The Mad Hatter

The Dead Of 2017

Oh ok, I must've skimmed it, and missed it.

I just found out that someone that was on my list last year, died last year, & I never knew it. :/ lol I even kept them on, for this year, until I checked them out, to see if they were still around, lol. Apparently, back on September 21st, singer John D Loudermilk died, of a heart attack. So, that makes my total, for last year, 13 deaths, not 12. Scratch that, make that two people on my list, from last year, died, without me know. Frank Buckley also died, & way back on February 1st, lol. 14 in total, for me, a record.

I wonder if maybe having 250 names is the reason you lost track of him?
  • Like 1

I just found out that someone that was on my list last year, died last year, & I never knew it. :/ lol I even kept them on, for this year, until I checked them out, to see if they were still around, lol. Apparently, back on September 21st, singer John D Loudermilk died, of a heart attack. So, that makes my total, for last year, 13 deaths, not 12. Scratch that, make that two people on my list, from last year, died, without me know. Frank Buckley also died, & way back on February 1st, lol. 14 in total, for me, a record.

More than likely. Lol

More than likely. Lol

Don't you keep your lists separate?

Archbishop Hilarion Capucci becomes the first notable death of 2017 aged 94.

http://www.wattan.tv/news/194746.html

Sorry, SC, this is the only available link for now.

Actually I'm far more disturbed with anyone calling Archbishop Whoeverthehell a 'notable' death. Be patient they will come. We are pros here and don't need to put square pegs in round holes. Dale Bumpers got us off and running in a never to be matched year last year. The Archbishop was a cute and funny soul, but fails as a 'noted' celeb.

SC

• Like 2

Paul Krugman tweets the death of Sir Anthony Atkinson, noted British economist/academic.

Oh, last week it was a 50:50 decision at the book store whether to buy Atkinson's book or the new one by Michael Lewis. I bought the latter. If I had known that Atkinson was about to die....

Sir Denis Faulkner brother of former Prime minister Brian died yesterday, no formal notice yet but have it from a good source.

Sir Denis Faulkner brother of former Prime minister Brian died yesterday, no formal notice yet but have it from a good source.

your ass?

Why does the deathlist show the age people will reach on their next birthday (assuming they do)? Kirk Douglas turned 100 less than a month ago, yet the list shows him aged 101. Is it some sort of fate-tempting exercise?

your ass?

You really are turning into an annoying twat.

• Like 7

your ass?

fuck you that was funny.

Why does the deathlist show the age people will reach on their next birthday (assuming they do)? Kirk Douglas turned 100 less than a month ago, yet the list shows him aged 101. Is it some sort of fate-tempting exercise?

As one of the admins mentioned earlier, the script showing the ages is a bit more simple than what you see on Wikipedia. It just takes the current year (2017) and subtracts the year when he was born (1916) arriving at the figures you see on the front page. It's guaranteed to be accurate at the end of the year (31st of December, 2017); but it doesn't keep track of the exact birthdates (day-month).

your ass?

His style might be a bit raw at times, but his point seems relevant. So far, I haven't spotted any obituaries, articles, twitter reports etc. for any Den(n)is Faulkners that died yesterday, which could mean one of three things.

1. Reports of his death are withheld until the closest relatives can be contacted and informed (how long could it take in the 21st century era of cell phones and the internet?)

2. No one really cares about the guy, so his death is not newsworthy (since he was a C.B.E. this possibility can be excluded).

3. The source was unreliable.

As one of the admins mentioned earlier, the script showing the ages is a bit more simple than what you see on Wikipedia. It just takes the current year (2017) and subtracts the year when he was born (1916) arriving at the figures you see on the front page. It's guaranteed to be accurate at the end of the year (31st of December, 2017); but it doesn't keep track of the exact birthdates (day-month).

There are only fifty of them - it can't be that much of a slog to enter the ages manually, shirley?

There are only fifty of them - it can't be that much of a slog to enter the ages manually, shirley?

My understanding is that the age is that of what they will turn in the year they are selected. E.g. Kirk Douglas will turn 101 in 2017

Yeah but someone would have to manually update 50 names on 48 different days.

Heavens no!

How about admins each take a month, would that help the 'someones' ?

Just think of it like it's old gravestones: 93 = "in his 94th year".

Just think of it like it's old gravestones: 93 = "in his 94th year".

I kind of understand your point, but if anyone dies past their birthday, it's no longer the age displayed on the gravestone.

Heavens no!

How about admins each take a month, would that help the 'someones' ?

Nah, it's the 21st century. They just need to fetch the exact age from a database (say, a bot collecting them from Wikipedia), and a Wikipedia-style script that calculates the correct age. Can't be too hard.

John Berger, Booker Prize winning author: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38492516

I read 'G' as part of my (as yet incomplete) attempt to read all the Booker Prize winners (just 12 left to go). I always imagined the character 'G' to be somewhat Gerard Depardieu-esque. Not the worst or most inaccessible Booker Prize winner, but certainly the earlier winners are, in general, heavier going than the more recent ones. Surely a sign that the Booker Prize has been dumbed down as much as A Levels have etc. etc.

Apparently the philosopher Derek Parfit has died.

http://dailynous.com/2017/01/02/derek-parfit-1942-2017/

If it's true then that's an excellent start for my theme team and possibly the first hit of 2017

Edit: If he obits...

I'm really quite shocked at the lack of obits. He was a huge name in 20th/21st century moral philosophy and I would have thought he was guaranteed an obit from either The Guardian or the Financial Times.

At least he's got 362 days of the year left to get a QO, so it's not another Huston Smith situation. However I'm now starting to doubt the rest of my theme team.

Why would they have to update all the names each time? Only the person whose birthday it is would have to be changed. (Insert adult nappy joke here.)

Not trying to be argumentative; I just feel I'm missing something.

Why would they have to update all the names each time? Only the person whose birthday it is would have to be changed. (Insert adult nappy joke here.)

Not trying to be argumentative; I just feel I'm missing something.

I meant near enough every few days or so someone would have to manually alter the ages of the individuals who have just celebrated their birthday.

Rolf Noskwith, who surely must have been the last living member of Alan Turing's "Hut 8" at Bletchley, dead at 97.