maryportfuncity

Dead Pop Stars

So many band 'names' continue on and we know damn well virtually or literally none of the original ensembles are participants, I hate that (preparing a posts for Pets in extra curricular lol).

In philosophy this problem is known as the Ship of Theseus paradox, aka George Washington's axe: "...as in the case of the owner of George Washington's axe which has three times had its handle replaced and twice had its head replaced!"

I had a similar problem at home, when I replaced the power supply of one of my computers, thereby replacing the last original part, its case excepted.

Re the post two above about band "names" continuing, we had a chat hereabouts many years ago about the number of major acts who could actually put a line up on stage fit to claim legitimate legendary status. A few deaths since that chat have likely thinned those ranks. So, how many legendary bands could you actually see this year. I'll start us off with a few "definites" IMHO:

The Rolling Stones (still definitely them and marginally compromised because of the lack of Bill Wyman)

U2 - assuming they qualify as legends

ZZ Top - ditto U2

CSNY - improbably all still breathing, ability to deliver the old fire questionable apart from Neil Young

Pink Floyd (but only if they took the nuclear option of inviting Roger Waters back)

The Smiths - not that it'll ever happen

ABBA - ditto The Smiths

In other words, I'm assuming a Moonless Who is hopelessly short of the real deal, Status Quo aren't legendary and are probs a spent creative force to boot, what remains of The Beach Boys doesn't count as legendary etc.

What do our readers think?

So many band 'names' continue on and we know damn well virtually or literally none of the original ensembles are participants, I hate that (preparing a posts for Pets in extra curricular lol).

In philosophy this problem is known as the Ship of Theseus paradox, aka George Washington's axe: "...as in the case of the owner of George Washington's axe which has three times had its handle replaced and twice had its head replaced!"

I had a similar problem at home, when I replaced the power supply of one of my computers, thereby replacing the last original part, its case excepted.

An idea best expressed in the concept of Trigger's broom in Only Fools and Horses.

An idea best expressed in the concept of Trigger's broom in Only Fools and Horses.

Lee Brilleux was the last original member left in Dr. Feelgood and he died in 1994

You also have bands such as The Castaways, the only original member left is the lead vocalist. The only original member left in Canned Heat is their drummer.

Reminds me about Nikki Sixx of Mötley Crüe who "died" for 2 minutes from a heroin overdose, before being revived.

Lee Brilleux was the last original member left in Dr. Feelgood and he died in 1994

You also have bands such as The Castaways, the only original member left is the lead vocalist. The only original member left in Canned Heat is their drummer.

The Flying Burrito Brothers, who were a seminal country rock band in the late 1960s, still exist, with no original members whatsoever. In fact none of the existing members of the band have been there for more than a few years, which makes me wonder how they got away with using the band's name in the first place. The band's Wiki timeline is quite impressive.

Re the post two above about band "names" continuing, we had a chat hereabouts many years ago about the number of major acts who could actually put a line up on stage fit to claim legitimate legendary status. A few deaths since that chat have likely thinned those ranks. So, how many legendary bands could you actually see this year. I'll start us off with a few "definites" IMHO:

The Rolling Stones (still definitely them and marginally compromised because of the lack of Bill Wyman)

ZZ Top - ditto U2

CSNY - improbably all still breathing, ability to deliver the old fire questionable apart from Neil Young

Pink Floyd (but only if they took the nuclear option of inviting Roger Waters back)

ABBA - ditto The Smiths

In other words, I'm assuming a Moonless Who is hopelessly short of the real deal, Status Quo aren't legendary and are probs a spent creative force to boot, what remains of The Beach Boys doesn't count as legendary etc.

If ABBA were to re-form, they'd have to do with out their bass player Rutger Gunnarsson, who's died suddenly aged 69.

Here he is performing with them at the '74 Eurovision Song Contest.

• Like 1

Pink Floyd is already 40% dead. Sid Barrett and Rock Wright are not around anymore.

Mama's and the Papa's is 75% dead. Sole survivor is Michelle Phillips.

Is Queen still touring with a replacement for Freddie Mercury?

The surviving members of Led Zeppelin would also qualify as legends, but Page and Plant are still quite active. So, John Paul Jones? I guess they did the next best thing by replacing John Bonham with his son that one time.

ZZ Top - ditto U2

ABBA - ditto The Smiths

If ABBA were to re-form, they'd have to do with out their bass player Rutger Gunnarsson, who's died suddenly aged 69.

Here he is performing with them at the '74 Eurovision Song Contest.

As my guilty pleasure, this news hurts.

SC

ZZ Top - ditto U2

ABBA - ditto The Smiths

Chas and Dave ?

The surviving members of Led Zeppelin would also qualify as legends, but Page and Plant are still quite active. So, John Paul Jones? I guess they did the next best thing by replacing John Bonham with his son that one time.

Queen, personally I'm not convinced the current line up is owt but a touring cash machine. Though I'm fairly biased cos I always thought them something of a pantomime. Zep, fair point, nobody struggled to accept the one off reunion to promote the Mothership compilation and by common consent, they still had enough of the original magic to qualify as legends.

Queen, personally I'm not convinced the current line up is owt but a touring cash machine. Though I'm fairly biased cos I always thought them something of a pantomime. Zep, fair point, nobody struggled to accept the one off reunion to promote the Mothership compilation and by common consent, they still had enough of the original magic to qualify as legends.

