RadGuy

Thoughts On The 2017 List

Welcome to our new French users, please stick around.

Does the order of the list actually matter though? Surely it's the people on the list that is the important thing? Or have I been misunderstanding it all these years?

• Like 2

Does the order of the list actually matter though? Surely it's the people on the list that is the important thing? Or have I been misunderstanding it all these years?

I always assumed they were ranked in order of likeliness to die.

Other than that, it is relevant because the top 20 get to go on the deathlist.net DDP team, and of course they put terminal King Michael at #21.

• Like 1

Other than that, it is relevant because the top 20 get to go on the deathlist.net DDP team, and of course they put terminal King Michael at #21.

Ah right, I hadn't actually noticed that, thanks :D

Yes, but do the DL Committee actually give the proverbial fuck about that? They don't actually submit a team, do they? I thought it was just that the DDP included it out of interest. But IMBW.

• Like 3

For me, it seemed the exact position was determined by an aggregate score factoring in both the likelihood of dying and deathlistiness (based on fame level, number of previous appearances, likeability etc.) E.g. Gord Downie might be just as or even more likely to die than anyone in the top 10, but his death is unlikely to be breaking newy on the Beeb (cf. Lizzy II)

Why would they even care about the DDP team? Obviously, theirs is not the team with the highest score potential, cause the fame threshold is a lot higher. (Young-ish cancer mums with a good story could be lucrative for a DDP team, but they would damage the site's reputation & relevance.)

Doesn't tmib just rip the DDP team out of the deathlist anyway, I highly doubt they actually send a team in.

• Like 1

I'm a bit dissappointed that Mario Soares isn't on it .He can't last much longer

• Like 1

Here is my prediction for hits:

12th January: Gord Downie

21st February: Peter Sallis

4th March: King Michael of Romania

28th March: Errol Christie

5th April: Nobby Stiles

14th May: Leah Bracknell

28th June: Tony Booth

14th July: Glen Campbell

28th August: Ian St. John

25th September: Javier Perez de Cuellar

21st October: Vera Lynn

11th November: Valerie Harper

17th November: George H. W. Bush

15th December: Robert Mugabe

28th December: Herman Wouk

15/50

Piss Christ, that was said with such an eerie degree of accuracy...have you got snipers marking these people?

Overall it's a pretty solid list, I'd be surprised if the tally wasn't at least in the high teens...I just can't help but think Queenie Liz has got years left in her though

• Like 1

I think Mary Wilson widow of British Prime minister Harold Wilson could prove to be a bit of an unnecessary miss.

Do people qualify for being on the list simply for being related to someone famous?

Some people were talking of including Roberta McCain, who at 104 is famous for being, what, the mother of a US presidential candidate? Mary Wilson is a similar case. Are they really famous in their own right to qualify for the list? Both have Wikipedia articles and McCain did some some help with campaigning and Wilson is a poet but there is nothing major that makes them stand out as particularly notable other than who they are related to.

If you could include them, why not include John Wetton's 101-year-old mother on the list? Where do you draw the line?

I suppose it's possible to contrast cases like that with relations who are obviously notable, like US First Ladies, who are always clearly deathlistable.

Overall it's a pretty solid list, I'd be surprised if the tally wasn't at least in the high teens...I just can't help but think Queenie Liz has got years left in her though

High teens? I thought young people were all about iPads and smartphones these days and didn't need drugs to amuse them.

I think Mary Wilson widow of British Prime minister Harold Wilson could prove to be a bit of an unnecessary miss.

Do people qualify for being on the list simply for being related to someone famous?

Some people were talking of including Roberta McCain, who at 104 is famous for being, what, the mother of a US presidential candidate? Mary Wilson is a similar case. Are they really famous in their own right to qualify for the list? Both have Wikipedia articles and McCain did some some help with campaigning and Wilson is a poet but there is nothing major that makes them stand out as particularly notable other than who they are related to.

If you could include them, why not include John Wetton's 101-year-old mother on the list? Where do you draw the line?

I suppose it's possible to contrast cases like that with relations who are obviously notable, like US First Ladies, who are always clearly deathlistable.

Mary Wilson is a reasonably successful poet to be fair.

Regarding your question though, I think yes. They'd get broadsheet obits and probable a back-end slot on the national news. A lot of them are politically active themselves anyway or have their own public presence in some description. For example Norma Johnson would qualify as an author and philanthropist and author. However I agree with the sentiment that there are probably far more concrete picks with cemented fame to take to the list.

Yes in my view SOME people do qualify in a very relatively small number of cases,

Rossalyn Carter, Barbara Bush, Cherie Blair, Samantha Cameron, Clarissa Eden, Mary Wilson, Sarah Brown, Dennis Thatcher, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush etc would be worthy of serious consideration for qualifying for being deathlisty in their own right as and when it looks like they may die within that year. For better or worse they've been part of the national life, national stage in their respective countries. I think Mary Wilson has a very interesting history in the context of UK politics and whilst in the UK we don't formalise the role of PMs spouse to my mind they effectively are the UK equilivent of first lady first husband etc.

