maryportfuncity

Comedians & Comedy Writers

I'm going to be controversial and say I've never seen a better impressionist than Alistair McGowan.

So there. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, YoungWillz said:

I'm going to be controversial and say I've never seen a better impressionist than Alistair McGowan.

Wasn't a fan of the impressions on Spitting Image. Found them very wooden.

Couldn't resist, I've got me coat!

• Haha 2

Mike Yarwood was a huge star in his day but was on the way out when I was growing up. Thatcher getting in in '79 was the end for him.

• Like 3

I was shocked to find that this topic was trending and dismayed when I found out that my absolute devastation from the passing of Geechy Guy was not shared among the forum...

• Confused 1

56 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

McGowan to be fair is the only impressionist you can legitimately compare with Mike Yarwood.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banana said:

I was shocked to find that this topic was trending and dismayed when I found out that my absolute devastation from the passing of Geechy Guy was not shared among the forum...

WhOOOOOooooOoOoOoooOOOOOoooOoooOoOoOooooOoOoOoOoooooOOOOO????????

Impressionists are the second worst form of comedy.  Not a single one is funny.  Geechie Guy sucked.  I feel sorry for anyone who found him entertaining.  Or Rich Little, or any of that lot.
I suppose you’re wondering what the lowest form of comedy is. Maybe when one dies I’ll let you know.

Damn I had Yarwood on my list a couple of years ago, but dropped him as I thought he'd go on for years in that home for showbiz people.

There are a lot of decent impressionists around. Coogan and Brydon of course. Conor moore does excellent impressions of sports people on youtube.

I actually saw Mike Yarwood on stage in Summer season at Blackpool in 1980. Supported by the Nolan Sisters. 

Impressionists have a difficult job not only do they need to do an accurate impression they need to find something funny to do with it.

• Like 4

Mike Yarwood was a real household name in the Seventies but time left him behind. When I saw the news I was actually surprised, I thought he'd died quietly years ago. It's surprising again to realise that he was still only in his forties when his career was pretty well over.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

Mike Yarwood was a real household name in the Seventies but time left him behind. When I saw the news I was actually surprised, I thought he'd died quietly years ago. It's surprising again to realise that he was still only in his forties when his career was pretty well over.

Comedians with TV name recognition would be in demand to fill Panto season at regional theatres and summer seasons at coastal resorts. The TV gave them leverage but just because they are not o  it doesn't mean they aren't working

• Like 1

Time may have left Yarwood behind but he developed quite severe mental health issues in the 1980s which left him unable to work for long periods and led eventually to his early retirement. Perhaps without that he might have had a renaissance at some point, he was certainly popular enough with the BBC and fellow comics, and they certainly tried to support him even into this century with hopes of a major comeback. But iirc he even turned down a guest spot on something like QI as his health wasn't up to it.

• Like 2

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I was thinking of the major stars who had their own eponymous shows in the '70s. All bar one that I could think of are now dead.

Morecambe & Wise; The Two Ronnies, Bruce Forsyth, Cilla Black, Dave Allen and now Mike Yarwood.

Still alive - yep, Stanley Baxter!!!!!!!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Especially his double act with Ronni Ancona.  Plenty here to amuse, although not all will travel well as they're based on UK TV and personalities.

https://www.youtube.com/@RonniAnconaAlistairMcGowan

She does a brilliant Nigella

7 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Impressionists are the second worst form of comedy.  Not a single one is funny. 

That depends on the script.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slackhurst Broadcasting said:

It's surprising again to realise that he was still only in his forties when his career was pretty well over.

Considering he was born in 1941 his career was pretty much over before he turned 40.

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

As I drifted off to sleep last night, I was thinking of the major stars who had their own eponymous shows in the '70s. All bar one that I could think of are now dead.

Morecambe & Wise; The Two Ronnies, Bruce Forsyth, Cilla Black, Dave Allen and now Mike Yarwood.

We're doing quite well on the American side of things.

Dick Van Dyke, Carol Burnett, Bill Cosby and Bob Newhart are all still alive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Cliff Richard and Lulu had their own Saturday night shows, and they're still with us.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JQW said:

Cliff Richard and Lulu had their own Saturday night shows, and they're still with us.

I'd have said Lulu wasn't a major star - sorry wee Marie from the Gorbals.

I have no recollection of Cliff having an eponymous show. Ever. It is possible that I may have received hypnosis to blank out any memory of it though. Very possible.

16 hours ago, JQW said:

As are Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, time said:

As are Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey.

In my defence on the above, I would have been far too young to remember This Is Tom Jones.

Shirley - again I don't remember at all. I see she had two seasons only, separated by a whole year or more.

Anyway, on the laws of averages and Forum posts leading to an expedited death, they'll all be dead within a year! :lol:

On 09/09/2023 at 11:22, YoungWillz said:

Sid Little is still alive but I always considered Little and Large a cut price Two Ronnies. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Sid Little is still alive but I always considered Little and Large a cut price Two Ronnies. 

And Tommy Cannon. Only just though.

How did I not recall the late great Dick Emery?

Only gave the names I remembered late at night on my way to dreamland. 

Kill them all!

At least Tommy Cannon and Syd Little can sleep well at night knowing they at least weren't Hale and Pace.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2