Sign in to follow this  
RIP Wee Jum

Tony Blackburn

I think he looks a lot older than he did when I last saw him on TV.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

I think he looks a lot older than he did when I last saw him on TV.

Well if the last time you saw him on TV was ten years ago then he’s probably about ten years older. 

Evening drop pickers, Tony Blackburn spotted in the wild this evening. Looks better than he sounds.

6 minutes ago, time said:

Evening drop pickers, Tony Blackburn spotted in the wild this evening. Looks better than he sounds.

I hate it when you come onto the forum and find an up to date post about somebody that you like.

You begin thinking 'Noooooooo, they are dead!!!!!!!!!

Thank fuck the bewigged legend is still going strong.

I am hoping he does a Brian Matthew and keeps on working into his late 80's.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Always found him to be absolutely insufferable.

Noooo!!!!!

He is brilliant!!!! :D

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Noooo!!!!!

He is brilliant!!!! :D

He is quite good at what he does. It really depends on whether you like what he does. I much prefer pick of the pops now that Paul Gambachini presents it because he has more musical authority but they still try to put Blackburnesque quips in that fall totally flat

16 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

He is quite good at what he does. It really depends on whether you like what he does. I much prefer pick of the pops now that Paul Gambachini presents it because he has more musical authority but they still try to put Blackburnesque quips in that fall totally flat

Yes he can be a knob, his jokes are puerile and he is seen as a bit of a twat but he is head and shoulders above the utter dross there was back in the day and now.

His musical knowledge of the greatest ( IMHO) decade in modern music is second to none and he was never too big for his boots to take on Junior Choice where a generation of kids got entertained and were made to feel important by him.

He was, is and always will be what he set out to be, a DJ, playing the tunes and talking to the folks listening in.

Nah, he was no John Peel or Whispering Bob but millions of us would rather read a tabloid than a broadsheet.

Amen.

• Like 2

Cancels radio show and live appearances because of a persistent chest infection. Related to the 'nasty virus' in the post above perhaps?

He doesn't strike me as someone that will reach nonagenarian status.

Tony Blackburn discharged after three weeks in hospital, no doubt related to the above chest infection.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, time said:

Tony Blackburn discharged after three weeks in hospital, no doubt related to the above chest infection.

Listened to a bit of Sounds of the Sixties on Saturday with Johnny Walker filling in. He was all over the place getting things wrong, getting confused. It was quite chaotic. He and Tony may be in a race to the finish line.

• Like 1

Would be nice for Blackburn to hold out until January, feels very DL-y as a name.

14 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Would be nice for Blackburn to hold out until January, feels very DL-y as a name.

I am getting Brian Mathew vibes about this. If he is back on the radio by the summer then I think we should forget him for a couple of years but if he has not returned to broadcast then I think he would be an interesting contender

Allegedly the DJ referred to in Panic......

On 15/04/2023 at 20:15, Perhaps said:

Cancels radio show and live appearances because of a persistent chest infection. Related to the 'nasty virus' in the post above perhaps?

He doesn't strike me as someone that will reach nonagenarian status.

Presumably, one could call Rolf Harris a noncegenarian?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am getting Brian Mathew vibes about this. If he is back on the radio by the summer then I think we should forget him for a couple of years but if he has not returned to broadcast then I think he would be an interesting contender

Nnnyyyaaa, it was Savile all day long.

4 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

As in "the music that they constantly play, it says nothing to me about my life...hang the DJ etc.." ?

It also rips half the melody line - against a G - Em progression that repeats throughout the song - from Metal Guru by T.Rex. 

But it's still a classic

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I thought this was Steve Wright? Written after playing something cheery and poppy after a news report breaking the Chernobyl disaster.

5 hours ago, TQR said:

I thought this was Steve Wright? Written after playing something cheery and poppy after a news report breaking the Chernobyl disaster.

I vaguely remember reading that he and Morrissey were on the same team on Pop Quiz  and Blackburn's constant inane chatter totally put Morrissey off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TQR said:

I'm Your Man by Wham!

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

On 03/05/2023 at 14:41, Bibliogryphon said:

Listened to a bit of Sounds of the Sixties on Saturday with Johnny Walker filling in. He was all over the place getting things wrong, getting confused. It was quite chaotic. He and Tony may be in a race to the finish line.

In the accompanying photo’ he does not look too chipper. I guess for someone with chest issues the initials TB are somewhat appropriate 

On 16/11/2021 at 20:54, Bibliogryphon said:

The guy ruined POTP….kept taking over records telling us about the bloody weather in London.

• Like 2