Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Fellatio Nelson

The World of the Snowflake

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, torbrexbones said:

Statues being pulled down and streets up for renaming in this country all in the name of some black dude that was killed in America, these people were honoured for building this country into what it is today only to have their history rewritten because some snowflakes don't like the thought of them.

 

If blacks in America are so uptight about their history that they call themselves African American and don't like statues of the people that brought them to America then perhaps they should all just fuck off back to Africa.

 

That was a pretty frightful post.

 

Couple of things, firstly, do you think Edward Colston selling 65,000 black people into slavery (not counting the 19,000 that died on the way) is worthy of honour? And secondly, when you refer to the 'statuses of the people that brought them to America', does this status entitle them to crush black Americans' windpipes because they used fake change to buy a packet of fags?

 

You don't need to be a snowflake to work out these are wrong. Anyone who isn't a complete arsehole can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

 

That was a pretty frightful post.

 

Couple of things, firstly, do you think Edward Colston selling 65,000 black people into slavery (not counting the 19,000 that died on the way) is worthy of honour? And secondly, when you refer to the 'statuses of the people that brought them to America', does this status entitle them to crush black Americans' windpipes because they used fake change to buy a packet of fags?

 

You don't need to be a snowflake to work out these are wrong. Anyone who isn't a complete arsehole can.

But if you are more outraged by a statue than by companies that initiate slavery/child labour in this day and age then you're probably a hypocrite. Why is everyone complaining about a bloody statue? Oh yeah, because virtue signalling about it makes them feel morally superior.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

But if you are more outraged by a statue than by companies that initiate slavery/child labour in this day and age then you're probably a hypocrite. Why is everyone complaining about a bloody statue? Oh yeah, because virtue signalling about it makes them feel morally superior.

 

The statue isn't the problem. But the idea of any 'honour' being due to this appalling man is. I don't think people should carry on harping on about the statue; it was toppled, good, it's not being reset because we've realised Colston was a horrific figure, let's move on. To other related issues such as exploitative companies, as you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Quim Reaper said:

 

The statue isn't the problem. But the idea of any 'honour' being due to this appalling man is. I don't think people should carry on harping on about the statue; it was toppled, good, it's not being replaced because we've realised Colston was a horrific figure, let's move on. To other related issues such as exploitative companies, as you say.

But what I don't get is why people (especially twitter) are clearly more upset about a statue of a man who was into slavery than companies who still do it. Clearly proves that Britain is so 'racist' that you'll have to go back 100 years to find something you don't like about it when really we are one of the most diverse and generous countries in the world towards immigrants.

 

But if we REALLY didn't like slavery, why don't we try and push for it to be banned in the modern world? Instead of signing a petition to get the statue removed (which is pretty much just an issue of honouring a dead slaver) why don't we sign petitions on modern day slavery? I mean the left says they're woke but I bet most of them still consume big corporate brands like Nike with no second thought to the damage they are doing to the third world. Surely if we are talking slavery then that should be our main concern? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kenny McCormick said:

But what I don't get is why people (especially twitter) are clearly more upset about a statue of a man who was into slavery than companies who still do it. Clearly proves that Britain is so 'racist' that you'll have to go back 100 years to find something you don't like about it when really we are one of the most diverse and generous countries in the world towards immigrants.

 

But if we REALLY didn't like slavery, why don't we try and push for it to be banned in the modern world? Instead of signing a petition to get the statue removed (which is pretty much just an issue of honouring a dead slaver) why don't we sign petitions on modern day slavery? I mean the left says they're woke but I bet most of them still consume big corporate brands like Nike with no second thought to the damage they are doing to the third world. Surely if we are talking slavery then that should be our main concern? 

 

I mean I'll grant them, the fact that the statue was there for so long is a travesty. But that's retrospect. Dwelling on that will achieve the square root of fuck all now it's gone. There are other issues to think about now. You're right, modern slavery is a menace. What some people need to realise is that discrimination and exploitation of BAMEs is not just on-the-surface societal. Sure, that needs to be taken on, but the fact that, still, scant little attention is given to huge multinationals and their modern day slavery is shocking, quite frankly. But recognising this and trying to put a stop to it isn't a left/right thing. It's a decency thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Maybe they mean that, if they dared to do those types of sketches again, they would be vilified by sections of the public and would pretty much become persona non grata to an industry that had once feted them.

 Leigh Francis had to wring the tears out, I mean, how could he have been so insensitive and racist by lampooning Michael Jackson?:rolleyes:

 That has saved his career then.

 

 

 

They're both left wing activists in their spare time, so are likely to have been a bit queasy about the blacking up for the past few years - the current political situation has just pushed them to actually feel the need to do something. It seems to be their decision to take the shows off those platforms rather than the service providers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

 

They're both left wing activists in their spare time, so are likely to have been a bit queasy about the blacking up for the past few years - the current political situation has just pushed them to actually feel the need to do something. It seems to be their decision to take the shows off those platforms rather than the service providers

Oh, I dunno about that.

