RadGuy

Thoughts On The 2017 List

Does anyone think we will struggle to break the record this year?

Well....

CATEGORY ONE: PROBABLE SLAM DUNKS

1. Tony Booth
  2. Leah Bracknell
  3. Gord Downie
  4. King Michael
  5. Errol Christie

CATEGORY TWO: ILL ENOUGH TO BE LIKELY (BUT CAPABLE OF SURVIVING THE YEAR)

1. Nobby Stiles
  2. Jill Gascoine
  3. Ian St John
  4. Former Pope Benedict XVI
  5. Bruce Forsyth
  6. Akihito
  7. Gay Byrne
  8. Glen Campbell
  9. Liz Dawn
  10. John Noakes
  11. Valerie Harper
  12. Joost van der Westhuizen
  13. Ian Brady

CATEGORY THREE: OLD BUT FRAIL

1. Vera Lynn
  2. Kirk Douglas
  3. Rev Billy Graham
  4. Peter Sallis
  5. Leslie Philips
  6. Fats Domino
  7. Mary Tyler Moore

CATEGORY FOUR: JUST OLD OR HEALTH UNKNOWN

1. Carrington
  2. Prince Philip
  3. Norden
  4. Cardin
  5. Stan Lee
  6. Olivia de Havilland
  7. Herman Wouk
  8. Bob Dole
  9. Jimmy Carter
  10. Robert Mugabe
  11. Javier Perez de Cuellar
  12. Lamotta
  13. Betty white
  14. Queen Elizabeth ii
  15. Bob barker
  16. Doug Ellis
  17. George Bush Sr
  18. Honor Blackman
  19. Hugh Hefner
  20. David Prowse
  21. Jerry Lewis
  22. David Rockefeller
  23. Sandy Gall
  24. Hosni Mubarak
  25. Desmond Tutu

The list ought to run the floor on Category One. Category Two is full of ripe pickings, the average Deathlist would take about 3 of them. Law of averages says another two-three of the long terms will go, as happens when we get so many. Which leaves Category 4, which is where most of the hits in recent years seem to have come from.

If you want an omen, the 2016 list had a single solitary Category One pick, and still got a dozen hits...

• Like 1

Pretty decent list. Seems that all the "big" names have already bit the dust.

My prediction is that the three "big" celebrity deaths in 2017 will be Bill Cosby, Burt Reynolds, and Val Kilmer. All of them are frail and in bad shape. Of course, i made the same prediction as last year...

Maybe I didn't articulate my thought in Joeyspeak so let me try again.

When 16 of your 50 names (1/3 basically) are 95 or older, it's an unimpressive lazy list that anyone could slap together in minutes. "Give me a list of the oldest living celebrities' and pick a bunch of the top 50. Only one missing is Jerry Maren and I think they simply were short-sighted. I expect SOME level of educated guessing by the committee. Instead I get a list any 6th grader with 2 hours and the Internet could fashion together. Those are the low hanging fruit, Joseph. I know YOU will be impressed when a bunch of real elderly people die (95-104), but I won't. "Boy did you see THAT---a 101 year old just died! They PREDICTED that shit!" Just cut/paste when the time comes Joey.

As for the remainder of the list it is cobbled together in general with reboots from the past two years, and most of them with little recent medical support. But by golly they're now 2 years older than the last time we posted their names with no medical reason and were totally wrong.

I get it...they post phat celeb names to drive clicks to the website. The thread asks my opinion what I think of that. I think the 2017 DL dreadfully lazy in content and effort. Just picking old people doesn't work. BTW why isn't Emma Morano on the list? Guess they chuckled at their list and figured they couldn't get THAT vulgar.

SirC

They probably think she won't die this year.

I think she falls into the only famous for being ill and dying rule. Have you ever seen the worlds oldest person on deathlist? Of course not.
She might not have been the World's Oldest Person, but Ruby Muhammad, purported supercentenarian ("Mother of the Nation of Islam") made one appearance ( https://deathlist.net/lists/2007 ) on the Deathlist, and even made it to the top 3.

