Dead Wait

Ideas And Possibilities For 2016

We (in good ole 'Murica) haven't really had any young celebrities died this year so far, so Lamar Odom fits the bill of this year's dead young big time celebrity. Well, I suppose you can sorta count Beau Biden (vice President Joe Biden's son), but Lamar Odom will fit the bill as this year's big-time celebrity to have died young of a drug overdose. Each year, we've had at least one (and in many cases, multiple celebrities) die of drug overdoses so Lamar needs to fill in this year's quota!

2007: Anna Nicole Smith

2008: Heath Ledger, Brad Renfro

2009: Michael Jackson, Brittany Murphy

2010: Corey Haim. Gary Coleman

2011: Amy Winehouse

2012: Whitney Houston

2013: Cory Monteith

2014: Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Williams (he died of suicide, but has had major drug problems in the past)

Well, I guess you could count Bobbi Kristina for 2015 if you counted Robin Williams.

Long time lurker here, finally decided to create an account! How sad am I? Anyway...

I've taken some time to compile my idea of what the ideal DeathList 2016 would look like. I've looked through threads, searching for ideas, and have also used many of my own ideas to create this list. I was initially going to wait until December before posting this, but I thought I'd just post it now. I'm assuming that those making up the final list will be looking at this thread for ideas - obviously!

I'm also aware that some of these names will probably die in the next two and a half months. That's why I've included many backup names, other ideas and possibilities.

When making up this list, one dilemma that I've encountered is this: is it better to have someone on the list who is relatively less likely to die, but is more of a famous person? Do 'big name' or 'household name' people get priority over those who are not as prominent, but are perhaps older or more likely to die soon? Is this because it increases the likelihood of a UK obituary? It's a difficult question, and I've never seen that much discussion of it on here. Maybe I'm thinking too much about it and taking it a bit TOO seriously - or have others had similar thoughts?

Is Ronnie Corbett more worthy of the list than Jacque Fresco? Is Gorbachev more worthy than Zhou Youguang? These are very difficult questions to answer. In most cases, it seems like the DeathList has tended (but not always) to go for the bigger names. Whilst the majority of people of any particular widespread significance do get an obituary, it can't always be guaranteed in lesser cases. I may be shooting myself in the foot by saying this, as I've included a few relatively more obscure picks on my version of the list.

If a Wikipedia article exists for a person, that does not necessarily mean that they are going to get a UK obituary. However if a person is both very old AND presumed to be UK-obitable, they should be on the list without question - IMHO, Sir Nicholas Winton was the stupidest DeathList miss of all time. He should have been #1 on the 2015 list, ahead of even Zsa Zsa.

A good rule of thumb that I use is that the more languages that a person's Wikipedia article is available in (look at the bottom left hand corner of the page) the greater their international fame and relevance is likely to be, and that would make them more readily UK-obitable. However if the person is actually from the UK, having few or no versions of their Wikipedia article in other languages does not imply the person would not be UK-obitable as it probably would for a non-UK person. For example, Jeremy Kyle is a very famous person within the UK but his Wikipedia article appears in only two truly foreign languages.

Keep:

Gabor
Havelange
Wouk
Graham
de Haviland

de Cuellar
Bush Sr
Prince Philip
Schmidt
Castro

Douglas
James
Molinaro
Crowe
Adulyadej

Kohl
van der Westhuizen
Day
Kissinger
Lamotta

Reagan
Mubarak
Mugabe
Berry
Lynn

Add:

Jimmy Carter (b. 1924) - US President - cancer - but he'll be picked anyway for sure
Howard Marks (b. 1945) - author and drug activist - cancer - but he'll be picked anyway for sure
John Wetton (b. 1949) - progressive rock musician - metastatic cancer, with a history of alcoholism, heart surgery, diabetes, etc
Jimmy Hill (b. 1928) - football manager - age, Alzheimer's, in a nursing home
Alistair Urquhart (b. 1919) - author and war veteran - highly advanced age - 97 in 2016

Greville Janner (b. 1928) - politician - age, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, stress of being put on trial
Clive Derby-Lewis (b. 1936) - South African political figure - has what looks like terminal cancer, also advancing age - not 100% sure about UK obit on this one though
King Michael of Romania (b. 1921) - pretender to the Romanian throne and one of the last heads of state from WWII - age - 95 in 2016
Jacque Fresco (b. 1916) - futurist and social engineer - highly advanced age - 100 in 2016
George Gaynes (b. 1917) - actor - highly advanced age - 99 in 2016

