the_engineer

Ideas and Possibilities for 2020

On 14/11/2019 at 18:50, drol said:

In July I made a list of famous hospitalized people. I think only 3 on 7 (Gigi Simoni, Everton Weekes, Balbir Singh) are still going. I think it is time for a new list:

1)Lata Mangeshkar (1929): on life support with pneumonia and heart failure. Family insists she is recovering and her life is not in danger. Hospital says she will be discharged in  a few days. Usual Indian scheme. 

2)Daniel arap Moi (1924): Hospitalized for the third time in a month. Was on life support two weeks ago and reportedly wanted to be left at home to die. Obviously according to the family he has gone for the usual "routine check up". 

3)Jimmy Carter (1924): suffered fall and cerebral hemorrhage. Now hospitalized for indefinite time, but rapidly getting better according to close people. 

4)Balbir Singh (1924): again in hospital, for the third time in a year. He spent two weeks on life support last year and is suffering from congestive heart failure. No hints at a possible death from family, though. 

5)Pedro Pablo Kuczynski (1936): Peruvian crook/president, hospitalized for cardiac arrhythmia in ICU. The Fujimori way, all along. 

Moi has fully recovered and will be discharged in days. 

https://mobile.nation.co.ke/news/Daniel-arap-Moi-hospital-update/1950946-5361630-wtm8dez/index.html

George Clements, best known for becoming the first priest to adopt a child has has died at 87

Why not the Lady Pamela Hicks (watching The Crown right now, ughh)?

Earlier this year, she had forgotten which bank stored her jewellery:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/society/tradition/a26428767/india-hicks-lady-pamela-hicks-lost-jewelry-bank/

And if you read her daughter's latest instagram-...gram, you know that the Lady's 90-year old memory needs to be trained.... dementia?

• Like 1

Hi all! I'm new here and I'd like to suggest four names: Dick van Dyke (Dec 1925), Christopher Plummer (Dec 1929), Tony Bennett (Aug 1926) and Ennio Morricone (Nov 1928)

What do you think?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Spookygal said:

Hi all! I'm new here and I'd like to suggest four names: Dick van Dyke (Dec 1925), Christopher Plummer (Dec 1929), Tony Bennett (Aug 1926) and Ennio Morricone (Nov 1928)

What do you think?

No suggestion is needed for Dick van dyke and Tony Bennett, as both are already included in the official Deathlist for years.

Christopher Plummer and Ennio Morricone, both of whom I think are good recommendations. Big, well-known names, but at the moment both are still active and in good health.

• Like 1

I’m new here so here are my suggestions:

Terry Jones (Monty Python)

Peter Sutcliffe (Yorkshire Ripper)

Rose West (child killer)

Vince Cable (former Liberal Democrats leader)

Eric Clapton (musician)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Hannaesthetic said:

Rose West (child killer)

Eric Clapton (musician)

Posted a video on his own thread of a fairly chipper Clapton onstage with Hawkwind on Monday night - not even thinking of longlisting him for 2020 action

• Like 1

This is true but I don’t think he’s as fit as he makes out tbh. He’s looking a lot more clapped in than Clapton. 

Another possible person could be Ozzy, Sharon seems to be working him till he dies. 

1 hour ago, Hannaesthetic said:

Rose West (child killer)

Eric Clapton (musician)

Menzies Campbell will probably go before Vince Cable

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Menzies Campbell will probably go before Vince Cable

this is true. It’s more the fact Vince quit as leader rather suddenly it gave me pause for thought as his reasoning was because he wanted to spend more time with family :/

On 20 October 2019 at 16:12, Steve said:

Well I just for the hell of it I thought I would reveal my PROVISIONAL shadow list for 2020. I have put it here as I will put my official 2020 shadow list in that category in late December.                                         1) George Alagiah, 2) Alex Trebek, 3) Beverly Cleary, 4) Clarissa Eden, 5) Pearl Carr, 6) Robert Fyfe, 7) Bob Barker, 8) Henry Kissinger, 9) Bob Dole, 10) Leslie Phillips, 11) Stirling Moss, 12) Jill Gascoine, 13) Vera Lynn, 14) Sam Lloyd, 15) Sumner Redstone, 16) Clive James, 17) Nobby Stiles, 18) Little Richard, 19) Javier Perez de Cueller, 20) Peter Sutcliffe, 21) Norman Tebbit, 22) Ruth Bader Ginsberg, 23) Pierre Cardin, 24) Barbara Windsor, 25) Olivia Newton John, 26) Prunella Scales, 27) Jimmy Greaves, 28) Nicholas Parsons, 29) Gene Hackman, 30) Loretta Lynn, 31) Debra Paget, 32) Thelma Barlow, 33) Max von Sydow, 34) Willie Nelson, 35) Roberta McCain, 36) William Frankland, 37) Joanne Woodward, 38) Jean Louis Trintignant, 39) Stanley Baxter, 40) Larry King, 41) Barbara Walters, 42) Tony Britton, 43) Billy Connolly, 44) Rhonda Fleming, 45) Bill Turnbull, 46) Joan Bakewell, 47) Joss Ackland, 48) Geoffrey Palmer, 49) Honor Blackman, 50) David Prowse

I am going to replace 16) Clive James with Jean Boht (Mrs Boswell in the classic sitcom Bread 

My couple of subs are going to be Don Everly, (brother Phil passed away back in January 2014) and Ian Holm 

Speaker of the House of Commons Lindsay Hoyle's dad Doug Hoyle is a peer and former MP. There is some confusion over whether he'll be 90 or 94 in February.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steve said:

My couple of subs are going to be Don Everly, (brother Phil passed away back in January 2014) and Ian Holm 

Ian Holm is quite frail. I think the other Everly brother is fine. What about Little Richard instead?

