themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2016

Congrats Spade on winning again . A Novak 2012-2013 like Slam win against the competition in peak form.

• Like 1

Well done, Spade. A superb performance. The Drive for Five is on!

• Like 2

Congrats Spade!

However, Rad's Rad R'attempt R'at R'deadpooling with To Kill A Gabor Sister's cancer mums and dying misters, is taking you DOWN in 2017.

*cough* I'm probably not even making the top 20 *cough*

• Like 1

Well done to Spade on achieving the FDR-esque victory streak!

• Like 1

It's over then? Huzzah for Spade!

Meantime, I got a hit on every team last year. Sad, but not one ended up in the bottom zero position.

Who knows what tomorrow brings? In a world, few hearts survive...

• Like 1

Wooh! Spade!

jumping_smiley22.gif

• Like 1

Congrats on your 4th win. Who knows what's going to happen next year. Will you get a five peat or will someone else finally claim the title? We will see...

• Like 1

I think what is quite telling is that there's been talk of other teams making Spade-like choices of having Spade-like teams, as if there was some formula to win. Such has been the impact of DQSP's success in recent years. Yes DDT has been unerringly consistent and have been brief periods of dominance by other teams. But Spade/DQSP represents I think the first truly dominant figure in the DDP. It's Steve Davis or Roger Federer. The yardstick for everyone else to match...

• Like 1

I think he's certainly improved the rest of us. It's just that he's improving at an equal or faster rate. 2015 was the missed opportunity for anyone to take him down. Still, lots of very strong looking teams in 2017 been announced so far.

I noticed I have 13 names in common with him this year, which may not leave a lot of wriggle room, but I take as a sign of how much my methodology has sharpened.

Also, I noticed the ways DQSP picks surprise me has changed over time. In 2014 and 15 I had to look up easily four or five names to see why they were ill. Last year was only two, and this year one. Now the surprises are specific details re names I knew, but didn't seriously consider. Stuff like last year's Dan Haggerty being much iller than commonly known because a hunting lodge newsletter asked for prayers, or now Jagraj Singh being obitworthy after all because of his brother being Sunny Hundal.

• Like 1

Congrats Spade! Best of luck to all in 2017!

• Like 1

Well done Spade Cooley. Well done!

SirC

• Like 1

Impressive Spade, real impressive.

• Like 1

Congratulations, Spade!

If I recall correctly, I declared Cpt. Chorizo the favourite after the death of Jade Pateman early in the year. I was off by the slightest bit. And that came after the Delpech fiasco - which didn't change anything after all (my place also wouldn't have changed).

• Like 1

Congratulations, Spade! You are a legend!

I am happy with the results in 2016. For me 12th place and 105 points is the highest result ever.

Let's see what 2017 brings.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, an amazing year in the DDP and a testament to how strong the competition is here that a score of 110, which would have won all but two previous DDPs, wouldn't even have seen you go top 10 this year.

It is worth noting how a number of my victories have been won on either circumstance (Sadhana dying on Christmas Day) or obituaries only coming in one, usually overlooked source (Yosra El-Essawy in the Express, Andrew Millwall on Sky Sports). But a fourth title does actually feel like a big achievement.

Weird situation to be in when you're actively hoping that the leader of Isis doesn't die, but there you go.

Good luck in 2017, should be another cracker.

I noticed I have 13 names in common with him this year, which may not leave a lot of wriggle room, but I take as a sign of how much my methodology has sharpened.

Also, I noticed the ways DQSP picks surprise me has changed over time. In 2014 and 15 I had to look up easily four or five names to see why they were ill. Last year was only two, and this year one. Now the surprises are specific details re names I knew, but didn't seriously consider. Stuff like last year's Dan Haggerty being much iller than commonly known because a hunting lodge newsletter asked for prayers, or now Jagraj Singh being obitworthy after all because of his brother being Sunny Hundal.

I've said before, DDT is the greatest natural deadpooler of all time, but I think my research game is 100%.

• Like 1

Final proof this methodology is a bit rubbish? It would have my team scoring 100 points. Yeah, right, and I'm Pope Francis.

I forgot about this, but I guess I'm Pope Francis then.

I've said before, DDT is the greatest natural deadpooler of all time, but I think my research game is 100%.

Forcing everyone's game to improve, really - it's either that or lose by landslide. I also suppose this means someone will eventually up their research game so much, they turn into an unstoppable deadpooler who beats you, just as you stopped the likes of OoO and DDT in their tracks, and they crushed Fallen Sparrow and the earlier deadpoolers, but who knows when that'll happen.

Final update for 2016.

Time to unpin this thread and pin 2017 then....

Edited by DevonDeathTrip
Threads unpinned and pinned!
  • Like 5

In 2015 there were a few teams that didn't do so well. in 2016 pretty much everyone where on their "A" game. A bit like the darts this year...

Let's have a big hand for the six non-theme teams who scored the big bagel this year:

Toasted Brown Bread

Just to clear up any doubt, that's not one of my teams!

Quite content with my #35 finish (10/20). Would have been higher if I was less scrupulous with my fame levels.

My theme team of musicians finished fifth, largely thanks to George and his Christmas bonus as I missed most of the big music deaths.

Congrats to Im Sorry For Your Troubles

35th overall,but highest placing team without Joey Feek

Only 2 other Feekless teams in the top 40

The Beatles Are Dying In The Wrong Order and Shameless

What are the chances their will ever be a consensous pick like that among teams at the top of the table?