David Rockefeller (b. 1915) - banker - highly advanced age - 101 in 2016
Muhammad Ali (b. 1942) - boxer - Parkinson's
Dick Van Dyke (b. 1925) - actor - age
Fats Domino (b. 1928) - musician - age
Hugh Hefner (b. 1926) - Playboy founder - age

Jean Raspail (b. 1925) - French author - age
Gudrun Ure (b. 1926) - actress - age
Abe Vigoda (b. 1921) - actor - age
Charles Aznavour (b. 1924) - singer - age
Stephen Hawking (b. 1942) - scientist - should be obvious

Boutros Boutros-Ghali (b. 1922) - UN secretary general - age
Mikhail Gorbachev (b. 1931) - last Soviet leader - age
Stan Lee (b. 1922) - comics artist - age
Pierre Cardin (b. 1922) - fashion designer - age
Benedict XVI (b. 1928) - Pope - age, health

Other ideas and possibilities:

Raymond Smullyan (b. 1919) - mathematician, UK obit questionable
Oscar Brand (b. 1920) - singer, UK obit questionable
Rolf Harris (b. 1930) - maybe not at death's door just yet, but one to watch, can't last forever in prison
Bruce Forsyth (b. 1928) - health scares this year, maybe not as immortal as people think he is
Josef Fritzl (b. 1935) - can't last forever in prison and the world despises him

Dennis Nilsen (b. 1945) - can't last forever in prison
Gary Glitter (b. 1944) - can't last forever in prison and the world despises him
Anders Breivik (b. 1979) - yes, he is a young man, but the world despises him and he has been on hunger strike in prison
Ian Watkins (b. 1977) - yes, he is a young man, but the world despises him and suicide in prison is a possibility
Ian Huntley (b. 1974) - yes, relatively young, but the world despises him, suicide in prison is a possibility

Leonard Cohen (b. 1934) - not at death's door just yet, released new album in 2014, but age is surely creeping up on him
Billy Connolly (b. 1942) - had prostate cancer a few years ago, and also has Parkinson's - worth watching
Ron Jeremy (b. 1953) - health
Manuel Noriega (b. 1934) - age, health
Prunella Scales (b. 1932) - age, Alzheimer's

Robbie Coltrane (b. 1950) - overweight, Scottish and in his mid-60s - heart attack or stroke waiting to happen
Desmond Tutu (b. 1931) - age
Burt Kwouk (b. 1930) - age
Burt Bacharach (b. 1928) - age
Sidney Poitier (b. 1927) - age

Paul Gascoigne (b. 1967) - alcoholism, mental illness, in a grim situation
Gene Wilder (b. 1933) - age
Buzz Aldrin (b. 1930) - age
Jean-Marie Le Pen (b. 1928) - age
Egidius Braun (b. 1925) - age, UK obit questionable

George Martin (b. 1926) - age
Brian Blessed (b. 1936) - age, big and burly build
Joe Jackson (b. 1954) - health issues, strokes and heart attacks, smoker, had pacemaker fitted
Louis Farrakhan (b. 1933) - age, health
Zhou Youguang (b. 1906) - EXTREMELY advanced age, one of the world's oldest men AND notable for other reasons - only problem is UK obit is questionable, although certainly possible - one to include for sure if there's a consensus that a UK obit would be likely

E. O. Wilson (b. 1929) - age
Richard Lynn (b. 1930) - age, but not a highly prominent figure except in the field of promoting scientific racism
Udo Walendy (b. 1927) - age, UK obit questionable
Noam Chomsky (b. 1928) - age
Douglas Slocombe (b. 1913) - highly advanced age, but not a highly prominent figure

Mikis Theodorakis (b. 1925) - age
Mary Tyler Moore (b. 1936) - health, advancing age
Glen Campbell (b. 1936) - health, advancing age
Sean Connery (b. 1930) - age, not at death's door just yet but definitely worth watching
Timothy-Dudley Smith (b. 1926) age, but not a highly prominent figure

