Death list boy

1. Jimmy Carter

21 minutes ago, arghton said:

Grandson interviewed.

(After your elimination, you gave a very moving speech about your grandfather, revealing to the group that he'd recently been put in hospice care. Have you been able to visit him since filming?)

It's been harder and harder to see him. My mom spends a lot of her time with him. She spends almost half her time taking care of him at this point just because of things like COVID regulations. So it's really family oriented. I haven't been seeing him as much recently, but he knows that I love him and we're supporting him through this time.

(How is he doing?)

He's pretty sick. He still does use his brain. He listens to audiobooks. He's a genius. He's super smart. I love him. He always wants to be doing something with his mind, so he's trying to keep himself busy, but he is really sick and getting older.

(It was also made public since the show that your grandmother, Rosalynn Carter, has been battling dementia. How is she doing?)

I just want to say that she's an amazing woman. She's put in so much work in her life. She's done things for mental health. I want everyone to know how incredibly important and beautiful she is as a person and a grandma. Yeah, she does have dementia and when I see her, she does forget what's going on sometimes, but when she remembers it's amazing. I love her.

Nothing new then ? Except that he is really sick which they didn’t clearly said at first. Will he make it to september ?

• Like 6

You have to be really sick to be put on hospice care in the first place.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Nothing new then ? Except that he is really sick which they didn’t clearly said at first. Will he make it to september ?

Probably.Sounds like he is still alert.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

As per it just sounds as if he could slip away in his sleep tomorrow or in six months time.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

As per it just sounds as if he could slip away in his sleep tomorrow or in six months time.

Still make a better president than Trump, mind

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, arghton said:

Grandson interviewed.

(After your elimination, you gave a very moving speech about your grandfather, revealing to the group that he'd recently been put in hospice care. Have you been able to visit him since filming?)

It's been harder and harder to see him. My mom spends a lot of her time with him. She spends almost half her time taking care of him at this point just because of things like COVID regulations. So it's really family oriented. I haven't been seeing him as much recently, but he knows that I love him and we're supporting him through this time.

(How is he doing?)

He's pretty sick. He still does use his brain. He listens to audiobooks. He's a genius. He's super smart. I love him. He always wants to be doing something with his mind, so he's trying to keep himself busy, but he is really sick and getting older.

(It was also made public since the show that your grandmother, Rosalynn Carter, has been battling dementia. How is she doing?)

I just want to say that she's an amazing woman. She's put in so much work in her life. She's done things for mental health. I want everyone to know how incredibly important and beautiful she is as a person and a grandma. Yeah, she does have dementia and when I see her, she does forget what's going on sometimes, but when she remembers it's amazing. I love her.

I watch that show. I knew Hugo was related to Jimmy Carter very quickly. I knew it would be a longshot, but I was hoping maybe they’d play a video message from him, like they’ve been doing for the other contestants this season

• Like 1

It's unclear if his vision is still working... He was often watching TV late last year..

It's definitely an update downwards...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Sean said:

You have to be really sick to be put on hospice care in the first place.

Isn't it possible to be put in hospice care at a grand old age when you just want to stop your everyday medicine but are not in immediate danger ? Not like cancer patient for example whose hospice care arrival means their chemotherapy or other treatments are not working anymore. I thought it was what happened for Jimmy but don't know if this is possible plus this update seems to tell he was not just old but rather quite sick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Isn't it possible to be put in hospice care at a grand old age when you just want to stop your everyday medicine but are not in immediate danger ? Not like cancer patient for example whose hospice care arrival means their chemotherapy or other treatments are not working anymore. I thought it was what happened for Jimmy but don't know if this possible plus this update seems to tell he was not just old but rather quite sick

Yeah I don’t really think he’s in hospice in the sense we all think. Probably more of a case of letting things take their course, no matter how long it takes

• Like 1

I have the impression that hospice means different things in the UK and USA.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toast said:

I have the impression that hospice means different things in the UK and USA.

And, possibly, when you've got access to decent money too. Like a retirement home for seriously ill people, rather than short term, end of life care.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, arghton said:

Grandson interviewed.

(How is he doing?)

i honestly might think he might make it 99 now, Before anyone says "he is getting sicker and older" I'm aware, But this isn't a critical condition or critically ill type of situation here. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I got 3 facepalms from user "mymango" for suggesting that Jimmy Carter's situation is not that urgent (in May and June).

