paddyfool

Coronavirus death toll 2020

Coronavirus death toll 2020  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 minutes ago, Boudicca said:

These are interesting times right enough. Seems some Imperialist tried to attack a hospital ship.... using a train.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/engineer-allegedly-crash-train-usns-mercy-los-angeles/story%3fid=69926172

More like this please, America. 

1835336436_Screenshot2020-04-02at14_46_34.thumb.png.e5f39fd5aae5cae4df098ff3cd3a30cd.png

Fuck sake @the_engineer

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Quim Reaper said:

1835336436_Screenshot2020-04-02at14_46_34.thumb.png.e5f39fd5aae5cae4df098ff3cd3a30cd.png

Fuck sake @the_engineer

I just hate bed blockers .

• Haha 3

Where are UK residents getting up-to-date statistics on confirmed cases,  recoveries and deaths? The websites I use show no change in recoveries since 23 March 2020: 135.

On 02/04/2020 at 09:40, paddyfool said:

RE the various predictions of how many deaths we'll see worldwide this year - currently, the world is seeing about 5000 confirmed Covid19 deaths per day (and rising).  If this was to continue to be the average for the rest of the year, we'd see 1.37 million Covid19 deaths this year.  (Obviously, we'd expect it to climb and then fall, but what the peak and trough values will be, and when we'll arrive at each, is very much still to be decided).  My range of estimates for the worldwide confirmed figure would go from a headily optimistic figure of about 250,000 (if we peak very soon and then drop to well below the current rate for the rest of the year, i.e. if much of the rest of the world follows a similar pattern to China) to 2 .5 million (if we end up averaging nearly 10k per day for the rest of the year) at this point, with a mid-range estimate of about 1 million (which could happen if  we peak within the next month and then daily worldwide deaths drop to rather less than their current level for the rest of the year, i.e. an average of just under 4000 deaths per day for the rest of the year overall).  

I'd like to change my upper end estimate.  Looking again at the worst national mortality figures (from san Marino, of 884 per million people now); if the world average figure climbed to this level, we'd see 6.2 million deaths worldwide.

Therefore I'd like to change my range of outcomes for likely total global covid mortality to a range of 250,000 to 6.5 million.  My midrange prediction stays the same, at about 1 million (partly because many covid 19 deaths will never be confirmed as such). 

What is the percentage of African-American victims in the US? Reading obits I get the (false?) vibe it's higher than their percentage of overall population (yeah, you could argue Louisiana and other places have a far higher percentage, but don't get too sophisticated).

2 hours ago, drol said:

What is the percentage of African-American victims in the US? Reading obits I get the (false?) vibe it's higher than their percentage of overall population (yeah, you could argue Louisiana and other places have a far higher percentage, but don't get too sophisticated).

First thoughts might be that there is a higher prevalence of underlying conditions in this group, but it doesn't seem clear cut. Blacks have a higher prevalence  of diabetes, but whites best them in terms of lung disease and cancer.  

Study findings highlight racial/ethnic differences among the leading causes of death but present a more complicated pattern than one of straightforward group disparities. We found greater racial/ethnic differences in prevalence of single chronic disorders than in multiple disorders emphasizing the importance of public health strategies to prevent the first disease. To prevent the complexity of multimorbidity, additional efforts might target people with a single disease. Non-Hispanic black and Hispanic adults had a high prevalence of diabetes, both alone and combined with CVD. Non-Hispanic whites had nearly twice the age-specific prevalence of cancer without other chronic conditions, and non-Hispanic whites had the highest prevalence of chronic lung disease, both as a single condition and combined with CVD. Across the racial/ethnic groups, disease dyads and triads may evolve through different pathways. The existence of distinct racial/ethnic patterns should be considered in the HHS framework to prevent and address multimorbidity.

• Like 1

Could Vitamin D be a factor?  About 2m08 he talks about skin colour and that darker skin produces less Vitamin D. 

That Vitamin D and immunity video by Dr John Campbell I've mentioned and shared elsewhere.  I

A tangential anecdote: three years ago I had a hard growth on my facial birthmark by my ear. A dermatologist worried it could be melanoma. A plastic surgeon removed the birthmark & growth, and it turned out to be osteoma cutis, which is not a blues singer or zydeco performer. The plastic surgeon told me that people who remain in their latitude, geographically speaking, don't tend to get melanoma. The darker-skinned people in my latitude do need more Vitamin D3 than the melanin-lacking pasty-face white European-ancestry types like me. i wouldn't be at a risk for melanoma in Seattle if my genetic ancestry is concentrated on the 47th parallel. The Somali and Eritreans who came to Seattle, they are more at risk of melanoma,  in winter old people, and others with my skin tone are prone to Vitamin D3 deficiency.

