Grim Reaper

Joost Van Der Westhuizen

Well, Joost outlives his coach!

Former South Africa soccer coaching legend Ted Dumitru, 76, is dead. It was announced on Thursday afternoon that the former Orlando Pirates, Kaizer Chiefs, Mamelodi Sundowns and Bafana Bafana mentor died due to a heart attack after collapsing at Eastgate shopping mall in Johannesburg in the early hours of Thursday, 26 May 2016. He was also the former coach of the South Africa national football team.

(Oh I don't care about accuracy, it's a fucking joke)

SC

http://amonpoint.com/2016/05/27/former-south-africa-coach-ted-dumitru-dies-collapsing-due-heart-attack/

Black african people die every second, due to poor water and not enough foreign aid, and it never makes the news.....

Black african people die every second, due to poor water and not enough foreign aid, and it never makes the news.....

Nowt to do with dictators nicking the money then?

• Like 2

quite cat let the black man preach you racist.

Are you calling me racist?

yes

yes

image.jpg
  • Like 4

I do note you have learned to spell the word racist.

• Like 1

Fun fact: An anagram of racist is Sir Cat.

• Like 2

He's still alive. Joost, that is. Though looking for updates on him did bring up the strange tale of van der Westhuizen's lawyer. He's dead, the lawyer, and it turns out he was murdered. Anyhow, the courts have denied van der Westhuizen access to his own money "invested" by the dead man, despite claiming it is needed for his death. (Funeral savings?)

Behind a Afrikaans paywall, apparently Joost vdW can only move his eyes now. He was well enough to give weak interviews about this time last year. [Which also suggests the experimental medicine they tried on him in January hasn't worked, I'd guess.]

He's in stoppage time.

Update on the above: Judge ruled Joost can get his money back. Company appealed that, but have lost.

He's still alive. Joost, that is. Though looking for updates on him did bring up the strange tale of van der Westhuizen's lawyer. He's dead, the lawyer, and it turns out he was murdered. Anyhow, the courts have denied van der Westhuizen access to his own money "invested" by the dead man, despite claiming it is needed for his death. (Funeral savings?)

He claimed that he needed the money for his treatment rather than the funeral. So even if the drugs didn't stop the progression of his motor neuron disease, they might still slow it down enough to win him a few months.

This case is also interesting from a legal perspective. Trusting his lawyer enough to give him money to invest without a proper formal contract was a really dumb decision. I can't imagine why someone would trust their lawyer over family and friends.

He claimed that he needed the money for his treatment rather than the funeral. So even if the drugs didn't stop the progression of his motor neuron disease, they might still slow it down enough to win him a few months.

This case is also interesting from a legal perspective. Trusting his lawyer enough to give him money to invest without a proper formal contract was a really dumb decision. I can't imagine why someone would trust their lawyer over family and friends.

I doubt if funeral costs would be classified as "urgent". I can't speak for SA, but in my experience UK funeral directors don't expect their bills to be paid promptly. Quite often the funds come from the deceased's estate, which can mean waiting for probate.

Trusting his lawyer enough to give him money to invest without a proper formal contract was a really dumb decision. I can't imagine why someone would trust their lawyer over family and friends.

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You must be third from the left on the evolutionary chart if you 'can't imagine why' a person would trust their lawyer over family. I'm going to let you rethink that blithering statement, and maybe whilst your at it you can work on this conundrum: why would anyone make a Last Will & Testament?

Egad.

SC

Trusting his lawyer enough to give him money to invest without a proper formal contract was a really dumb decision. I can't imagine why someone would trust their lawyer over family and friends.
This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. You must be third from the left on the evolutionary chart if you 'can't imagine why' a person would trust their lawyer over family. I'm going to let you rethink that blithering statement, and maybe whilst your at it you can work on this conundrum: why would anyone make a Last Will & Testament?

Egad.

SC

A Last Will & Testament is a proper, enforceable legal document. If he had just made his lawyer write and sign a formal contract, getting his money back would've been so much easier.

I still stand by my previous opinion, according to which the only scenario where I'd lend money to anyone without a formal contract would involve close family members or friends that I blindly trust. Of course, if I had many estranged relatives, I could contract a law firm and sign a last will just to make sure they don't inherit anything (but not without twice reading the document drafted by the lawyers).

Also, the Anglo-Saxon legal culture might be a bit different from the Eastern European that I'm much more familiar with. Here we have too many lawyers compared to the size of the national market, so some of them specialize in shady (or sham) deals, like assisting people in founding and bankrupting 20 different companies in a year or tricking old people into effectively selling their property well under the fair market price (on a false promise that it'd be leased back to them "for free").

Hopefully he is not this years Fergie Fredriksen

No idea, never heard him sing.

• Like 4

He can`t even talk now so I can`t see him pulling off a tour.Joost that is although it could for Fergie too.

I picked him because his ex-wife says he's getting frailer each time she sees him. Sometimes the ALS people just seem to stop declining. And while they are in terrible health, they do not die, see: Jason Becker. Let's see.

Suspect very few have heard either of them sing

• Like 1

I picked him because his ex-wife says he's getting frailer each time she sees him. Sometimes the ALS people just seem to stop declining. And while they are in terrible health, they do not die, see: Jason Becker. Let's see.

That was one factor, yeah. And he can no longer travel very far iirc. Though it was mainly him entering the Borgonovo ballpark of time spent with ALS that made me pick him. Even without the Drop 40 bonus, he's reached the point where I consider it a greater risk to omit him than to include him, though both choices can be considered punts.

Also, last I saw, he hadn't got that money yet to buy his "life or death medicine" that the court case was about.

http://www.you.co.za/news/amor-vittone-rushed-to-hospital-after-freak-accident-at-sons-birthday-party/

Ex wife rushed to hospital after falling off a trampoline

There is a picture of him that was taken in December, still able to breath on his own.

His missus thou

Not anymore...on oxygen now...

It seems it's in his final days. I was wrong when I did not put him in my DDP team.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/2017/01/20/Frail-Joost-van-der-Westhuizen-on-oxygen-reports

This is gonna be a great year for the official Deathlist.

Bah. I knew I should've jokered him cause he was worth more than Mark Sims or Ben Suisala, but considered him too risky. Oh well.