William Shatner (b. 1931) - age
Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926) - will be around for a while yet, and she won't die before her husband, but age is definitely catching up with her
Charles Manson (b. 1934) - age, can't last forever in prison
Ronnie Corbett (b. 1930) - age
Peter Tobin (b. 1946) - health, can't last forever in prison, the world despises him

Ian Brady (b. 1938) - health, can't last forever in prison, the world despises him
Harry Rabinowitz (b. 1916) - very old, but not a highly prominent figure
Joni Mitchell (b. 1943) - health
Michael Schumacher (b. 1969) - health following his accident
Burt Reynolds (b. 1936) - health

Nicholas Parsons (b. 1923) - age
Jerry Lewis (b. 1926) - age
Dalai Lama (b. 1935) - advancing age
Damo Suzuki (b. 1950) - was ill recently, not sure exactly what was wrong with him, but worth watching
Morrissey (b. 1959) - supposedly had cancer, but exact details are unclear, and has collapsed on stage a few times and been hospitalized in recent years

Bill Wyman (b. 1936) - smoker for most of his life, advancing age
Keith Richards (b. 1943) - lived the rock and roll lifestyle his whole life and still standing
Ennio Morricone (b. 1928) - age
Tony Bennett (b. 1926) - age
Rupert Murdoch (b. 1931) - age

Bob Dylan (b. 1941) - not quite knocking on heaven's door yet, but worth watching
Mohamed Morsi (b. 1951) - sentenced to death, also appears to be overweight
Leslie Ash (b. 1960) - health
Ed Asner (b. 1929) - age
Ozzy Osbourne (b. 1948) - not dying yet, but worth watching

Roman Polanski (b. 1933) - age, criminal trial a few years ago
Phil Spector (b. 1939) - getting older, also in jail
Jacques Chirac (b. 1932) - age
Macaulay Culkin (b. 1980) - rumours of drug addiction
Clint Eastwood (b. 1930) - age

Kurt Westergaard (b. 1935) - age, hate figure for Islamists
Arvo Pärt (b. 1935) - age
Mohammed Enwazi (b. 1988) - one of the world's most wanted men due to his beheading videos with ISIS
John Cantlie (b. 1970) - high risk of being killed similar to previous ISIS hostages
Bernie Madoff (b. 1938) - getting older, imprisoned, health problems

David Attenborough (b. 1926) - age
Irwin Corey (b. 1914) - extremely advanced age, UK obit questionable
Mel Brooks (b. 1926) - age
Desmond Morris (b. 1928) - age
Roger Moore (b. 1927) - age

Additional 2015 names that can't be used for 2016 due to limit of 25 names from previous list:

Harper
O'Hara
Philips
Kercheval
Lee

Dole
Sallis
Norden
Michelmore
Smith

Adams
Roberts
Large
Maynard

Final note:

If you only include a few of my suggestions, I think John Wetton, Alistair Urquhart, Jacque Fresco, Greville Janner and Michael of Romania would be five of the best picks

If you want to include more, Jimmy Hill, Boutros Boutros-Ghali, George Gaynes, Clive Derby-Lewis and Stan Lee would take it up to ten

I hope these ideas will be taken into consideration. Thanks

• Like 4

Welcome!

Of your list, the following are the most likely to show up on future Deathlists, I'd think: Carter, Marks, Jimmy Hill, Gorbachev, the former Pope. Maybe not 2016 in the latter two cases, but they are the types of people the committee seem to like. You know, the sort of person who might get a BBC Breaking News tweet when they die.

Ali, Vigoda, Van Dyke, Domino, Aznavour, Hawking, Stan Lee, Cardin, Noriega, Asner, Brooks, Tutu, Osbourne, Parsons, Bennett, Lewis, Connery, Queen Elizabeth, Brady have all been on the Deathlist in the past and so could make a return. Some of them feel more like than others (Tutu with his cancer for example), and I have a sneaking suspicion Sean Connery might make a George Cole like return from a long absence soon.

Urquhart, King Michael, Fresco, Rockefeller, Raspail, Smullyan, Brand, Fritzl, Youguang, Wilson are all names unlikely to be considered. They don't tend to go for the older vaguely famous in the UK people. They'll be DDP picks. I'd say Clive Derby-Lewis is unlikely too, given his name has been in deadpooling circles for a number of years, and they haven't gone for him yet.