(I have since moved back to North 49,  only the Covid-19 pandemic has me taking more Vitamin D3 than usual in April) 

I think we'll need to see the death rate or catch rate coming out of New York, LA and Chicago, as all have a high population of African American's and/or Hispanic/Latinos. Same with other parts of US which have high populations.

Researchers are certainly not going to get bored over the coming years on what to study.

• Like 1

I keep checking my local funeral home’s website. And every time I check I see another obituary posted for someone I’ve seen or heard about or a family member for someone I know. In normal times, there would be about three obituaries posted a week. But, now there about 3-5 obituaries posted a day. Granted I don’t which ones died from the Coronavirus or another cause. Kinda depressing.

• Sad 2

27 minutes ago, DeathClock said:

I keep checking my local funeral home’s website. And every time I check I see another obituary posted for someone I’ve seen or heard about or a family member for someone I know. In normal times, there would be about three obituaries posted a week. But, now there about 3-5 obituaries posted a day. Granted I don’t which ones died from the Coronavirus or another cause. Kinda depressing.

Unless you run the funeral home.

BlVnrxJgTGsUw.gif

A little late but it's just struck me that Eddie Large is the first coronavirus victim that is also a victim of The Curse Of HMHB.

So let me see if I have this right: 

If we sneeze or cough, we are supposed to do it into our elbow.

If we meet someone, we aren't supposed to shake hands, we are supposed to bump.......elbows?

ElbowCough_000011189334Medium.jpg

ZApq2yqkCj0Bo3NrDG.gif

3 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

If we meet someone, we aren't supposed to shake hands, we are supposed to bump.......elbows?

ZApq2yqkCj0Bo3NrDG.gif

Only if your elbows are 2 metres or longer.

5 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

Unless you run the funeral home

I live across from a funeral home. The temptation to ask it how business is mounts.

• Haha 2

Well I did tell you everything would start to get better this week and it looks like I am going to be totally right on this. 

On 04/04/2020 at 13:49, drol said:

Apparently it's devastating African American communities. Vast majority of deaths in alot of areas.

https://m.metrotimes.com/news-hits/archives/2020/04/02/black-people-make-up-12-of-michigans-population-and-at-least-40-of-its-coronavirus-deaths

EUn1-LDX0AcdmPv.thumb.jpeg.76944b2080ce6088ac298bbf72e18959.jpeg

https://www.propublica.org/article/early-data-shows-african-americans-have-contracted-and-died-of-coronavirus-at-an-alarming-rate/amp?__twitter_impression=true

https://www.wbez.org/shows/wbez-news/in-chicago-70-of-covid19-deaths-are-black/dd3f295f-445e-4e38-b37f-a1503782b507/amp?__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, Steve said:

Well I did tell you everything would start to get better this week and it looks like I am going to be totally right on this. 

Not really, there has been a dip on Sundays due to delays in reporting deaths, it will rise again come Monday/Tuesday. 

20 hours ago, Skinny kiltrunner said:

ElbowCough_000011189334Medium.jpg

ZApq2yqkCj0Bo3NrDG.gif

So what the fuck are people with Thalidomide supposed to do?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Taxi for LFN - to HELL!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Stump bump.

On 03/04/2020 at 00:03, Torva Messor said:

Where are UK residents getting up-to-date statistics on confirmed cases,  recoveries and deaths? The websites I use show no change in recoveries since 23 March 2020: 135.

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. Likewise the Netherlands has been stuck on 250 for a while. A number of other countries - Portugal, Norway, Ireland and Australia for instance, have ridiculously low 'recovered' figures, which in turn has skewed the supposed death rate up to an artificial 21%. 

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

Yeah, I've been wondering about that too. Likewise the Netherlands has been stuck on 250 for a while. A number of other countries - Portugal, Norway, Ireland and Australia for instance, have ridiculously low 'recovered' figures, which in turn has skewed the supposed death rate up to an artificial 21%. 

Can't speak for those countries. But in Denmark, we don't test people again to see if they recovered. Our 'policy' is: If you get tested positive and don't die within a month, we'll add you to the recovered list.

Looks like we're also breaking the curve here. Decline in infected and people needing respirators. Also we finally went under 10 deaths again. 8 to be precise after 1 week + with 10 or more deaths.