Roberta McCain isn't deathlisty but she's a valid pick for individual players on their own teams. I think she's quite a moderate choice given the name's some people choose!

The issue of family members or spouses of the primary famous person being chosen for deathlists and choices on here seems to naturally self limit to a small number of people or choices so I'm not at all worried about it or concerned it will lead to a slippery slope deluge of people picking lots of famous people's family members.

Clive James and Mary Tyler Moore could go either way this year be surprised if they both make it to 2018. Joost is on overtime now this will be his year.

I see 6-7 VERY low hanging fruit and all I'll be 94+ yrs old. I don't see a single death from the bums under 90 they chose. A year I guarantee 10 deaths in my DDP 20, this is a weak class. Coulda done better.

SirC

You have Errol Christie on your team and you were wanting Glen Campbell on your team so bad, so your being hypocritical of yourself.
Christie = low hanging fruit

Maybe I didn't articulate my thought in Joeyspeak so let me try again.

When 16 of your 50 names (1/3 basically) are 95 or older, it's an unimpressive lazy list that anyone could slap together in minutes. "Give me a list of the oldest living celebrities' and pick a bunch of the top 50. Only one missing is Jerry Maren and I think they simply were short-sighted. I expect SOME level of educated guessing by the committee. Instead I get a list any 6th grader with 2 hours and the Internet could fashion together. Those are the low hanging fruit, Joseph. I know YOU will be impressed when a bunch of real elderly people die (95-104), but I won't. "Boy did you see THAT---a 101 year old just died! They PREDICTED that shit!" Just cut/paste when the time comes Joey.

As for the remainder of the list it is cobbled together in general with reboots from the past two years, and most of them with little recent medical support. But by golly they're now 2 years older than the last time we posted their names with no medical reason and were totally wrong.

I get it...they post phat celeb names to drive clicks to the website. The thread asks my opinion what I think of that. I think the 2017 DL dreadfully lazy in content and effort. Just picking old people doesn't work. BTW why isn't Emma Morano on the list? Guess they chuckled at their list and figured they couldn't get THAT vulgar.

SirC

I see 6-7 VERY low hanging fruit and all I'll be 94+ yrs old. I don't see a single death from the bums under 90 they chose. A year I guarantee 10 deaths in my DDP 20, this is a weak class. Coulda done better.

SirC

You have Errol Christie on your team and you were wanting Glen Campbell on your team so bad, so your being hypocritical of yourself.

When 16 of your 50 names (1/3 basically) are 95 or older, it's an unimpressive lazy list that anyone could slap together in minutes. "Give me a list of the oldest living celebrities' and pick a bunch of the top 50. Only one missing is Jerry Maren and I think they simply were short-sighted. I expect SOME level of educated guessing by the committee. Instead I get a list any 6th grader with 2 hours and the Internet could fashion together. Those are the low hanging fruit, Joseph. I know YOU will be impressed when a bunch of real elderly people die (95-104), but I won't. "Boy did you see THAT---a 101 year old just died! They PREDICTED that shit!" Just cut/paste when the time comes Joey.

As for the remainder of the list it is cobbled together in general with reboots from the past two years, and most of them with little recent medical support. But by golly they're now 2 years older than the last time we posted their names with no medical reason and were totally wrong.

I get it...they post phat celeb names to drive clicks to the website. The thread asks my opinion what I think of that. I think the 2017 DL dreadfully lazy in content and effort. Just picking old people doesn't work. BTW why isn't Emma Morano on the list? Guess they chuckled at their list and figured they couldn't get THAT vulgar.

SirC

They probably think she won't die this year.

SirC

SirC

-complains about the death list picking old people.

-asks why they didn't pick the oldest person on the planet.

• Like 2

SirC

SirC

They probably think she won't die this year.

I think she falls into the only famous for being ill and dying rule. Have you ever seen the worlds oldest person on deathlist? Of course not.
  • Like 2

Beyond the old favourites of the Committee, and the punt picks, a good 22 out of 50 are there on health reasons. Though as I point out whenever this comes up, the public face of the Committee - Mr Reaper - has openly admitted that he prefers the "out of nowhere" hits on old folk who were seemingly healthy. It's his list, not ours. If you wanted a list, you could submit one to the Crowdsourced Deathlist. It's not a perfect list, but it's highly democratic and there still tends to be a crossover.

• Like 1

Rose Kennedy was on the list in 1995 and Elizabeth Edwards made it on 2008 I believe.If I was in charge I would say only a leaders direct family are worthy of inclusion.Only world leaders though so I would say no to Roberta McCain but if Trump`s mother was still alive she would get on I suspect.It is a grey area.

SirC

SirC

Emma Morano is only famous for being very old and thus being likely to die soon

Does anyone think we will struggle to break the record this year?