Whoever that is, I was right, you were wrong.

• Like 4
  • Haha 13
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Facepalm 1

57 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I got 3 facepalms from user "mymango" for suggesting that Jimmy Carter's situation is not that urgent (in May and June).

Whoever that is, I was right, you were wrong.

At this point I feel like he could reach 100. And I wouldn't even be surprised.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

None are you reading properly.

A few months ago, they said "they thought he was near the end when was entering hospice", but then they were confident he would hit 99. That was when people outside his family could stlll see him.

The prognosis now is much graver.

Maybe he will oscillate in a more healthful direction (briefly) again, but I'm growing less confident of this "because he is older"

https://manifold.markets/questions?s=score&f=all&q=jimmy+carter

Given his importance and the amount of time he has spent in such extreme fraility while the world is watching, there's a good chance Jimmy Carter's health will uniquely be the one person's health people over the world will obsess the most over... until AGI...

Whatever it is, his cause of death might just be "old age"...  But it could just be heart failure, like Hans Bethe, who barely hung on for so long til he died...

His grandson either said "Jimmy really is sick" or "Jimmy is really sick". These two could mean very different things - it's unclear which he really said.

And while he still has some time left, his viewcount has now surpassed all but The Queen, and Prince Phillip... https://forums.deathlist.net/forum/2-deathlist-forum/?sortby=views&sortdirection=desc

Whatever it is, I'm gonna bring attention to https://www.crsociety.org/topic/18346-how-long-can-someone-live-with-very-severe-fraility-or-when-bedridden-relevant-bc-jimmy-carter/#comment-46326. It's surprising that no one here also reads.. longevity forums or rapamycin.news or crsociety.org....

My time is better used on other things than this, but whatever, if I'm going to discuss end-of-life *once*, it better be here and then no-where-else (and [for childish reasons] it's unlikely I'll care about anyone as much in the rest of my life)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/9388380/

https://gerontology.fandom.com/wiki/Ye_Ming

Some years after the Korean War, Ye married a woman (aged 94 in
2022). The couple had four children: three daughters (the eldest aged 70
 in 2022), and a son. Their youngest daughter, Ye Fen [Chinese: 叶芬], was
 aged 60 in 2022; according to her, Ye has a frank personality, and is
welcoming. She is his caregiver, as the health of her sister and her
brother are bad. Around 2015, Ye became bedridden.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0953620519303553

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/top-tips-end-life-and-palliative-care-frailty-2022a100159d

https://www.medscape.co.uk/viewarticle/top-tips-end-life-and-palliative-care-frailty-2022a100159d

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7458601/

• Swallowing is often impaired in the later stages of frailty and dementia for reasons such as general weakness, poor positioning, and impaired neuromuscular mechanisms. Aspiration is common, and a wet cough or frequent chest infections should alert clinicians to this possibility.27 Changing the texture of fluids by adding thickeners to drinks and taking medication with yoghurt or jam can improve the situation considerably, as can ensuring that the individual is as upright as possible while eating, drinking, and taking medication. When a patient is known to have a swallowing problem, the use of straws and lidded beakers should be discouraged because they increase the risk of aspiration'
  • Identification is often through situational diagnosis combining clinical indicators indicating end of life need6 including:
    • Two or more unplanned hospital admissions in the past 6-12 months
    • Persistent and recurrent infections
    • Weight loss of 5-10% in the past 6 months
    • Multiple morbidity in addition to frailty
    • Combined frailty and dementia
    • Delirium
    • Exacerbation of falling
    • Rapidly rising frailty score
    • Escalating patient, family or service provider distress
    • Older person asking for palliative care support and/or withdrawal of active treatment
    • What is clear is that older people with frailty will have end of life needs that are often progressive in nature.7
       However, because the presentation of these needs can be sudden as well
      as incremental and unpredictable, the evident risk of deterioration
      should, across all care settings, be a trigger for end of life [care planning](https://www.bgs.org.uk/resources/end-of-life-care-in-frailty-advance-care-planning)
       (see Figure). Identification and planning end-of-life care when
      recovery is not certain is a fundamental aspect of care for all older
      people with frailty, and should be clearly communicated, where
      appropriate, to the older person and their family.

image.thumb.png.abe560424d488c243fbafc2fb8f41322.png

U0lB7NdS2-.png?alt=media&token=2fc56ab2-

https://firebasestorage.googleapis.com/v0/b/firescript-577a2.appspot.com/o/imgs%2Fapp%2Fsimfish%2FU0lB7NdS2-.png?alt=media&token=2fc56ab2-1f8d-4a24-bb6c-34cc68b4feee

Vo Nguyen Giap was also bedridden for years...