They were quite happy to black up and act the sketches they wrote, it isn't like they just had a lightbulb moment and realised that it was not a good idea to do it.

As is the case with Leigh Francis, a monumental amount of back pedalling has taken place and they are putting distance between their previous work and now.

This will placate the people who go mental on Twitter and throw bikes at Police horses, well they hope it will.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Oh, I dunno about that.

They were quite happy to black up and act the sketches they wrote, it isn't like they just had a lightbulb moment and realised that it was not a good idea to do it.

 As is the case with Leigh Francis, a monumental amount of back pedalling has taken place and they are putting distance between their previous work and now.

 This will placate the people who go mental on Twitter and throw bikes at Police horses, well they hope it will.

  

 

I'm not denying there's an element of SJW pandering to this, but I think they mean it when they say they wouldn't do it today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now "Gone with the wind" is removed from HBO max:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

 

I don't know.... this is missing the point. The consideration of the context is disappearing. "Little Britain" is satire, and in the words of Germany's greatest satirist Kurt Tucholsky "What is satire allowed to do? Everything." I mean, in that show, everyone gets their fair share.

 

And "Gone with the Wind"... well, it's schmaltzy drama. And maybe even more revealing than it wants to be. The historical facts are indisputable. The Southerners DO romanticize the whole slavery lifestyle. The Southern Pride/resistance immediately morphed into the Ku Klux Klan. And ironically, the spoiled southern belle Scarlet O'Hara ends up with nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Now "Gone with the wind" is removed from HBO max:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

 

I don't know.... this is missing the point. The consideration of the context is disappearing. "Little Britain" is satire, and in the words of Germany's greatest satirist Kurt Tucholsky "What is satire allowed to do? Everything." I mean, in that show, everyone gets their fair share.

 

And "Gone with the Wind"... well, it's schmaltzy drama. And maybe even more revealing than it wants to be. The historical facts are indisputable. The Southerners DO romanticize the whole slavery lifestyle. The Southern Pride/resistance immediately morphed into the Ku Klux Klan. And ironically, the spoiled southern belle Scarlet O'Hara ends up with nothing.

 

And it's also achieved the removal of the first black actress to win an Oscar :facepalm:

But they don't like to talk about that, because it was too long ago to suit the agenda.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

 

I'm not denying there's an element of SJW pandering to this, but I think they mean it when they say they wouldn't do it today. 

Oh they mean it but, honestly, do you SERIOUSLY think that they would have said it had there not have been the potential of a backlash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe Walliams has realised how shoddy his performance was especially in the later series. How he managed to get a drama degree I will never I know.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Now "Gone with the wind" is removed from HBO max:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-52990714

 

I don't know.... this is missing the point. The consideration of the context is disappearing. "Little Britain" is satire, and in the words of Germany's greatest satirist Kurt Tucholsky "What is satire allowed to do? Everything." I mean, in that show, everyone gets their fair share.

 

And "Gone with the Wind"... well, it's schmaltzy drama. And maybe even more revealing than it wants to be. The historical facts are indisputable. The Southerners DO romanticize the whole slavery lifestyle. The Southern Pride/resistance immediately morphed into the Ku Klux Klan. And ironically, the spoiled southern belle Scarlet O'Hara ends up with nothing.

 

I can't believe people are still getting upset over "damn" in 2020 :P

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Maybe they mean that, if they dared to do those types of sketches again, they would be vilified by sections of the public and would pretty much become persona non grata to an industry that had once feted them.

Leigh Francis had to wring the tears out, I mean, how could he have been so insensitive and racist by lampooning Michael Jackson?:rolleyes:

That has saved his career then.

 

 

Unpopular opinion but I genuinely don’t get why people are crying on about Bo Selecta.  He ripped it out of PEOPLE - not BLACK PEOPLE - PEOPLE. Lorraine Kelly isn’t black, Davina McCall isn’t black, David Blaine isn’t black.  Surely equality is about people not being treated less favourably because of race, sexuality, disability etc - nobody was treated less favourably on his show because they were black.  
 

As for the statues absolutely get rid of them, but is unlawfully tearing them down and then throwing them in a river really the best way? Yeh look at us we are so right on and peace and love and all that shit but we don’t mind killing a load of wildlife by chucking ten tons of bronze in the fucking Severn and then passing corona to our grannies because we went to a mass gathering to show how fucking righteous we are.   Twats. 
 

I can’t be doing with all this shit.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lard Bazaar said:

I can’t be doing with all this shit.

 

Nor me.  There's no way anyone will ever get me to apologise for things that were done by other people generations before I was born.

 

I'm pretty sure my generation was the first to grow up largely free from racial prejudice - we saw it around us, but we knew it was wrong.  We were taught that to call people 'black' was rude, and we were very careful not to offend.   In the years since then we've had the goalposts changed more times than I can count, we're branded as racists at every turn. 

 

I believe in equality,  the best person for the job should get the job, not to fill quotas because they're BAME, women, LGBT etc.