That lead singer for Queen if I'm not mistaken is some creep (no relation) that came from American Idol I think, I don't even think he won. I pay these incarnations no heed.

• Like 1

That lead singer for Queen if I'm not mistaken is some creep (no relation) that came from American Idol I think, I don't even think he won. I pay these incarnations no heed.

Ah! I had forgotten about Adam Lambert. I remember they once toured with ... no, I'm mistaken again! I thought they toured with the singer of one-hit wonder Stilskin, but no, that was Genesis! That said, before Adam Lambert, there was Paul Rodgers. Also George Michael for one concert.

Ah! I had forgotten about Adam Lambert. I remember they once toured with ... no, I'm mistaken again! I thought they toured with the singer of one-hit wonder Stilskin, but no, that was Genesis! That said, before Adam Lambert, there was Paul Rodgers. Also George Michael for one concert.

I saw Yes at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago wherein four members of Yes over the years, three from the classic line ups plus Geoff (Buggles) Downes, who joined later on, were fronted by a fortysomething Jon Anderson clone. Great gig, really good sound, but I didn't even consider them for this classic discussion.

I saw Yes at the Royal Albert Hall a few years ago wherein four members of Yes over the years, three from the classic line ups plus Geoff (Buggles) Downes, who joined later on, were fronted by a fortysomething Jon Anderson clone. Great gig, really good sound, but I didn't even consider them for this classic discussion.

Another similar case: Kraftwerk, who are still occasionally touring. In fact, they're more involved in retrospectives of their work than making new music, but then, this has been going on since 1985 or so. The current line up of the band only contains one original member, cycling nut Ralf Hütter. There are only two original members, him and Florian Schneider, but the classic albums from Autobahn to Computer World were created mostly by four people, Hütter, Schneider, Karl Bartos and Wolfgang Flür. There's no artistic reason why the band should still exist, the last new album came out in 2003, 18 years after the last one (and there was a remix album in 1991). I don't know why people still would want to watch the band, considering it's not really the band anymore.

Damn you Maryport I typed a similar diatribe re: Yes (my favorite band) and deleted before posting. I echo your sentiments.

SC

Another similar case: Kraftwerk, who are still occasionally touring. In fact, they're more involved in retrospectives of their work than making new music, but then, this has been going on since 1985 or so. The current line up of the band only contains one original member, cycling nut Ralf Hütter. There are only two original members, him and Florian Schneider, but the classic albums from Autobahn to Computer World were created mostly by four people, Hütter, Schneider, Karl Bartos and Wolfgang Flür. There's no artistic reason why the band should still exist, the last new album came out in 2003, 18 years after the last one (and there was a remix album in 1991). I don't know why people still would want to watch the band, considering it's not really the band anymore.

Just bought Kraftwerk tix yesterday tyvm lol. As for music I'm glad thy haven't assaulted their ouvre like 98% of bands do. Give me a good decade of music, rinse, repeat.

SC

• Like 1

I assumed I was dreaming when I saw that Fotheringay were touring again considering Sandy Denny and Trevor Lucas are both long dead. I wasn't dreaming and I'm wondering if I justify the price of a flight to see them.

http://www.fotheringay.com/#!tour/c1ehy

I assumed I was dreaming when I saw that Fotheringay were touring again considering Sandy Denny and Trevor Lucas are both long dead. I wasn't dreaming and I'm wondering if I justify the price of a flight to see them.

http://www.fotheringay.com/#!tour/c1ehy

Isnt that a bit like going to see The Drifters when the originals died yonks ago and the current line up are the third set of singers in their 30s?

Surely you are seeing nothing more than a Fotheringay tribute act that have nicked the name?

Bands replacing frontmen NEVER WORKS. It's always TOTAL BOLLOCKS. The only reason bands do it is for MONEY. Name me ONE TIME that a band has replaced a dead/sacked frontman/woman and they've then been as good as, or better, than they were before. I BET YOU CAN'T......

.....apart from when Iron Maiden brought in Bruce Dickinson to replace Paul Di'Anno. That's the ONLY TIME it's ever worked. But even they fucked that up when they recruited Blaze Bayley to replace Dickinson mid 90s.

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

Bands replacing frontmen NEVER WORKS. It's always TOTAL BOLLOCKS. The only reason bands do it is for MONEY. Name me ONE TIME that a band has replaced a dead/sacked frontman/woman and they've then been as good as, or better, than they were before. I BET YOU CAN'T......

.....apart from when Iron Maiden brought in Bruce Dickinson to replace Paul Di'Anno. That's the ONLY TIME it's ever worked. But even they fucked that up when they recruited Blaze Bayley to replace Dickinson mid 90s.

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

Manfred Mann's replacing of Paul Jones with Mike D'Abo is my suggestion.

Acca dacca ... Bon wasn't the first and there is 'a case' with the Geordie after him too.

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

Queen - bollocks

INXS - pile of wank

Bucks Fizz - utter smeg

I rest my case.

The Stranglers.

Would New Order count?

A) Not sure - do you mean when they replaced Hugh Cornwell*? Or was there a replacement before that, that I obviously wouldn't remember due to my youthfulness?

B) No.

* Hugh Cornwell wrote a song about my shitty hometown 'Please Don't Put Me On A Slow Boat To Trowbridge'

• Like 1