• Like 3

Good for you but we aren’t going to read all of that

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@InquilineKea Oh, you're fun at parties? You want the World's Oldest thread for like-minded people.

• Like 2

By "really sick" he meant that Jimmy just pulled off an incredible skateboard trick.

• Like 3

"Many terminally ill people can still exercise until very close to death" would love to see the citation for that assertion. From experience when people are terminally ill and very close to death they are bedbound and usually on a syringe driver and barely if at all conscious.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sean said:

"Many terminally ill people can still exercise until very close to death" would love to see the citation for that assertion. From experience when people are terminally ill and very close to death they are bedbound and usually on a syringe driver and barely if at all conscious.

End of life variations are weird. Knew this guy who got terminal cancer, genuinely proper tough chap yet his immune system gave in and he died within a fortnight.

My wife's grandad looked like a breeze would finishing off, super frail. Same illness, given weeks to live. Decided to enjoy the whisky and takeaways diet, and quietly waited for death but got on with his life... And lived seventeen years! And no one knows how. Other than sods law! He saw his great grandchildren born, and go to school, and eventually died during lockdown in his late eighties. Funny guy, I liked him. Would respond to any "how you doing" with a "well, you know, I'm still fucking dying"!

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, msc said:

End of life variations are weird. Knew this guy who got terminal cancer, genuinely proper tough chap yet his immune system gave in and he died within a fortnight.

My wife's grandad looked like a breeze would finishing off, super frail. Same illness, given weeks to live. Decided to enjoy the whisky and takeaways diet, and quietly waited for death but got on with his life... And lived seventeen years! And no one knows how. Other than sods law! He saw his great grandchildren born, and go to school, and eventually died during lockdown in his late eighties. Funny guy, I liked him. Would respond to any "how you doing" with a "well, you know, I'm still fucking dying"!

Absolutely it varies but when you are "very near the end" usually it means you are actively dying or are very near that point.

I always remember a close friend of my Aunts who died at 61 from ovarian cancer.She was emaciated and you could see all her bones.I visited about 3 weeks before she died and the OT`s came round and walked her from her bed around the lounge.She barely managed it and looked like she had climbed a mountain after a few steps.What amazed me was that her tiny legs could allow her to stand even hunched over with a frame.She died 3 weeks later and never left the bed again alive.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Sean said:

and looked like she had climbed a mountain

Off topic but I climbed a 2200 foot mountain with my dad to celebrate his 90th birthday this week and I'm very proud of his health so I've posted it - there you go! :D

• Like 21

12 hours ago, msc said:

My great granddad had an entire arsenal of funny jokes or responses to being asked that question. Ranging from "Actually, I died the day I couldn't wipe my arse." to "Well, I do miss my old mates, Benson and Hedges." Loved that man, he ended up living to be 96 years old.

• Like 4

On 09/08/2023 at 00:39, maryportfuncity said:

Still make a better president than Trump, mind

i know this is not the thread for it, but since you brought the "Orange Man bad" routine. I honestly thought Trump did an ok job in his first 3 years. Not great, but absolutely not the descent into the abyss of Hell that CNN and MSNBC promised us: decent economy, no new wars...it was just regular conservative business (you know, minus the tweets and the impeachment). I would go as far as to say that his first 3 years of presidency were, in many aspects, better than Carter's term. In fact, most analysts were predicting by the end of 2019 that The Donald was heading into a landslide reelection never seen since Reagan's second term.

Then 2020 came and it all went downhill from there.  Easily the worst year of any president since the Great Depression. Yeah you could say that most of it (COVID, BLM riots) was not his fault and just his bad luck,  but his response clearly did not help. I have no doubt in my mind that if he had just SHUT his mouth, listened to the scientists and made a few masked speeches here and there, urging Americans to stay home and fight this virus like the true patriots they were, the nation would have rallied behind him and he would easily still be president today. Because despite ALL of the shitshow that was 2020, he still BARELY lost that election. Vlogging Through History put it best when he said that out of all his enemies, Trump is his own worst one.

Now back to Carter, I really hope that he would at least get to celebrate his 99th birthday.

• Like 3