Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2024

26 minutes ago, drunkasaskunk said:

No uniques in my main team - "Drunkasaskunk"

Nine uniques in my "Desert Island Deaths" team (all picks have been the castaway on BBC Radio 4's Desert Island Discs) 

Eleven uniques on my Scottish born "Jocks Away" team

It appears my dropping Tommy McGoran from the Oldies team late in December has made him unique for Jocks Away. Nice. 

• Like 2

Happy that Mary Marquis, Scotland's answer to Barbara Walters, is a unique for me. Barbara Walters if she retired before doing 20/20, that is. There are a few other uniques you would think were classy if you didn't know I found them via "hoax" and "false" searchwords.

6 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Happy that Mary Marquis, Scotland's answer to Barbara Walters, is a unique for me. Barbara Walters if she retired before doing 20/20, that is. There are a few other uniques you would think were classy if you didn't know I found them via "hoax" and "false" searchwords.

I dropped her from last years JOCKS AWAY team

• Like 1

José Maria Marin (wiki), former brazilian politician and Fifa corruptor is a solo pick for my main team. Recently hospitalized after having suffered a stroke aged 91. Will probably obit as there is plenty of articles about his jail sentence a few years ago. 

Overall I'm not too surprised with my lists.Got one unique on the main team again as predicted and a fair few in  No More Expenses ( had hoped for more) .Got irritatingly close to getting 5 Drop 40 picks on Slippery Soap instead of 3 but managed to get 3 uniques.

I also got most of the big calls right for the Drop 40 and think although unlikely to match my personal best of 14th place I will do a lot better than last year.

Most surprising unique I got was Judy Loe. Also surprised Ken Livingstone was almost unique.Also surprised Beccy Barr was only picked by myself and 2 others.Julie Goodyear also picked up less traction than I expected.Same with the Duke of Kent who as stated above has been mixed up with the other Prince Edward.

Jimmy Carter though! 222 picks.It was never in doubt he would be the top of the Drop 40 but damn.

Also sad to see "Cashier Number (insert age) Please " based on 1930 births not reappear after 12 years I think.Always found that list interesting to read every year.

Anyway thanks to the hosts as always for the time and dedication they take to run this game.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Just to make note of drop 40 changes 

DROPS

Rhod Gilbert

Kate Keltie

Vladimir Putin

Janey Godley

Randy Jackson

NEW (inc. re-entries)

Esther Rantzen
Derek Draper
Bruce Willis
Michael Tilson Thomas
Theo Burrell
Noam Chomsky

Patrick Murray

Toby Keith

Denis Law

Clint Eastwood

Phil Collins

Franz Beckenbauer
Ozzy Osbourne

Bob Newhart

Pope Francis

I'm very much surprised that Andy Taylor has managed to not just cling on but only drop from 12th to 19th.

Yeah I figured Taylor would be on the Drop 40 but much lower.He was the easiest Drop on my main list and the second easiest overall after Kate Keltie for me.

• Like 2

Seventeen uniques on my Theme team though I  suspect the other person who picked Clive Barker will be more annoyed as he was their Joker.

Eleven uniques on Unusual Suspects which is lower than I got last year.

14 hours ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Just a quick look through has established if Id kept Elspeth Ballantyne I would have had 60 uniques. I was convinced once I used her name and let the cat out of the bag shed never be unique again! Drat lol!

Reminder a while ago you pointed out to me that some of my Oldies/Dr Who team picks are blatantly only go to be hits if I pick them, like Dick Taverne for example.

You have a fair few of these yourself!

On another note, Lizzy Musi picked by two people, me and some randomer.

Kathy Brown is on so few teams that if they weren't contenders I'd be worried.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Reminder a while ago you pointed out to me that some of my Oldies/Dr Who team picks are blatantly only go to be hits if I pick them, like Dick Taverne for example.

You have a fair few of these yourself!

On another note, Lizzy Musi picked by two people, me and some randomer.

Kathy Brown is on so few teams that if they weren't contenders I'd be worried.

Yes  I remember and I should have listened to you and took it on board  fully!