Janner, Gaynes, Ure, Boutros-Ghali, Hefner, Harris, Forsyth, Glitter, Connolly, Cohen, Scales, Kwouk, Bacharach, Coltrane, Poitier, Wilder, Aldrin, Blessed, Glen Campbell, Mary Tyler Moore, Shatner, Manson, Corbett, Tobin, Mitchell, Reynolds, the Dalai Lama, Keith Richards, Morricone, Murdoch, Dylan, Polanski, Chirac, Eastwood, Attenborough and Roger Moore are all names I could see appearing on the Deathlist one day.

Douglas Slocombe normally wouldn't, but he might sneak on next year in one of their outlier picks from time to time.

Of the suggestion folk to drop, Sallis and Philips would be bad losses, and seem in much weaker health.

• Like 2

Welcome!

Of your list, the following are the most likely to show up on future Deathlists, I'd think: Carter, Marks, Jimmy Hill, Gorbachev, the former Pope. Maybe not 2016 in the latter two cases, but they are the types of people the committee seem to like. You know, the sort of person who might get a BBC Breaking News tweet when they die.

Ali, Vigoda, Van Dyke, Domino, Aznavour, Hawking, Stan Lee, Cardin, Noriega, Asner, Brooks, Tutu, Osbourne, Parsons, Bennett, Lewis, Connery, Queen Elizabeth, Brady have all been on the Deathlist in the past and so could make a return. Some of them feel more like than others (Tutu with his cancer for example), and I have a sneaking suspicion Sean Connery might make a George Cole like return from a long absence soon.

Urquhart, King Michael, Fresco, Rockefeller, Raspail, Smullyan, Brand, Fritzl, Youguang, Wilson are all names unlikely to be considered. They don't tend to go for the older vaguely famous in the UK people. They'll be DDP picks. I'd say Clive Derby-Lewis is unlikely too, given his name has been in deadpooling circles for a number of years, and they haven't gone for him yet.

Janner, Gaynes, Ure, Boutros-Ghali, Hefner, Harris, Forsyth, Glitter, Connolly, Cohen, Scales, Kwouk, Bacharach, Coltrane, Poitier, Wilder, Aldrin, Blessed, Glen Campbell, Mary Tyler Moore, Shatner, Manson, Corbett, Tobin, Mitchell, Reynolds, the Dalai Lama, Keith Richards, Morricone, Murdoch, Dylan, Polanski, Chirac, Eastwood, Attenborough and Roger Moore all all names I could see appearing on the Deathlist one day.

Douglas Slocombe normally wouldn't, but he might sneak on next year in one of their outlier picks from time to time.

Of the suggestion folk to drop, Sallis and Philips would be bad losses, and seem in much weaker health.

Thanks for your analysis of my post. I appreciate your point about some of the more obscure names. However, I do feel Alistair Urquhart - "the Forgotten Highlander" and prisoner of war in Asia would still be a good pick.

I'm not sure about how well known Clive Derby-Lewis actually is. He seems to be a significant figure in the resistance against the anti-apartheid movement in South Africa including assisting in the murder of a prominent anti-apartheid activist, but that's about as much as I know.

I also wanted to start some discussion about John Wetton, having mentioned his name a few times as a lurker. On Twitter he's posting about his chemotherapy treatment. Wetton is not some obscure prog rocker - he was the lead singer of Asia in the early 1980s, although he's been in many different bands in his career including King Crimson. Asia's self-titled debut album was the best-selling music album in the USA in 1982, and the band were the subject of a joke in the 2005 film The Forty Year Old Virgin.

I was told that there was a thread for progressive rockers a while back, but I can only see a thread about Genesis! Can anyone shed any light? Whatever the case, I think Wetton is probably at least as well known as say, Wilko Johnson, who was the star of the 2014 list.

Although Jacque Fresco probably isn't that well known in the UK, he did have a prominent role in the documentary film Zeitgeist.

And I'd consider Josef Fritzl to be more than "vaguely famous" - infamous, more like...

