Spade_Cooley

The 100 Club

What was the question?

Will you live for another day?

She wasn't able to answer.

• Like 2

John S. Wold, an American politician who represented Wyoming in the House of Representatives (1969-1971), has died aged 100. He was the oldest living member (current or former) of the House of Representatives.

I wasn't surprised much about Svend Asmussen. You know though, he had such a long career with his violin and the jazz he brought with it. Starting to perform as a mere child back in the 1920s and continued to until 2010, when he had one of those nasty blood clots..

Quick round up:

George E. Bria, American journalist for the AP who spent the early part of his career covering the Italian Campaign of World War II and flashed word of the German surrender in Italy, after which he went on to become a chief UN correspondent, a key news editor, and a gardening columnist, died on 18th March aged 101.  

George Braziller, American literary publisher and founder of George Braziller, Inc., known for its publication of literary and artistic books, as well as foreign authors, died on March 16th aged 101. His firm published works of literary legends including Nobel Prize in Literature winners Jean-Paul Sartre, Orhan Pamuk, and Cluade Simon.

John Crutcher, American politician and member of the Kansas State Senate from 1953 to 1957, as well as Lieutenant Governor of Kansas from 1965 to 1969, died on March 13th, aged 100.

Monsignor Vincent Foy, Canadian Roman Catholic cleric and theologian, died on March 13th aged 101. He was the longest serving priest in the Toronto Archdiocese, and consistently wrote about the evils of artificial contraception. At the time of his death, he was the second-longest serving diocesan priest in Canadian history.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 04:16, YoungWillz said:

Well, much as I don't believe it, Telegraph Obit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2017/03/27/alice-ludes-singer-bing-crosbys-music-maids-obituary/

Mary Anderson, a climbing enthusiast who helped start the outdoor retailer REI that has become the nation’s largest consumer-owned retail cooperative, died March 27. She was 107.

Her death was confirmed by REI.  No other details were immediately available.

SC

• Like 1

Sivakumari is one of the real oddities super centenarian who has a shot at q/o in most pools on merit alone. Respect to the man

• Like 1

On the topic of recent centenarian birthdays, one of my on-site deadpooling regulars, communist spy Morton Sobell, hit the grand three digits yesterday. Not on any DDP teams this year but his ties to the Rosenbergs guarantee an obit so he'd be a worthy recruit for any 2018 centenarian theme teams should he make it that far.

on my wikia site, century of life, i said if Kirk Douglas and Vera Lynn reached 100, i'd make pages for them. They did, so I did. Can you think of anyone who turns 100 in 2018? seems the only 1918 births i knew about have all died

26 minutes ago, MDavidSteel said:

on my wikia site, century of life, i said if Kirk Douglas and Vera Lynn reached 100, i'd make pages for them. They did, so I did. Can you think of anyone who turns 100 in 2018? seems the only 1918 births i knew about have all died

Billy Graham

Katherine Johnson

Hutton Gibson

Diana Serra Carey

Fay Mckenzie

Konstantinos Mitsotakis

Yasuhirio Nakasone

Derek Barber

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MDavidSteel said:

Off the top of my head, Billy Graham if he makes it far.

Happy Birthday and Welcome Danielle Darrieux in the 100 Club :birthday:

She was the most notable French actress beside Michele Morgan in the 50s. Now she is the oldest living actress, still active after 85 years of career.  :party:

• Like 4

The BBC got such a positive reaction to a news feature on William Frankland that they'll be doing a few more. 105 and still working and publishing academic papers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/105-year-old-doctor-william-frankland-pow-camp-second-world-war-saddam-hussein-treat-a7660611.html

• Like 1