The Mad Hatter

The Dead Of 2017

Sunny Hale, "the greatest female polo player in history" and the first woman to win the US Open Polo Championship, has died aged 48. 

Howard Schmidt, Obama's cybersecurity advisor from December 2009 until May 2012, has died of cancer aged 67. He also served as the vice chair of the President's Critical Infrastructure Protection Board and special advisor for cybersecurity under the second President Bush, starting December 2001, and helped create the US National Strategy to Secure CyberSpace, serving as its chair from Jan-May 2003, when he first retired from the White House.

Wally Pikal, trumpeter and leader of the band Wally & the Dill Pickles has died at the age of 90.

He was notable for being able to play up to 3 trumpets at the same time whilst jumping on a pogo stick, an act which led to appearances on several national television shows, including The Tonight Show.

Unfortunately, I can't find a clip of him on The Tonight Show, so here's a clip from a few years ago of him doing his 3 trumpets act.

• Like 1

Fernando Pucci, the last "compagno di merende", the group of Tuscan people suspected to be the Monster of Florence, has died in late February aged 86. Wikipedia had him dead in 2002. Dicks.

Thomas Starzl, the physician who performed the first liver transplant and is regarded as "the father of modern transplantation", has reportedly stopped liv(er)ing at the age of 90.

https://twitter.com/RenewalNews/status/838276801348661248

Edit: Still no news sources reporting it, I'm beginning to think I've fell for another hoax. Who the feck hoaxes about Dr. Thomas Starzl?

Edit Edit: Never mind, it's true. Here's an obit: http://triblive.com/news/12024898-74/starzl-transplant-patients

• Like 2

Mike Smith, UK athletics coach has died aged 88.

Coached the likes of Kriss Akabusi, Roger Black, Donna Murray, and was UK Coach of the Year in 2009.

Science fiction writer Philip K. Dick wrote as follows. "In my writing I even question the universe; I wonder out loud if it is real, and I wonder out loud if all of us are real."

What if none of us are real? In that case none of these reported deaths are real. Actually quantum mechanics has proved that the universe is not real.

1 hour ago, bladan said:

Science fiction writer Philip K. Dick wrote as follows. "In my writing I even question the universe; I wonder out loud if it is real, and I wonder out loud if all of us are real."

What if none of us are real? In that case none of these reported deaths are real. Actually quantum mechanics has proved that the universe is not real.

Some days I really hope that none of it's real.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, msc said:

Very droll!

Did you call, Sir?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bladan said:

I'd have to say one of the most disappointing books I ever read is the first serious biography of him; Divine Invasions.

He wrote loads of questioning stuff but when you read the book you get:

1 - What looks incredibly inventive was actually the way he thought.

2 - All five of his ex-wives said he was impossible!

• Like 1

" 1 - What looks incredibly inventive was actually the way he thought."
So what? At his best he was an ubique writer. He died at 53, according to my research average long lifespan is 70. Who cares anyway.

2 - All five of his ex-wives said he was impossible! "

Probably these ex-wives were impossible too. Mädchen...

52 minutes ago, bladan said:

" 1 - What looks incredibly inventive was actually the way he thought."
So what? At his best he was an ubique writer. He died at 53, according to my research average long lifespan is 70. Who cares anyway.

2 - All five of his ex-wives said he was impossible! "

Probably these ex-wives were impossible too. Mädchen...

What all five ex-wives were impossible?

Hmm - don't get me wrong; I read all the important PKD novels and they did the business for me. Things to avoid if you want to keep loving him:

1 - Reading the "mainstream" books (best of which is probs "Confessions of a Crap Artist" or "The Man Who's Teeth Were All Exactly Alike")

2 - Paying too much attention to people who knew him well and start talking about his character.

3 - Even thinking for one moment that VALIS is an autobiography.

Rant over

OK... but what if none of PKD's novels are real. About those things to avoid if you want to keep loving him: Is it possible to avoid anything? Physicists and neurologists agree that there is no such thing as mental causation. Therefore it is impossible to avoid anything until it suddenly zaps you.

41 minutes ago, bladan said:

OK... but what if none of PKD's novels are real. About those things to avoid if you want to keep loving him: Is it possible to avoid anything? Physicists and neurologists agree that there is no such thing as mental causation. Therefore it is impossible to avoid anything until it suddenly zaps you.

Aye, Dick would doubtless agree with your good self. The point I'm making about VALIS is that he originally thought it an autobiography and it - basically - describes a full-blown psychotic episode from 1974 and the Horselover Fat psueodonym was never intended to fool anyone beyond the first couple of pages. At which point you can give him some credit for chanelling his own insanity or simply decide he couldn't help himself.

Of all his books that's the one that blew me away most on first reading (over and above Do Androids..., The Man in the High Castle, Ubik or the other strong contenders.)  So, seeing its genesis laid bare when I took the trouble to investigate his life was summat of a let-down.

Fascinating that in 2017 a dead killer whale has a qualifying obit, but Tony Haygarth doesn't so far.

Well, this is the country that voted for Scooch....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, Dick would doubtless agree with your good self. The point I'm making about VALIS is that he originally thought it an autobiography and it - basically - describes a full-blown psychotic episode from 1974 and the Horselover Fat psueodonym was never intended to fool anyone beyond the first couple of pages. At which point you can give him some credit for chanelling his own insanity or simply decide he couldn't help himself.

Of all his books that's the one that blew me away most on first reading (over and above Do Androids..., The Man in the High Castle, Ubik or the other strong contenders.)  So, seeing its genesis laid bare when I took the trouble to investigate his life was summat of a let-down.

Have you read his Counter-Clock World ? The novel describes a future in which time has started to move in reverse, resulting in the dead reviving in their own graves ("old-birth"), living their lives in reverse, and eventually returning to the womb where they split into an egg and a sperm during copulation between a recipient woman and a man. Recently dead people (e.g. Peter Falk) will revive first, and eventually historical figures such as Napoleon and Julius Caesar will be back among us. Perhaps Jesus too... his second coming.

What if PKD hit the truth and time reversal (in which also Stephen Hawking used to believe) begins next year?

5 hours ago, bladan said:

Have you read his Counter-Clock World ? The novel describes a future in which time has started to move in reverse, resulting in the dead reviving in their own graves ("old-birth"), living their lives in reverse, and eventually returning to the womb where they split into an egg and a sperm during copulation between a recipient woman and a man. Recently dead people (e.g. Peter Falk) will revive first, and eventually historical figures such as Napoleon and Julius Caesar will be back among us. Perhaps Jesus too... his second coming.

What if PKD hit the truth and time reversal (in which also Stephen Hawking used to believe) begins next year?

What if...

Well, there's this twat I used to know at school...

He's got it coming, again!!

On 3/14/2017 at 15:23, maryportfuncity said:

What if...

Well, there's this twat I used to know at school...

He's got it coming, again!!

"This would mean that the contracting phase would be like the time reverse of the expanding phase. People in the contracting phase would live their lives backward: they would die before they were born and get younger as the universe contracted." – Stephen Hawking

"You only live twice" – James Bond

I can hardly wait to experience my contracting phase.

On 3/14/2017 at 06:25, YoungWillz said:

Fascinating that in 2017 a dead killer whale has a qualifying obit, but Tony Haygarth doesn't so far.

Well, this is the country that voted for Scooch....

What country?

Oh right, you mean ENGLAND!!!

Thats another thing for Sturgeon to throw at us in her demand for a referendum!!!:ph34r:

• Like 1