If you only include a few of my suggestions, I think John Wetton, Alistair Urquhart, Jacque Fresco, Greville Janner and Michael of Romania would be five of the best picks

Which reminds me: Sir Brian Urquhart, (b. 28 February 1919) a bit of a hero in my part of the world, was born just half a year before his namesake and is still with us. Obit guaranteed and at 96 he can't be around long, can he?

BTW, welcome on board, seaman Weebl.

• Like 1

Which reminds me: Sir Brian Urquhart, (b. 28 February 1919) a bit of a hero in my part of the world, was born just half a year before his namesake and is still with us. Obit guaranteed and at 96 he can't be around long, can he?

BTW, welcome on board, seaman Weebl.

Never heard of him, but at that age you'd think he'd be a good pick. Again it comes back to the same old dilemma that I raised in my initial post: do you choose the people who are older or less healthy and more obscure, or those who are a bit younger and more famous but somewhat less likely to immediately die, to get the "big name" hits in? That seems to be the central dilemma when making DeathList picks.

Interesting list Weebl two picks did catch my eye Charles Aznavour and Tony Bennett were on last years list and jeered our selection of them. I would not go that way again unless there was significant evidence of health problems.

I can somewhat understand the Aznavour and Bennett type picks if only because DL will never get a perfect 50/50 so there may as well be some names on it that are safe to remove for the year after.

I can somewhat understand the Aznavour and Bennett type picks if only because DL will never get a perfect 50/50 so there may as well be some names on it that are safe to remove for the year after.

speaking of Tony Bennett is he out of hospital yet. Last I heard of him he was hospitalized for pneumonia

speaking of Tony Bennett is he out of hospital yet. Last I heard of him he was hospitalized for pneumonia

He's performing again, as far as I can tell.

Jack Nicholson actually has Alzheimers (at least according to the National Enquirer). It also seems he has quit acting. I picked him this year already, but he was last seen accompanying his daughter and didn't look too bad:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2876745/Jack-Nicholson-beams-fatherly-pride-steps-daughter-Lorraine-art-Beverly-Hills.html

A commenter there says that David Bailey looks close to death, and I would agree.

Also, Mario Cuomo's death reminded me of another former US governor I had forgotten about, Birch Bayh. Much like Cuomo, he also had his eyes on the presidency (but lost to Carter) and has a son that followed his footsteps. And while the fathers were both liberals, their sons are moderates.

The latest on David Bailey from the Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3278222/Swinging-Sixties-photographer-David-Bailey-unrecognisable-anorak-woolly-cap-photo-shoot-apart-away-camera-hanging-discreetly-neck.html

According to some playmates the Playboy mansion resembles more like a geriatric home for old people. Hugh Hefner is in a frail state of health, constantly surrounded by nurses. A shoe in for 2016. He's 89 years old now.

Guest Guest

Dickie Bird

According to some playmates the Playboy mansion resembles more like a geriatric home for old people. Hugh Hefner is in a frail state of health, constantly surrounded by nurses. A shoe in for 2016. He's 89 years old now.

If he's still surrounded by women and getting a shoe in at 89, there may be a little life in the old dog, eh?

• Like 1

Might be worth keeping tabs on octagenarian blogger and general bohemian Karl Dallas (85 in January) seemingly quite chipper at present but also a man who offered himself as a human shield in Iraq in 2003 and older than many of the prominent potheads - like Daevid Allen - who've started popping their clogs aplenty of late.

Link: https://karldallasday.wordpress.com/

How about George Alagiah.He was diagnosed with bowel cancer 18 months ago and hasn`t been back to work done any interviews and stopped tweeting over a year ago now. Might be worth taking a gamble as he is certainly famous enough for the list.

• Like 1

Just noticed that there were 12 new entries this year.If the committee wishes to add the same number of newbies next year here are my suggestions

1)Jimmy Hill

2)Greville Janner

3)Howard Marks

4)Jimmy Carter

5)Antony Booth

6)Colin Dexter

7)Carol Channing

8)Rene Angelil

9)Lynne Stewart

10)Clare Hollingworth

11)Liz Dawn

12)Douglas Slocombe

Just noticed that there were 12 new entries this year.If the committee wishes to add the same number of newbies next year here are my suggestions

1)Jimmy Hill

2)Greville Janner

3)Howard Marks

4)Jimmy Carter

5)Antony Booth

6)Colin Dexter

7)Carol Channing

8)Rene Angelil

9)Lynne Stewart

10)Clare Hollingworth

11)Liz Dawn

12)Douglas Slocombe

The top four I would certainly half-expect on the 2016 list. Booth was still able to give interviews this year, which suggests his dementia is still quite slow acting. Dexter may show up on the list in about five years time if still about, I think: crime novelists have shown up before, but PD James had to wait till 91 for her debut. My suspicions, though I could be wrong, are that Angelil, Stewart and Hollingworth aren't really Deathlist committee type picks. Even then, I was surprised they went for Chris Woodhead, so who knows?

