Sir Creep

ALS/MND/other degenerative diseases

4 hours ago, Comped said:

He couldn't blink?

In his final days, no - MND is full on brutal, spares you nothing. 

• Like 1

Is MND more likely in sportsmen?

1 hour ago, Arsewipe said:

Is MND more likely in sportsmen?

From the various articles I've read, it is something like 15 or 20 times more likely in those who have played rugby in particular, and less elevated in certain footballers. I believe it has something to do with concussions more than heading the ball.

21 minutes ago, Comped said:

From the various articles I've read, it is something like 15 or 20 times more likely in those who have played rugby in particular, and less elevated in certain footballers. I believe it has something to do with concussions more than heading the ball.

And...if the person concerned is 5 foot 5 inches and regularly colliding with big guys up to and including those a full 12 inches taller...

Probably not a comfortable conversation to be having this week but doubtless someone will present that argument eventually

On 02/03/2023 at 21:10, arghton said:

Another politician with ALS is Torao Tokuda, had it for around a decade now if he hasn't died off-radar sometime recently.

Torao Tokuda (Japanese wiki page) is apparently still alive at 86 and undergoing treatment at the same Kamakura hospital where terrorist Satoshi Kirishima was arrested earlier this year. He has barely made any appearances since 2014, but I managed to find an image of him from 2019:

torao.png.7322e24ec5c6d1c0446af59020381f13.png

Diagnosed in 2002. Makes me wonder, are there slower variants or has he simply been very "lucky"?

21 minutes ago, arghton said:

Diagnosed in 2002. Makes me wonder, are there slower variants or has he simply been very "lucky"?

Two words.  Stephen Hawking.

Didn't know whether to put this here or on strange things on the internet thread but the lady who has done this has previously done some impressive work but I am not quite sure about this one

image.png.e7b97547d4f183e507cc81d9bb363c1e.png

Former England cricketer David (Syd) Lawrence, 60, has been diagnosed with MND

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cyrrz4xedmvo

• Sad 3

11 hours ago, wengeruk said:

Former England cricketer David (Syd) Lawrence, 60, has been diagnosed with MND

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cyrrz4xedmvo

Gutted to hear that. He was an inspirational player in his day for my county, who I remember watching during his county career. His career was also sadly cut short, as his life will be.

On 06/06/2024 at 15:06, arghton said:

Torao Tokuda (Japanese wiki page) is apparently still alive at 86 and undergoing treatment at the same Kamakura hospital where terrorist Satoshi Kirishima was arrested earlier this year. He has barely made any appearances since 2014, but I managed to find an image of him from 2019:

torao.png.7322e24ec5c6d1c0446af59020381f13.png

Torao Tokuda, Japanese former MP and founder of the Tokushukai Medical Group finally dead at 86.

steve gleason at the espy's last night, looked like someone who's been with als for 13 years. is he famous enough for 2025 dl?