shit-tier Samoan genetics?

58 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

New season of Taskmaster New Zealand has started, and one of the contestants, Tofiga Fepulea'i, isn't in any of the studio recordings due to an "illness". Just the flu and a quick filming turnaround, or those shit-tier Samoan genetics?

Would not surprise me if it was a quick filming turnaround. These sorts of shows aren't expensive to make (and part of that is using c-list celebs as contestants), so I'd expect filming to be done in a rather qiuck time frame.

Perry Kurtz, a comedian best known for appearing on America's Got Talent, has been killed in a hit-and-run accident. 

Kurtz was 73 years old, and an 18 year old suspect has been arrested. 

Anyone need a Jay Leno update while being facinated by his car collection?

On 14/06/2019 at 13:50, TQR said:

I wouldn't have thought he'll be in any danger imminently, but comedian & Chaser Paul Sinha has Parkinson's Disease

Paul Sinha reveals he had two small heart attacks last year during the Edinburgh fringe; adopting a 'show must go on' attitude caused further problems such that he required bypass surgery (but now feels fighting fit).

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

3 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Anyone need a Jay Leno update while being facinated by his car collection?

If he can avoid accidents, he ought to be fine for a long while...

Gareth Ellis, one half of the comedy duo Ellis & Rose, died in May age 34 but his passing has only been made public now. Perhaps most notable for putting on an Edinburgh Fringe show in 2013 called Jimmy Savile: The Punch and Judy Show, one of the worst-reviewed shows in Fringe history (sample review line: "It’s an insult to every comic who’s poured their heart and soul into their Edinburgh show that this atrocity shares space in the same programme.")

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Gareth Ellis, one half of the comedy duo Ellis & Rose, died in May age 34 but his passing has only been made public now. Perhaps most notable for putting on an Edinburgh Fringe show in 2013 called Jimmy Savile: The Punch and Judy Show, one of the worst-reviewed shows in Fringe history (sample review line: "It’s an insult to every comic who’s poured their heart and soul into their Edinburgh show that this atrocity shares space in the same programme.")

Surely someone must have videoed this piece of art for posterity, but I can’t find hide nor hair. That might be the longest obituary in history… yet leaves us none the wiser on the manner of Mr Ellis’s demise. I’m sure him and Rose can’t have been as bad as Hale & Pace, though the clip I saw wasn’t that promising.

26 minutes ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

Surely someone must have videoed this piece of art for posterity, but I can’t find hide nor hair. That might be the longest obituary in history… yet leaves us none the wiser on the manner of Mr Ellis’s demise. I’m sure him and Rose can’t have been as bad as Hale & Pace, though the clip I saw wasn’t that promising.

Done himself in. Probably.

Christian stand-up comedian Steve Legg dead at 57. Thought I'd listed him in the Salvage Lot for 2024, as he was a late drop for me this year based on QO doubts, but maybe I thought he could ride it out until 2025 and make a decision then?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Christian stand-up comedian Steve Legg dead at 57. Thought I'd listed him in the Salvage Lot for 2024, as he was a late drop for me this year based on QO doubts, but maybe I thought he could ride it out until 2025 and make a decision then?

He was a lock on my DDP 2025 team for some while after seeing his name alongside Allan Finnegan in one of those podcasts about God and cancer.

Finnegans treatment seems to have bought him some time, he's not the lock for 2025 he originally seemed.to be.

Legg seemed like a good guy, sorry to hear this.