If they are on an MND trend, they might go for Fernando Ricksen. If they went for Eddie Large, they might well plump for Jim Bowen, who was already rumoured to be quite frail before yet another nasty stroke this summer. For actors of a certain vintage who happen to be getting old, Robert Hardy or Peter Vaughan feel highly Deathlist eligible picks.

1)Jimmy Hill

2)Greville Janner

3)Howard Marks

4)Jimmy Carter

5)Antony Booth

6)Colin Dexter

7)Carol Channing

8)Rene Angelil

9)Lynne Stewart

10)Clare Hollingworth

11)Liz Dawn

12)Douglas Slocombe

Are they all going to mark the start line, Rene Angeli might be a marginal bet to see Christmas, let alone dead pool action in 2016

1)Jimmy Hill

2)Greville Janner

3)Howard Marks

4)Jimmy Carter

5)Antony Booth

6)Colin Dexter

7)Carol Channing

8)Rene Angelil

9)Lynne Stewart

10)Clare Hollingworth

11)Liz Dawn

12)Douglas Slocombe

Are they all going to mark the start line, Rene Angeli might be a marginal bet to see Christmas, let alone dead pool action in 2016

Aye, Rene is one of those that's on the shortlist purely for logistic reasons: if still alive on January 1st, it'd be foolish to leave him off, but I fully expect him to be dead long before. See also Martin Crowe and a terminally ill writer not yet mentioned on the forums I'm hoping might be a unique pick.

1)Jimmy Hill

2)Greville Janner

3)Howard Marks

4)Jimmy Carter

5)Antony Booth

6)Colin Dexter

7)Carol Channing

8)Rene Angelil

9)Lynne Stewart

10)Clare Hollingworth

11)Liz Dawn

12)Douglas Slocombe

The top four I would certainly half-expect on the 2016 list. Booth was still able to give interviews this year, which suggests his dementia is still quite slow acting. Dexter may show up on the list in about five years time if still about, I think: crime novelists have shown up before, but PD James had to wait till 91 for her debut. My suspicions, though I could be wrong, are that Angelil, Stewart and Hollingworth aren't really Deathlist committee type picks. Even then, I was surprised they went for Chris Woodhead, so who knows?

If they are on an MND trend, they might go for Fernando Ricksen. If they went for Eddie Large, they might well plump for Jim Bowen, who was already rumoured to be quite frail before yet another nasty stroke this summer. For actors of a certain vintage who happen to be getting old, Robert Hardy or Peter Vaughan feel highly Deathlist eligible picks.

The thing with Booth is he has had Alzheimer`s for 11 years and also suffered a stroke some years back.He was also known for his heavy drinking and smoking which could well at 84 catch up with him.He also looks pretty frail in recent pics.Dexter has had diabetes for many years and looks awfully frail.Although diabetes isn`t typically a death sentence complications can occur.Angelil I wrestled with as he is more famous for being Celine`s husband than for being her manager but the fact that he is her manager I would say swings it. Stewart is notable for her trial and imprisonment and although is not a household name will certainly obit widely.Hollingworth I think is easy to justify as she was a well respected journalist who has the link with WW2. Ricksen I reckon has a couple more years left but I couldn`t really criticize his inclusion based on his health.Bowen seems like a good choice as do Vaughan and Hardy.

Talking of Lynne Stewart. What's the latest health update of her? Chances of surviving 2016?

Talking of Lynne Stewart. What's the latest health update of her? Chances of surviving 2016?

Add LS to the list of "probably does have cancer, was 100% lying about its stage to get out of prison". Could drop dead tomorrow, could still be around in 2019. Wouldn't waste a 2016 pick on her.

• Like 1