The old girl ( https://forums.deathlist.net/topic/1230-ruby-muhammad/ ) was a notorious triple fail for the Deathlist since

1. She wasn't as old as she had claimed to be (she was born in 1907 according to census records; as opposed to her claim of 1897). In spite of this, Deathlist still has her age listed as 110 in 2007.

2. She didn't die in the year she was supposed to (2007), which is not that surprising since she was only becoming a centenarian (and not a supercentenarian) that year.

3. When she finally departed in 2011, she didn't get a QO; in fact, the quality of her death notice was so dodgy that some people questioned whether it was fake or genuine.

I think this was a useful lesson for the Deathlist and they will not include any supercentenarians in the future, since they are unlikely to meet the fame threshold. (They've even avoided the slightly more deathlisty ancient actresses like the late Lupita Tovar or Renée Simonot, who were [are] arguably famous in their own countries, but not in the eyes of the British public.)

• Like 1

Can we have a Prowse vs Rockefeller poll (predict the first David) and a Dole vs Barker poll (predict the first Bob)?

Can we have a Prowse vs Rockefeller poll (predict the first David) and a Dole vs Barker poll (predict the first Bob)?

As the character Prowse played once said, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Yes yes, I know James Earl Jones was the voice...

• Like 1

As the character Prowse played once said, "Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!"

Yes yes, I know James Earl Jones was the voice...

Only asking cause of the Douglas vs Kerkorian thing in 2015...

The "which DL name with one trait vaguely in common will die first" polls are best left in the past. Only good one was the Megrahi vs Gibb one especially since they both checked out on the same day.

• Like 5

Wondering what my Poetry Day poem will look like?

• Like 1

I was quite pleased to see the inclusions of Hosni Mubarak and Pope Benedict XVI. My delusions of grandeur tell me the people at deathlist saw my list last year and took inspiration from me!

A lot of people over 90 and 100, so I expect a lot of deaths and records to be broken.

I really hope we get zero deaths.

May this list stay a zero for the whole year.

This is one time I want to see a zero.

Please, please, please, stay at Zero.

I doubt that will happen though, with all the sick and old people on the list, but I pray that it does stay at zero.

I pray the Queen Survives. I'm very scared of her croaking. It's not like a 40 year old has a cold.

Every time I turn the news on, I'm scared of seeing that.

Well, with Soares' passing that's the first obvious miss of the year. A very easy pick, not picked by the committee.

Peter Sarstedt is another one who would have been a obvious pick.

Peter Sarstedt is another one who would have been a obvious pick.

Yes, I'm surprised they didn't pick him.

Soares, not so much.

Is it just me, or does it feel like most of the hits will happen in the later months?

Is it just me, or does it feel like most of the hits will happen in the later months?

January will probably pass without hits, but February certainly not.

• Like 1

A lot of people over 90 and 100, so I expect a lot of deaths and records to be broken.

I really hope we get zero deaths.

May this list stay a zero for the whole year.

This is one time I want to see a zero.

Please, please, please, stay at Zero.

I doubt that will happen though, with all the sick and old people on the list, but I pray that it does stay at zero.

I pray the Queen Survives. I'm very scared of her croaking. It's not like a 40 year old has a cold.

Every time I turn the news on, I'm scared of seeing that.

Just my opinion JT, but this may not be a good site for you.

• Like 10

OK if we are going to break the record then we need 15 hits.

Here are the 15 that I think most likely to do it for us.

1. Billy Graham
  2. Tony Booth
  3. Leah Bracknall
  4. Leslie Phillips
  5. Robert Mugabe
  6. King Michael of Romania
  7. Nobby Stiles
  8. Jill Gascoine
  9. George Bush Snr
  10. David Rockefeller
  11. Pope Benedict XVI
  12. Bruce Forsyth
  13. Desmond Tutu
  14. Joost van der Westhuizen
  15. Errol Christie

However in compiling that list my first draft contained twenty names so hoping for a good year.

