Bibliogryphon

By-Election Bingo

Unfortunately none of us had the foresight to include Harry in our picks.

So his passing goes unmarked by scores in the By-election Bingo game.

I think the rate is probably about right to get 18 or so in 5 years. The rate will increase the further you get away from the election.

This by-election should be fairly straight forward.

The seat has been held solidly by Labour in the whole of the post war period.It is David Blunkett old seat and although in 2010 (after the boundary changes) his share of the vote dropped by over 14% he still had over 50% of the vote.

Harry Harpham clawed a little of that back but on a lower turnout.

UKIP were second in 2015 with about 20% of the vote swapping places with the Lib Dems who were second in 2010. The Tories got the same votes (less than 70 difference) in both counts which is around the 11% mark (suggesting this is a core vote).

Turnout will be down in a By-election timing might be an issue as they might want to avoid Easter. So March 17th could be a possibility or probably first week in April.

Watching a bit of the Syria air strikes debate, there has been alot of mention of the absence of the 'Honourable Member for Ilford South'. A quick Google search reveals that 63 year old Mike Gapes has been rushed to hospital suffering from those classic 'chest pains'. Looks like he's recovering after surgery but one to watch. Annoyingly, I know he was on my longlist but did not make it to my shortlist. I believe should he stand down or die he would be a unique pick for a very smug Voice of Young Maryport. http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/crime-court/ilford_south_mp_mike_gapes_in_hospital_following_emergency_surgery_1_4330563

As for Shapps, he's on my list so I'd like to see him fall on his sword, although I would also like to point out that Maryport putting him in as a late replacement prevents me getting some very valuable unique pick points if it happens. Grrrr....

FAO Maryport

The Voice of YMP might be on for a good one here, long term. Mike Gapes had a heart attack, and was only released from hospital last week, 2 months on.

• Like 1

Watching a bit of the Syria air strikes debate, there has been alot of mention of the absence of the 'Honourable Member for Ilford South'. A quick Google search reveals that 63 year old Mike Gapes has been rushed to hospital suffering from those classic 'chest pains'. Looks like he's recovering after surgery but one to watch. Annoyingly, I know he was on my longlist but did not make it to my shortlist. I believe should he stand down or die he would be a unique pick for a very smug Voice of Young Maryport. http://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/crime-court/ilford_south_mp_mike_gapes_in_hospital_following_emergency_surgery_1_4330563

As for Shapps, he's on my list so I'd like to see him fall on his sword, although I would also like to point out that Maryport putting him in as a late replacement prevents me getting some very valuable unique pick points if it happens. Grrrr....

FAO Maryport

The Voice of YMP might be on for a good one here, long term. Mike Gapes had a heart attack, and was only released from hospital last week, 2 months on.

Shit, he's lording it over me already without this encouraging boost.

This ain't a sprint, ain't a marathon but it's an ultra-marathon, right.

• Like 1

FAO Maryport

Well unless some blue ones start dying we have still got another 50 months to play.

FAO Maryport

Well unless some blue ones start dying we have still got another 50 months to play.

Maybe a nice hotel stopover in Brighton...

FAO Maryport

Maybe a nice hotel stopover in Brighton...

No. That would fuck up my journey to work!

I saw a name on that Wiki page that Id forgotten about, Labour MP John Stonehouse.

He caused a By Election by being convicted of fraud.

So, even with the strong rumours of him being in the pocket of the Czech secret service, being caught faking his death and, generally being of very dubious character, the Labour Party STILL didn't get shot of him until he was finally convicted.

How times change.

Labour select Gill Furniss, the widow of Harry Harpham, as their by-election candidate. I expect the date will now be 5th May.

Labour select Gill Furniss, the widow of Harry Harpham, as their by-election candidate. I expect the date will now be 5th May.

Just an idea, like, wouldn't it be good for politics in general if every deceased MP had - by law - to be replaced on the forthcoming ballot by the last person (still breathing) with whom they had sex?

Just an idea, like, wouldn't it be good for politics in general if every deceased MP had - by law - to be replaced on the forthcoming ballot by the last person (still breathing) with whom they had sex?

Some of those 'last people' might not be old enough to stand for parliament.
  • Like 3

Well, at least, unlikely the old system those particular individuals would no longer be forced to stand to come into a grouping of parliamentarians.

EDIT: Too far?

• Like 1

Well, at least, unlikely the old system those particular individuals would no longer be forced to stand to come into a grouping of parliamentarians.

EDIT: Too far?

One thing's for certain; we'd get the odd dominatrix in there who'd make Thatcher look tame.

C'mon people, we need an online petition.

Kit Malthouse has been sacked as patron for an M.S. charity for voting in favour of a £30 a week cut in disability benefit.

Could his political career be next?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-35816796

I'm gonna say no. It probably makes him more likely to be named the next Work and Pensions Secretary instead.

Kit Malthouse has been sacked as patron for an M.S. charity for voting in favour of a £30 a week cut in disability benefit.

I'm gonna say no. It probably makes him more likely to be named the next Work and Pensions Secretary instead.

The vacancy is now there.

• Like 1

Ooh. Somebody had the inside track...

• Like 1

Ogmore by-election.

That'll be four in a year when Khan wins the London Mayoral, and none on my list.

Labour's held the seat since 1918, so I wouldn't expect too much in the way of a thrilling contest in Ogmore.

Labour's held the seat since 1918, so I wouldn't expect too much in the way of a thrilling contest in Ogmore.

I believe they've already selected the next MP new candidate.

• Like 1

I believe they've already selected the next MP new candidate.

Is it a horse?