I did sort of try to heed the advice of @YoungWillz about picking some names again and retaining them to avoid them  going as misses on list of the lost and your advice that some of my unique picks are extremely unlikely to be picked up by other players.  Hence the reinclusion of June Kenton,  Alison Halford,  Susan Howard etc but I clearly did not go far enough!

I just hope the enema doesn't do what it did last year and rub my nose in it by killing of lots of my drops and putting them in the list of the lost hall of fame!

• Like 1

Only one unique pick for my main team, but it's a Yahoo obit lock in "hospice". So quite the success. But then it's being "in hospice care" with advanced Parkinson's and Steve McCoy is only in his 60s. So maybe I'm a little overconfident in his passing. I guess we'll see.

I am somewhat disappointed that my former Love Boat pick Andrea Gibson is still unique. Now, she's apparently not much closer to dying as she was a year ago, but I expected at least some Diana Rots-ing of her.

I am totally stunned that Aussie rugby pick Toni Hunt is unique. Her cancer came back just a week after remission. If I had known, I might have main team-ed her. I'm also stunned that activist Harry Edwards is unique. Completely unexpected.

However, I am very proud that classy pick Jan AP Kaczmarek is a unique pick for me. He's in very ill health and a fairly likely hit.

• Like 2

I can’t find my team do I send it again or do I have to fix some things?

(my team name is Peter Falk’s Friends)

Noticed that there are duplicate Geoffrey Boycotts & Judy Sheindlins.

Well done everyone, looking good.

Now this is absolutely my own mistake so if you want to let it stand, but the Fiona Castle I meant was this one (Roy Castle's widow)

Fiona Castle - Wikipedia

8 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Wonderful work thanks ! Is it normal that both my main theme (La Faucheuse) and my french theme team (A la vie, à la mort) appeared « first year in DDP » Whereas they were there last year, I just changed the names 

Yeah, when I changed my team name after the first year it reset to ‘first year’; mine says year 3 rather than 4. In the grand scheme of things it’s minor enough to let it slide, unless you’ve got a good ‘best performance’ stat you want to preserve.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Seventeen uniques on my Theme team though I  suspect the other person who picked Clive Barker will be more annoyed as he was their Joker.

Eleven uniques on Unusual Suspects which is lower than I got last year.

That's me. Sorry. 

Also sorry to @time as we always seem to scupper each other's uniques, this time with George Innes.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

One unique for Beat The Cost Of Living… … in Indarjit Singh. Surprised I even got that tbh. He’s in his 90s though so not exactly a shitload of points in him.

My Daves have 11 and A Chris Goodbye on its second outing has 10 (De Burgh, de Kirchner, Hynde, Lacroix, Luft, Montez, Sarandon, Slade, Stainton and my joker Spedding), which I’m pretty happy with.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Looking through my lists for ones that don't have images - should I send them to you when I have em @Death Impends or someone else?

Eddie Annands description is false.He has glioblastoma not one of the less aggressive terminal brain cancers.

2 hours ago, Insane said:

I can’t find my team do I send it again or do I have to fix some things?

(my team name is Peter Falk’s Friends)

??

On 06/12/2023 at 18:54, Grim Up North said:

Great stuff.

However we (well more correctly the Derby Dead Pool) have a funding issue.

Fot the last 4 (?) years I have been taking advantage of my company’s lax credit card controls to allow the website hosting fees to go through my work - it’s about £25/‘month so £300 a year (roughly it varies month to month not sure why).

Unfortunately we’re in the middle of a crackdown due to some idiot taking the piss on a grand scale and so I can’t get away with this any more.

So I need to stop the payment - question is what happens then?

Sorry, your current sponsor, GUN

Just out of interest, in case I missed anything, how did this resolve?

• Facepalm 1

My main team, Plausible Passings of 2024, looks like it made it in OK, except for my selection of Prince Edward the Duke of Kent, which was filed under Prince Edward, the younger brother of the king. Re-checking my spreadsheet, it looks like I entered the phrases Prince Edward and Duke of Kent in the wrong order vs. the DDP listing, so my apologies for the mistake. (Though the fact that the younger Edward is currently listed on 5x as many teams as the older one suggests mine was not the only lost Duke of Kent pick.)

I'm also unable to find my theme team, Six Feet Under the Dome.

Frankly, I'm astounded that Gauger actually made it into the final line-up.