The Mad Hatter

The Dead Of 2017

George Kosana, actor with a small but memorable role as the Sherrif at the end of Night of the Living Dead.

• Like 1

Apparently the philosopher Derek Parfit has died.

http://dailynous.com/2017/01/02/derek-parfit-1942-2017/

If it's true then that's an excellent start for my theme team and possibly the first hit of 2017

Edit: If he obits...

I'm really quite shocked at the lack of obits. He was a huge name in 20th/21st century moral philosophy and I would have thought he was guaranteed an obit from either The Guardian or the Financial Times.

At least he's got 362 days of the year left to get a QO, so it's not another Huston Smith situation. However I'm now starting to doubt the rest of my theme team.

IF your on twitter maybe take the liberty of politely querying the lack of obituary for him by tweeting the Telegraph Obituaries, Guardian Obituaries etc twitter accounts.

You never know you may just nudge them into it!

• Like 4

If it's true then that's an excellent start for my theme team and possibly the first hit of 2017

I'm really quite shocked at the lack of obits. He was a huge name in 20th/21st century moral philosophy and I would have thought he was guaranteed an obit from either The Guardian or the Financial Times.

At least he's got 362 days of the year left to get a QO, so it's not another Huston Smith situation. However I'm now starting to doubt the rest of my theme team.

IF your on twitter maybe take the liberty of politely querying the lack of obituary for him by tweeting the Telegraph Obituaries, Guardian Obituaries etc twitter accounts.

Or you could just accept this Times obit.

The David in question, the philosopher, author and broadcaster David Edmonds, was not disappointed. He was distraught. He had spent days researching and writing a draft of a long piece (for Prospect magazine) about the unusual marriage of Derek Parfit and his wife, also an important philosopher, Janet Radcliffe Richards. Parfit had been unhappy with a few aspects of a New Yorker profile of him, and so Edmonds thought it wise to fact-check his effort. Parfit said that Edmonds had committed numerous errors, which he then detailed over two pages.

As Edmonds went through them, his despair turned to bafflement. For none of the so-called errors was actually in the article. He soon realised that he had emailed a document containing his half-formed ideas and jottings by mistake. Only Derek Parfit could have believed that this gobbledegook was intended for publication. He took things literally. If you told him that a set of rambling non sequiturs was to appear in a prestigious periodical, that was what he believed.

• Like 1

That's not my style, but I'll sign up and do it anyway.

Edit: Ah, never mind. Huzzah!

• Like 1

Or you could just accept this Times obit.

The David in question, the philosopher, author and broadcaster David Edmonds, was not disappointed. He was distraught. He had spent days researching and writing a draft of a long piece (for Prospect magazine) about the unusual marriage of Derek Parfit and his wife, also an important philosopher, Janet Radcliffe Richards. Parfit had been unhappy with a few aspects of a New Yorker profile of him, and so Edmonds thought it wise to fact-check his effort. Parfit said that Edmonds had committed numerous errors, which he then detailed over two pages.

As Edmonds went through them, his despair turned to bafflement. For none of the so-called errors was actually in the article. He soon realised that he had emailed a document containing his half-formed ideas and jottings by mistake. Only Derek Parfit could have believed that this gobbledegook was intended for publication. He took things literally. If you told him that a set of rambling non sequiturs was to appear in a prestigious periodical, that was what he believed.

Yes indeed that is welcome for those who picked him (I didn't) I was just going on the information provided by other posters that there was no qualifying obituary never mind a more formal one.

That's not my style, but I'll sign up and do it anyway.

Edit: Ah, never mind. Huzzah!

Always an idea for future consideration.... I suspect however on this occasion the delay was due to the bank holiday rather than total oversight.

Richard Machowicz, who hosted the third and final series of Deadliest Warrior, has died from brain cancer at 51. If you've never watched Deadliest Warrior, you owe it to yourself, especially the "who would win in a fight between the IRA and the Taliban" episode.

• Like 1

Richard Machowicz, who hosted the third and final series of Deadliest Warrior, has died from brain cancer at 51. If you've never watched Deadliest Warrior, you owe it to yourself, especially the "who would win in a fight between the IRA and the Taliban" episode.

I remember channel hoping onto Somali Pirate v Columbian Cartel one day and thinking it was a bit surreal, but well done.

Been an incredibly quiet first few days to the year after the Christmas period. Has the grim reaper gone on his holidays? or is this the calm before the storm?

• Like 1

Tuned in specially :D

Shit programme, but, lol.

Om Puri has died from a heart attack at 66

Shame, he was rather good

If Pol Pots daughter had married him she's have been called Mrs Pot Puri !

• Like 2

So before the DDP goes live for the year - did anyone have him?

Why on earth have the BBC put dies in inverted commas?

Why on earth have the BBC put dies in inverted commas?

I infer that they don't have 100% trust in their source. Which is unusual, because they usually wait until they do have a trusted source.

Italian obit for Rafsanjani, Hope he does not resurrect tomorrow like it happened many times with Mojaddedi, Al Douri or Sattar Edhi.

http://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2017/01/08/news/e_morto_ex_presidente_rafsanjani-155633331/

Rita Chakravarti seems pretty damn sure on the BBC News Channel.

With him gone, maybe Khamenei can go next...

• Like 2

He's the first Iranian president to die. Before 1980 there were only prime ministers and the last one I remember died was Jamshid Amouzegar.