46 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Speaker of the House of Commons Lindsay Hoyle's dad Doug Hoyle is a peer and former MP. There is some confusion over whether he'll be 90 or 94 in February.

Born 1926 as per the birth index.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ian Holm is quite frail. I think the other Everly brother is fine. What about Little Richard instead?

Hi Ulitzer95 I appreciate your comments and welcome your alternative suggestion. I think I will keep my original suggestion on this occasion as a bit of a wildcard entry as every year there is always a death that catches us all by surprise. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Steve said:

Hi Ulitzer95 I appreciate your comments and welcome your alternative suggestion. I think I will keep my original suggestion on this occasion as a bit of a wildcard entry as every year there is always a death that catches us all by surprise. 

I recently watched Ian Holm feature brilliantly as Heinrich Himmler

in the 1978 tv mini-series Holocaust with Meryl Streep, James Woods, Michael Moriarty, Tony Haygarth (deceased March 2017). 

Trevor Peacock (Jim from The Vicar of Dibley) has had dementia since 2009 and in the last couple of years it's reportedly become pretty advanced. Think he's a worthy punt.

Christopher Tolkien

• Like 3

This guy, Eric Tien, is pretty much an unknown, but if he sticks with his climate change hunger strike to the bitter end, he just might get a QO. 

My hunger strike could be deadly. But I am willing to risk that for climate action

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/nov/27/hunger-strike-climate-action-extinction-rebellion?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Jose Santa Cruz

The trainer and father of WBA Featherweight Champ Leo Santa Cruz . He is currently facing a battle with bone marrow cancer

Betty White- 98

Eva Marie Saint- 96

Norman Lear- 98

Norman Lloyd- 106

Roberta McCain- 108

Sidney Poitier- 93

Queen Elizabeth- 94

Prince Philip- 99

Alex Trebek- 80

Jimmy Carter- 96

Rosalynn Carter- 93

Kirk Douglas- 104

Olivia De Havilland- 104

Bob Dole- 97

Henry Kissinger- 97

Anne Buydens Douglas- 101

Tony Bennett- 94

Mel Brooks- 94

Bob Barker- 97

Angela Lansbury- 95

Harry Belafonte- 93

Cicely Tyson- 96

David Attenborough- 94

Carl Reiner- 98

Cloris Leachman- 94

Liza Minnelli- 74

Glynis Johns- 97

• Like 1

Eileen Ash  (nee Whelan) [108- oldest ever test cricketer], John Manners (105 - oldest ever first class cricketer & only surviving first class cricketer to play before WW2), John Woodcock (93 - cricket journalist whose father was born in 1857 & whose paternal grandfather was born before the Battle of Waterloo), Sheila Mercer (100 - former Emmerdale actress & sister of Brian Rix),  June Spencer (100 - actress in The Archers), Clarissa Eden (widow of a former prime minister), Michael Medwin (96 & actor & boss of Trevor Eve in Shoestring), Glynis Johns (96 & Mrs Banks in Mary Poppins  but too frail for a cameo in the recent Mary Poppins film), Tony Britton(95 - actor), Peregrine Worsthorne ( 96 next month & former editor, journalist & political commentator - esp on election nights), Wally Fawkes (artist of Flook for 35 years in Daily Mail & then in Daily Mirror, Christopher Tolkein (94 & author), Desmond Morris (91 & naturalist), Doreen Mantle (93 & actress).

• Like 1

My provisional shadow list:

1)Vera Lynn

2)Olivia de Havilland

3) Kirk Douglas

4)Pierre Cardin

5)Nobby Stiles

6)Prince Philip

7)Leslie Phillips 

8)Javier Perez de Cuellar

9)Murray Walker

10) Bob Dole

11)Jill Gascoine

12)Pope Benedict

13)George Alagiah

14)Everton Weekes

15)John Hume

16)Larry King

17)Ruth Bader Ginsberg

18)Nicholas Parsons

19)Trevor Peacock

20)Bill Turnbull

21)Stirling Moss

22)Stanley Baxter

23)Mikhail Gorbachev 

24)Sheila Mercier

24)Alex Trebek

25)Glynis Johns

26)Betty White

27)Prunella Scales

28)June Brown

29)Barbara Walters

30)Terry Jones

31)James Randi

32)Harry Belafonte

33)Sidney Poitier

34)Bob Barker

35)Mel Brooks

36)Jean Marie Le Pen

37)Sean Connery

38)Little Richard

39)Jimmy Greaves

40)Sandy Gall

41)Paul Gascoigne

42)Gianluca Vialli

43)Dick van Dyke

44)Angela Lansbury

45)Tony Bennett

46)David Gulpilil

47)Stevie Wonder

48)Bernard Tapie

49)Frankie Banali

50)Genesis P Orridge

Fair amount of 2019 names returning names and fresh blood.