I don't see why people shouldn't dress up for fancy dress parties, it's about pretending to be someone else.

I think it's utterly ridiculous and unacceptable to suppress history and ban any reference to anything that's not "woke".

Fuck that shit.

They've actually succeeded in turning me into a bit of a racist through sheer resentment.  Great job.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Toast said:

 

Nor me.  There's no way anyone will ever get me to apologise for things that were done by other people generations before I was born.

 

I'm pretty sure my generation was the first to grow up largely free from racial prejudice - we saw it around us, but we knew it was wrong.  We were taught that to call people 'black' was rude, and we were very careful not to offend.   In the years since then we've had the goalposts changed more times than I can count, we're branded as racists at every turn. 

 

I believe in equality,  the best person for the job should get the job, not to fill quotas because they're BAME, women, LGBT etc.

I don't see why people shouldn't dress up for fancy dress parties, it's about pretending to be someone else.

I think it's utterly ridiculous and unacceptable to suppress history and ban any reference to anything that's not "woke".

Fuck that shit.

They've actually succeeded in turning me into a bit of a racist through sheer resentment.  Great job.

 

 

By what I am seeing, reading an talking to people, that is pretty true for a lot of people.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genius business decision by HBO/Warner Bros. Many consumers who otherwise wouldn't have are gonna buy the dvd or bluray of Gone With The Wind out of fear of the movies erasure from history. Now when their streaming service brings it back in a few months(which is the part of their decision people are glossing over) they will get a whole bunch of publicity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

League of Gentlemen's off Netflix too over Papa Lazaru. (Although I add here the creators say the character was never intended to be a black character, he's a demon...)

 

Although there was this bit in the Guardian bit on it:

 

Quote

The League of Gentlemen’s three series and specials are still on BBC iPlayer and the broadcaster confirmed there were no plans to remove it from the streaming service.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suppose Ali G will be wiped from history too.

 

c8TUwwN.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Toast said:

 

Nor me.  There's no way anyone will ever get me to apologise for things that were done by other people generations before I was born.

 

I'm pretty sure my generation was the first to grow up largely free from racial prejudice - we saw it around us, but we knew it was wrong.  We were taught that to call people 'black' was rude, and we were very careful not to offend.   In the years since then we've had the goalposts changed more times than I can count, we're branded as racists at every turn. 

 

I believe in equality,  the best person for the job should get the job, not to fill quotas because they're BAME, women, LGBT etc.

I don't see why people shouldn't dress up for fancy dress parties, it's about pretending to be someone else.

I think it's utterly ridiculous and unacceptable to suppress history and ban any reference to anything that's not "woke".

Fuck that shit.

They've actually succeeded in turning me into a bit of a racist through sheer resentment.  Great job.

 

 

My thoughts exactly.  Are you my long lost twin? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minority rules in the 21st century

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the part of the world where I live no-one cares about the rights of minorities, in fact every year it gets worse. A bit weird to see all this BLM stuff, my theory is that people have been going stir crazy on lockdown and it doesn't take much to set them off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over-zealous censorship aside, this thread’s getting more and more uncomfortable to read. That’s all I’m saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Toast said:

 

Nor me.  There's no way anyone will ever get me to apologise for things that were done by other people generations before I was born.

 

I'm pretty sure my generation was the first to grow up largely free from racial prejudice - we saw it around us, but we knew it was wrong.  We were taught that to call people 'black' was rude, and we were very careful not to offend.   In the years since then we've had the goalposts changed more times than I can count, we're branded as racists at every turn. 

 

I believe in equality,  the best person for the job should get the job, not to fill quotas because they're BAME, women, LGBT etc.

I don't see why people shouldn't dress up for fancy dress parties, it's about pretending to be someone else.

I think it's utterly ridiculous and unacceptable to suppress history and ban any reference to anything that's not "woke".

Fuck that shit.

They've actually succeeded in turning me into a bit of a racist through sheer resentment.  Great job.

 

 

 

Re bit I've bolded - I've actually arrived at the point where I don't even know what I am allowed to think or say any more.

 

I'd be surprised if the pyramids weren't built with a teeny weeny bit of slave labour.

 

The Coliseum still stands despite it being a venue for slaves fighting each other to death.

 

Where does it all end? Ben Elton's latest book pokes fun at this kind of retrospective judging of people and in it Samuel Pepys gets put on the Sexual Offenders Register, guilty by his own diary entries.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Over-zealous censorship aside, this thread’s getting more and more uncomfortable to read. That’s all I’m saying.

 

We all largely pottered along together quite happily for years, but something changed.   It seems to me that all this ill-feeling has been stirred up in recent years by a minority with extremist views, and rot is setting in.  People are being indoctrinated that all sorts of harmless things are "racist", when they are not.

Like the woman currently preaching on our community FB page.  She's lived here five minutes and she's patronisingly telling us that we're all racist without realising it, and she wants to help us be better people.  Just makes me want to punch her in the face next time I see her.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use