The Old Crem

35. Esther Rantzen

" indefatigable octogenarian"

Try saying that after a few pints.

• Haha 2

Speaks to the Guardian wading into the Layton Williams controversy.Nothing about her health but shows she is still on the ball and able to speak with journalists at least by email.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/12/15/esther-rantzen-layton-williams-strictly-come-dancing/?utm_content=entertainment&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR2YEttGojHi7mLYKk54uYX6Vh0p2xJPoxgrjN69rBdNTm2_DNV0_hAakng#Echobox=1702667868-2

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

Speaks to the Guardian wading into the Layton Williams controversy.Nothing about her health but shows she is still on the ball and able to speak with journalists at least by email.

I dispute that "still". :D

• Haha 1

Just posting here to stop people seeing Thatcher being the latest post and making that assumption.

• Like 3
  • Haha 10

4 minutes ago, TQR said:

Just posting here to stop people seeing Thatcher being the last post on here and making that assumption.

Every time I see a thread like this updated at this time of year I make 'that assumption' and just start thinking to myself why couldn't they have waited a few more weeks.

• Like 6

Front page in the Daily Mirror, Daily Express, Daily Mail and The Telegraph tomorrow, main points being:

- she didn’t expect to make this Christmas;

- she has a scan due in a few weeks to see if her medication is having any effect;

- if said medication isn’t working, she wants to go down the assisted dying route.

Nothing particularly new, bar the detail of the scan in the next few weeks and contextualising that into her previously announced joining of Dignitas.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Front page in a couple of papers tomorrow, main points being:

- she didn’t expect to make this Christmas;

- she has a scan due in a few weeks to see if her medication is having any effect;

- if said medication isn’t working, she wants to go down the assisted dying route.

Tried to embed a countdown to new year clock but I can't! Ah well - two weeks to go!

Attention seeker.

Dignitas executions gain the unnatural death bonus, right?

Remember that Terry Pratchett spent quite a lot of time talking about assisted dying and ended up dying at home surrounded by his cats.

I am disappointed that Esther has taken this particular stance because I am sure her work with Silverline would have introduced her to many people who could be put under subtle pressure by families to 'do what is for the best'

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Remember that Terry Pratchett spent quite a lot of time talking about assisted dying and ended up dying at home surrounded by his cats.

I am disappointed that Esther has taken this particular stance because I am sure her work with Silverline would have introduced her to many people who could be put under subtle pressure by families to 'do what is for the best'

Pratchett's dementia turned out to be much slower than he had feared and iirc he wound up dying of pneumonia or a similar complication before it got really bad.

Esther's gonna Esther, you know.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Pratchett's dementia turned out to be much slower than he had feared and iirc he wound up dying of pneumonia or a similar complication before it got really bad.

Esther's gonna Esther, you know.

Scream if you wanna go Esther

5 hours ago, harrymcnallysblueandwhitearmy said:

I’ll assist her, free of charge.

I would but it's more than my job's worth.

• Haha 2

On 16/12/2023 at 07:59, Thatcher said:

Daily Mail article about her possible last Christmas.

Whenever an attention-seeking celeb says it's their last Christmas, it's pretty sure they'll still be around next Christmas.

See also Jonnie Irwin and James Whale.

2 hours ago, Youth in Asia said:

Whenever an attention-seeking celeb says it's their last Christmas, it's pretty sure they'll still be around next Christmas.

Add Linda Nolan who said the same thing in 2020!

On 19/12/2023 at 16:57, Youth in Asia said:

It's called Whamageddon

Which is ironic since George Michael died on Christmas Day 

• Like 1