There are three ladies who I am not sure are worthy of inclusion this year The Queen, Betty White and Honor Blackman.and there are four people whose illness trumps their fame (in my eyes) but I think we could see a good score.

• Like 1

1. Billy Graham
  2. Tony Booth
  3. Leah Bracknall
  4. Leslie Phillips
  5. Robert Mugabe
  7. Nobby Stiles
  8. Jill Gascoine
  9. George Bush Snr
  10. David Rockefeller
  11. Pope Benedict XVI
  12. Bruce Forsyth
  13. Desmond Tutu
  15. Errol Christie

However in compiling that list my first draft contained twenty names so hoping for a good year.

There are three ladies who I am not sure are worthy of inclusion this year The Queen, Betty White and Honor Blackman.and there are four people whose illness trumps their fame (in my eyes) but I think we could see a good score.

Well Mary Tyler Moors wasn't one of my fatal 15 so I think we should take that as a bonus.

• Like 2

I personally thought Mary Tyler Moore was one of the weakest entries on here. Turns out to be a brilliant decision. I wonder why she was kept on tbh, cause she seemed like a bad entry in the first place. Forum favorite possibly?

She was said to have advanced Alzheimer's, severe diabetes and other ailments. She went down at the bottom of the list and I guess they kept her without believing she would score. Just to make forum members not complain and not see her dead when she was not on the list.

Last year she was a delusion, this year a revelation.

• Like 1

1. Billy Graham
  2. Tony Booth
  3. Leah Bracknall
  4. Leslie Phillips
  5. Robert Mugabe
  7. Nobby Stiles
  8. Jill Gascoine
  9. George Bush Snr
  10. David Rockefeller
  11. Pope Benedict XVI
  12. Bruce Forsyth
  13. Desmond Tutu
  15. Errol Christie

No Gord Downie? He seems a dead cert by all the standards.

1. Billy Graham
  2. Tony Booth
  3. Leah Bracknall
  4. Leslie Phillips
  5. Robert Mugabe
  7. Nobby Stiles
  8. Jill Gascoine
  9. George Bush Snr
  10. David Rockefeller
  11. Pope Benedict XVI
  12. Bruce Forsyth
  13. Desmond Tutu
  15. Errol Christie

I kept myself to 15 as that is the record but I think he was one of the twenty that I dropped. One of the more ill than famous picks.

1. Billy Graham
  2. Tony Booth
  3. Leah Bracknall
  4. Leslie Phillips
  5. Robert Mugabe
  7. Nobby Stiles
  8. Jill Gascoine
  9. George Bush Snr
  10. David Rockefeller
  11. Pope Benedict XVI
  12. Bruce Forsyth
  13. Desmond Tutu
  15. Errol Christie

I kept myself to 15 as that is the record but I think he was one of the twenty that I dropped. One of the more ill than famous picks.

Christie is more ill than famous as well. Cheap picks which will contribute to a relatively huge score.

• Like 1

Yes this year's list definitely has a different feel to it than previous years, although it is hard for me to judge the fame (in England) of some of the low hanging fruit (Christie, Downie etc). Last year the list avoided "dead certs" such as Joey Feek and Rene Angelil presumably on the basis that they just weren't famous enough. I definitely see the record getting challenged this year. My prediction for the 15 hits are: Mary Tyler Moore, Errol Christie, Gord Downie, Gay Byrne, Valerie Harper, Bob Barker, Leah Bracknell, Tony Booth, Bruce Forsyth, Glen Campbell, King Michael, Joost vdW, George HW Bush, Olivia de Havilland and Billy Graham.

I don't see QEII or Phil the Greek dying this year. There was recent news about Jerry Lewis being very feisty with an interviewer so I'll bet on him seeing 2018.