The Four Horsemen

Cricket Thread. Only Mad Dogs And Englishmen

33 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Steve Bing, Shane Warne: are we seeing the curse of rawdogging Liz Hurley?

Hugh Grant needs to watch himself…..

14 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

In shock.

Most fun bowler to watch of my lifetime even when he was bowling at the England team and looked like he loved it too.

Those Aussie news segments nicely prepped up for 5 mins of Rod Marsh obit coverage are going to have to edit it down to about 30 seconds.

'.....oh and Rod Marsh died too earlier today.'

Shane’s last tweet, just a few hours before he died, was a tribute to Marsh.

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

He’s currently number 4 on Twitter for me, which given how people in the United States don’t really know what cricket is really shows how big of a name he was

• Like 2

Poor  Aussies first Neighbours then Rodney Marsh and now this!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

I think I know what caused the heart attack depending if he used less than healthy methods to lose weight or overexerted himself.

I'm not from a cricket nation but Warne was one player I knew. Somewhere in the nineties I was ill for a couple of weeks and test cricket was still shown on the BBC which we could receive during favourish atmospheric circumstances. That's when Iearned the rules of cricket. Warne was one of the stars. Dead at 52, he was a month younger than I am.

Ashes to ashes....

1 hour ago, Charlotte's Controller said:

Marsh and Warne were always good to watch, their status as legendary as Botham, Thompson and Lillie.

:unsure:  I take it you're referring to that legendary duo Denis Lilley and Geoff Thompson?

Just seen this, actually. In utter shock. Warne had fitness problems a few years ago but after meeting Liz he lost a lot of weight and really got his act together. Wonder if he'd relapsed into bad habits in the last couple of years. Still, 52 is no age at all. 

1 hour ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

One wicket brings two, as they say.

And these things have a habit of coming in threes. Who from the world of Australian cricket will be next? Lillee, Tommo, the Chappells, Border? 

Crazy to think Neil Harvey who made his Test debut in the 1940s has outlived Shane Warne who was arguably the biggest cricketer of the first decade of the 21st century. The Reaper moves in mysterious ways. 

RIP, Warnie - very sad you've left us. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Numb, gutted, words can't describe my English jaw that dropped when I heared the news. RIP Australia legend.

• Sad 1

There will be a lot of shocked Aussies as they wake up to this news this morning.  I watch a lot of cricket and I'm only a year or so younger than Warne, so I remember watching all those big moments...the Gatting ball, the MCG hat trick.  Big fan of his cricket, maybe not so much the man himself.  While he possessed a fantastic cricket brain he was also one of the worst commentators.  Haven't felt a celebrity death like this for a while.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dr_T said:

There will be a lot of shocked Aussies as they wake up to this news this morning.  I watch a lot of cricket and I'm only a year or so younger than Warne, so I remember watching all those big moments...the Gatting ball, the MCG hat trick.  Big fan of his cricket, maybe not so much the man himself.  While he possessed a fantastic cricket brain he was also one of the worst commentators.  Haven't felt a celebrity death like this for a while.

Like Botham, he was a 'name' rather than a commentator. The best such as Mark Nicholas are often the ones who were not the best players although the really top notch ones were non-players such as Arlott and Johnson. Henry Blofeld was too fond of deviating away from the cricket.

Crazy about Warne when John Manners who played first class cricket before WW2 died in March 2020 (just before the pandemic) aged 105 and lived to double Warne's age. I predict sleezesheets will follow up Warne's lifestyle & why he was in Thailand.

Also pretty weird when you consider the miracle ball that Dickie Bird has outlived Warne. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, The Watcher said:

Crazy about Warne when John Manners who played first class cricket before WW2 died in March 2020 (just before the pandemic) aged 105 and lived to double Warne's age. I predict sleezesheets will follow up Warne's lifestyle & why he was in Thailand.

I doubt that anyone would be surprised that he was balls deep when he met his end.

• Shocked 1

Wow the first big shock death of the year (unless I'm missing anyone). Remember watching him during the ashes, a great player.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Dr_T said:

I doubt that anyone would be surprised that he was balls deep when he met his end.

Sorry meant if.  My bad.

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

He’s currently number 4 on Twitter for me, which given how people in the United States don’t really know what cricket is really shows how big of a name he was

I even recall seeing his name before. Wouldn't be able to say what sport he played but still speaks volumes when I've heard of a cricketer outside the forum!

1 hour ago, Grim Up North said:

BB0FD437-759B-4F7E-A216-8FB3EF717D59.jpeg

Why the fuck don't people take the paper wrappings off? 

17 hours ago, the_engineer said:

Wow the first big shock death of the year (unless I'm missing anyone). Remember watching him during the ashes, a great player.

What impresses me watching that again is Ian Healy's perfect position. The ball was clearly drifting down leg and most keepers would have followed it - but Heals was perfectly placed to take a catch or stumping if he'd needed to. Very impressive.  

• Like 2

Dennis Lillee speaking at Rod Marsh's funeral. Looks okayish. 

images.jpeg-7.jpg

• Like 1