charon

Michael J Fox

Any update on Mr J Fox ?

Was wondering as I was just watching Back To The Future at the moment as its Back To The Future day

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wee Jum said:

Any update on Mr J Fox ?

Was wondering as I was just watching Back To The Future at the moment as its Back To The Future day

I watched BTTF 3 yesterday.

On 21/04/2018 at 15:01, gcreptile said:

He recently had spinal surgery, unrelated to his Parkinson's:

https://www.thewrap.com/michael-j-fox-in-recovery-after-spinal-surgery/

This surgery was due to non-malignant cancer. He also suffered a bad fall last year. This information stems from a new interview with People Magazine in which he reveals his short term memory is now fucked.

5 minutes ago, msc said:

non-malignant cancer

That had me :scratchhead:

The article actually says "non-cancerous tumour".

As his struggles with Parkinson's worsen, Michael J. Fox admits his acting career has come to an end: "There is a time for everything, and my time of putting in a twelve-hour workday, and memorizing seven pages of dialogue, is best behind me."

https://consequenceofsound.net/2020/11/michael-j-fox-retires-again/

• Sad 1

2023 hit I reckon

On 17/11/2020 at 09:03, Philip said:

2023 hit I reckon

Might even be sooner than that.  He's lived for a really long time with this disease.  I know that he got it at a very young age, but still, he might be a good pick as soon as next year in formats that reward you for younger picks.  

1 hour ago, MrWonderful said:

Might even be sooner than that.  He's lived for a really long time with this disease.  I know that he got it at a very young age, but still, he might be a good pick as soon as next year in formats that reward you for younger picks.  

Mohammad Ali had it for donkeys years, I think Fox has at least another 10-15 years in him as long as he can afford the best treatment

21 hours ago, Arsewipe said:

Mohammad Ali had it for donkeys years, I think Fox has at least another 10-15 years in him as long as he can afford the best treatment

Ali officially had it for 32 years, though he likely had it for about 36 years, since he pretty clearly was showing symptoms for about 4 years before his diagnosis.  In any case, it does appear that many patients can expect to live almost as long as non-afflicted people, so you could very well be right.  

On 06/11/2020 at 03:21, Toast said:

That had me :scratchhead:

The article actually says "non-cancerous tumour".

It's probably not what they meant, but perhaps it was carcinoma in situ (cells that are sufficiently abnormal to be deemed cancer are there, but they haven't yet invaded through the basement membrane, and may never do so... so it's kind of a non-invasive cancer or 'stage 0').

Related to this, I read ages ago that there have been some cases of 'benign' tumours that have metastasised (without first transforming into cancer, that is).  I would have thought that metastasis was the hallmark of cancer, but e.g. there's this report of a fatal, benign metastatic tumour from 1906 - https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/455589

Michael J. Fox was on This Morning today.

Looked pretty good! I reckon he'll be around for a while yet.

Following on Ulitzer's heels, he was on the Graham Norton Show last night via Zoom and seemed in as good health as he can be. Cracked jokes, told stories, honest about his challenges but otherwise nothing to suggest he's immediately in danger. He's still planning a 5th book of memoirs (he's promoting his 4th). He also referenced the tumour on his spine and the fall that shattered his arm shortly after recovering from the surgery that @msc mentioned a month ago.

Interview from about 32 mins to 40 mins: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000pzgy/the-graham-norton-show-series-28-episode-9

• Like 1

Lot of people alive from the original Back to the Future (1985).

All of the "main crew" still alive:

Director Robert Zemeckis got to 70 last month. Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton are 70 and 72/73. Music composer Alan Silvestri is 71, cinematographer Dean Cundey 75 and editors Arthur Schmidt and Harry Keramidas are 80 and 83.

Main cast (Fox, Lloyd, Thompson, Glover and Wilson) all still alive.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, arghton said:

Lot of people alive from the original Back to the Future (1985).

All of the "main crew" still alive:

Director Robert Zemeckis got to 70 last month. Producers Bob Gale and Neil Canton are 70 and 72/73. Music composer Alan Silvestri is 71, cinematographer Dean Cundey 75 and editors Arthur Schmidt and Harry Keramidas are 80 and 83.

Main cast (Fox, Lloyd, Thompson, Glover and Wilson) all still alive.

Also worth mentioning James Tolkan (b. 1931),  who played Principal/Sheriff Strickland in the trilogy and was a prolific supporting actor in films and TV. He’d likely admonish us all as slackers 

• Like 1

Ahem... almost time for a Christopher Lloyd vs. Michael J Fox poll.

• Like 3

I think Michael J. Fox is one of those few celebrities whom absolutely nobody hates.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, markb4 said:

I think Michael J. Fox is one of those few celebrities whom absolutely nobody hates.

Rush Limbaugh called him a fake once...but then, he doesn't count anymore.

13 minutes ago, markb4 said:

That's an idea for a thread ......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markb4 said:

Dolly Parton is another one.

• Like 1

Ricky Gervais is surely up there. Sir David Attenborough too.

• Like 1